Still Not the Blues

Hey there,
The bends are a bending better I think. You are getting there and doing well along the way. You got some nice licks going on here too. Good stuff! I like the tone you got going as it speaks of the blues, for sure.

Keep up the rock’n blues ways!
LB

Aint that the epitome of how we all learn licks from the greats (no I do not mean ME !!).

Now take that one and experiment with it. Stop mid lick. Stop mid lick return to go and then play it. What happens if you stop on a different note, try it with all of them ? What if you repeat a note 2 or 3 times and not just play it once ? What happens if you stop a note or 2 higher of lower in the scale. Once you have any lick under your fingers, do this and see where it takes you. You’ll be starting to build paragraphs, not just sentences.

And hey it makes for good noodling ! Some things will suck. Bank the ones that don’t. :sunglasses:

Hi David, it’s very good that you are moving forward and the results of your work are clearly visible, good performance, keep it up!
Thanks for sharing

Mike

@NickDelRey Glad you enjoyed it. I was a little bit regretful that I never got my camera angle cropped in closer to just the guitar … those faces of concentration :worried:

@DarrellW thanks for the tip about call ending high and response ending low. First time I’ve picked that up. Currently favourite blues listen is Hubert Sumlin, the album Me and My Guitar. Far from being able to transcribe but his playing is fabulous, worth learning from.

@sairfingers Not at all, I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. ‘Samey’ is something to work on, for sure. Just so much to work at when noodling … timing, chord tones, techniques, space. Mixing up the note lengths more is just one more, plus varying pick attack.

@J.W.C Much appreciated, though it still feels ever so clumsy

@SgtColon glad you enjoyed it … we shall all keep twiddling :grin:

@LBro nothing for it but to keep practicing and slowly slowly things improve. My amp dialed into a warm clean voice with the gain cranked up a bit seems to produce a reasonable tone.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I think I am happy to be lifting licks and tips from my betters, which presents me with lots of options here in the Community :grin: I do need to spend some time on that ‘milk the lick’ drill. I tend to go from bending practicing to wanting to solo my cares away.

@MikeSebastianP appreciate that, happy to be pressing on with this. I may never be able to play some Gary or Peter, like you and a few others do here, but still loads of fun!

2 Likes

Always looking on the bright side David! :laughing:

1 Like

Holy Moley!
The tortoise is leading!
Go man, GO! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@brianlarsen leading from the rear. It is good fun, even when just out the starting blocks.

1 Like

Don’t disturb me while I’m sleeping… I’ve got all the time in the world :wink:

1 Like

@DavidP dropped on this earlier this morning and thought of you but think you will most likely will have seen it before ? :sunglasses:

Just rejigged for whatever Key you’re in. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Toby. It does look familiar. But I think I watched it for fun before. Now I need to watch it slowed down to see what he is doing. And I just know if I copy some of those licks (not withstanding my poor bends and limited vibrato) it still won’t sound anything like as bluesy :laughing:

1 Like

Your progress is so impressive. What all you have done in 5 or so years. Looking forward to seeing your progress 5 years down the road. Nice noodling as far as I can tell. I see your scale/patterns/positions? combinations (I still haven’t figured out the difference between positions & patterns :thinking:). Can I ask what all you used in this?

Everything is correct, and it doesn’t matter at all that someone can do a little more, the most important thing is that it brings joy. I have friends who have a level of playing the guitar
which I hardly ever manage to reach, but I’m not upset either, the most important thing is to do it with pleasure for myself and everyone who might like it too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm interesting to see David writing in Cyrlica :grin: actually that one is interesting perhaps for @LievenDV to pick up - why the platform would quote in a person’s quoting default alphabet and not reply author’s one?

What happened there? first time I see that happening…
I’ll need to check some localisation settings I think :smiley:
Not really finding something useful right away… hmmm.
Labelling this “needs review”

1 Like

@DavidP You might call yourself the tortoise but there’s nothing with that; it IS solid, it is clean, it is smooth and you’re doing great practice to “speak” the blues.
pretty good bending as well, little errors.
Keep it up! :wink:

2 Likes

“Haven’t played that many notes, but said everything that needs to be said.” Brilliant.

1 Like

This sounds great. Lot of great bluesy licks in there. I’m singing them in my head even though I’m finished listening.

1 Like

@pkboo3 thank so much, you are always so encouraging. As far as I know you can use pattern or position interchangeably. Home for me is position 1 of the minor pentatonic. But I am a naughty boy and stray up the neck (towards the bridge) to what I think is position 2, and once or twice down the neck (towards the nut) (no idea of the position number). I think I also might have hit the high e at the 12th fret but only because I know it is a note in the scale and was looking for ways to play over the IV to V chords in the 12BB. It is helping me to know the patterns as well as the notes on the neck.

@MikeSebastianP you are so right!

@LievenDV thanks for the encouragement, especially on the bends. It could drive one right around the bend learning that technique, hearing pitch, and fitting it in to one’s play.

@Mari63 He just sounds so fabulous, so much feeling in his playing.

@Thejoechoi what a compliment, glad you enjoyed it

1 Like