Direvus - February 2023 - Stairway intro practice by Brendan

:raised_hand: yep me too, I think that’s pretty normal.

I think you’re right about sticking to the course. There’s nothing wrong with having a little go at songs on your Dreamer list that are too hard for you right now, just be kind to yourself and keep in mind this stuff all takes time. If it’s out of reach, put it down to come back to later on. Keep chipping away at the course. Don’t give up on the F chord, it seems impossible at first but you can get there.

1 Like

Thank you. It’s not going to beat me like last time but right now, having a few issues and I think it’s just become a little too overwhelming.

Thanks for helping though. I really do appreciate it

Congrats Brendan, you’ve broken the back of it. Chords, picking etc all working.
I’m going to suggest you examine the angle of your arm / wrist / hand in the picking. You are holding your thumb and fingers in the same plane as though you are holding a sock puppet. Your thumb and 1st finger keep bumping into each other. You need your thumb to stick out and away from the fingers so that they operate in their own free space. As one moves down and the other(s) move up they do not clash.

Other things are finessing, not critical or wrong.
At the start of the section where you pinch strings 4 and 1, make those ring out strong and long for sustain. Pluck them a little harder.
On the small run up in the A string from open to fret 2 to fret 3 try to pick them with strength so they are clear and confident notes that ring.
Similarly with the Dsus4 flick-off.

Good job.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your sharp observations Richard!

Ah yes I see what you mean, never paid attention to that before, but you’re right. That’s going to be a bit of an adjustment for me, but I’ll start trying. Appreciate the advice

Will do.

Yes I did notice the flick off was weak. I am at about a 50/50 on whether I succeed with that on any given play through, unfortunately in this take, I missed it. But everything else in the take was close to as good as I normally get it.

1 Like

Really good Brendan. It’s coming along nicely.

1 Like

Hello Brendan, that was absolutely great :star_struck:. It not only sounded technically right, but you also put the necessary emotions into it. I really enjoyed listening :hugs:.

1 Like

Not much wrong with that, timing was ok, most of the notes were right but more to the point it sounded ok, a bit more attention to detail is all that’s needed to make it shine!

1 Like

Sounded really good to me Brendan. The effort you put in really paid off. Very smooth and confident.

1 Like

Excellent playing, and I always love this classic song.
A must for all guitarists.
Nicely done!

1 Like

sounds great, I’d play around a bit with the emphasis and timing and generally have fun with it, strum or roll some bits etc

1 Like

Sounds great Brendan :exclamation: Love it :exclamation:Thanks for sharing :sunglasses:

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful playing Brendan!

A bunch of guitar store workers are on their way to you with baseball bats now :rofl:

1 Like

You definitely have a handle on this and it sounds very good. Nice clean playing.

1 Like

Hey according to Dagan, the most overplayed song in guitar stores is some Jon Mayer thing, they don’t hear Stairway much anymore these days. So maybe I’m in the clear? :grin:

My mind is now working on a Stairway flashmob guitar store edition…

Absolutely brilliant

1 Like

That sounded superb Brendan. You’ve got that one down. Nice tone and great picking. Super stuff.

1 Like

Nice clean playing Brendan. You’re making great progress.

1 Like