Special Guest: Joe Robinson (Fingerstyle Technique)

Yeah I emailed them earlier today. I assume it’ll take a few days to hear back. Figured I’d ask the community here too just in case that 30% discount code had an expiration date.

1 Like

Don’t forget Justin has some great fingerstyle courses beyond the introductory lessons in the early grades. They just don’t stick out unless you know where to look.

2 Likes

Anything you got James ! But I am finding Hamburgers Essentials a real challenge, so literally have my hand full on the fingerstyle side of things at the moment. ?
:sunglasses:

Hello :wave: , you may want to try to break the task and work on hands separately… as a first step I’m practicing on open strings only, to do the physical practice and automate the pattern, I’ll add the chords later on :blush:

4 Likes

That is a good idea Sylvia! I would suggest to mute your strings while doing your practice and work on rhythm and accents at the same time. For first lil bit, then to chords super slow for a bit.

It seems to have helped me alot with how hard I should be plucking. Over a bit of time, I found out I don’t have to play as hard as I was and I didn’t realize it at first. I was also pushing too hard on the strings. Thankfully I caught some lessons with Lieven and Lee that have helped me greatly with this.

Rock on!
Darren

2 Likes

To anyone who wants to review bits from Joe’s Live Class - the video recording is now available here. Cheers :slight_smile:

10 Likes

yes thank you so much !

1 Like

Cheers Fanny !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Great, Fanny, thanks!

Did anyone ended up getting Joe fingerstyle beginner course ? I did not start the course yet but we could share progress on our journey.

1 Like

@math07 Hi Mathieu, I ended up getting the course, I’ve worked through another beginner fingerstyle course so have a bit of experience, I’m planning on working through Joe’s course before moving onto the another intermediate fingerstyle course. Happy to share progress, support and knowledge with you.

1 Like

Thanks Fanny,
And Of course Joe :man_bowing:

It took a few days before I “dared” to click on it, but when this topic appeared I knew I had to come back here :sunglasses:

I just watched the video because I missed it live, oh boy :flushed: that man can play, It let me start now making the first steps to this thumb switch thing …
I hope that with some fingerstyle lessons and arrangements from Justin this won’t be as complicated in the first few weeks as it feels now in the first 10 minutes…(I know it will get better …but still for now …grrr)

Have people already started with the ‘easy fingerstyle lessons’ (PDF TABS below the video) and how are they doing ?

I’m thinking about recording a video once I’ve survived just step 4…And then I’ll see how and what for the rest :flushed:…bye :rabbit2: :hole: :hole: :hole:

Greetings ,Rogier

2 Likes

I got Joe’s course too. Like @Socio I’ve got some fingerstyle experience, but that really hard part for me is playing fingerstyle while palm muting the bass strings. I usually float completely. Just starting to look at freight train, which is a tune I already play, but this arrangement is different and wants the muted bass too.

1 Like

I’ve been fingerpicking for quite a while now.
I’m also a member of Joe’s Invisible Technique community.
Maybe I can help if you guys have specific questions.
(here is a playlist of my fingerstyle repertoire, not to promote myself or brag, just to back the claim :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2QE5hwVPOfS_uuLBhEyzl9OPCwaMAVNA )

3 Likes

I got Joe’s course and absolutely love it! I have an in-person instructor who has taught me a little fingerstyle so I could already play a few fingerstyle songs. I’m learning a lot from Joe’s course and look forward to practicing the finger patterns each day. (Can easily set aside time in your usual practice routine to go over the exercises). I’m honestly seeing a lot of progress. The beginning is a little bit of a review of stuff you probably already learned from Justin. But the course gets fun when you start learning the thumb and finger patterns. Highly recommend it😊

1 Like

@Socio @mathsjunky @Alexeyd @BeeBee32 @roger_holland Awesome ! We now have a small community to help us getting through that fingerstyle course :slight_smile: I received my thumb picks in the mail yesterday and I will start the first exercices while I am consolidating grade 3. It would be great to see some progress in AVYP once we reach some milestone in the course!

3 Likes

Some milestone for me :smiley:

Greetings

Hi again everyone I just can’t get the hang of this, its harder than learning guitar

Hi Hec, if you tell us a bit about what element you’re having difficulties with then maybe we could offer some advice. In the meantime keep on working on it. You’ll get there.

For anyone who follows the tab of the first PDF step 4 (played at 24:35 lesson video),

Joe says at the end of this short piece that he/it follows the tab pretty exactly (so not exactly :wink:) and so before the end of each chord for the last bass there is a added note, which makes the whole thing “roll” just a little bit better so look out for that.
If you listen carefully to the music you will notice it quickly enough.

And it is not wrong to learn it as in the PDF of course…maybe even a bit more convenient and then add that note yourself just before you continue to the freight train…

Greetings