Street artists and melodies

I was wondering if it happened to any of you as well to listen to a street artist playing a melody, probably an old classic like Canā€™t help falling in love or What a wonderful world, on his/her instrument and while you felt the magic of music filling the street you happened to think that the melody notes sounded innacurate here and thereā€¦if you experienced this what are your thoughts about it? Any street performer reading this that can explain how this works?

1 Like

Yes, it happens, especially when itā€™s a beggar or other poor people playing very out-of-tune instruments. Itā€™s unfortunate, but Iā€™m not the kind of person to start lecturing them about proper tuning. I think they have bigger worries than that.

1 Like

Hello Jozsef, I wasnā€™t actually referring to this kind of situation, but to seemingly accomplished musicians with some basic tech-setting as well and pretty decent instruments too. They play so many melodies in a row with no music sheet and create such a magic atmosphere and give joy to many people andā€¦ yet my ear :zipper_mouth_face: ā€¦ this is not in the least a judging point of view, if not a positive and grateful oneā€¦Iā€™m just curious to know how they do that, what happens there to play so beautifully and yet not accurately. I just hope this doesnā€™t sound too silly :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Hi @SILVIA,

I had a related question a few weeks back. I was told it is NOT about learning scales and intervals. hmm.
Not an answer, but not not an answer. :upside_down_face:

There may be some things to interest you in that discussion.

1 Like

Ah OK. We donā€™t really have that kind of buskers around here, at least not where my way usually leads. Maybe itā€™s just a one-off mistake on their part, but if it sounds good, it becomes ā€œtheir versionā€ of the song :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Itā€™s not unusual over here, especially if thereā€™s a fair or some kind of event in the summer - I live close to the sea - maybe with fireworks at night, or over Christmas time etc.

I found this short video on my smartphone which is a good example of what I mean; my husband and I were visiting Lago dā€™Orta, a little gem in the north of Italy, very close to the much wider Lago Maggiore, it was the end of April this year and was Bank Holiday as we celebrate Italyā€™s liberation from Nazism on the 25th of April (just digressing)ā€¦ anyway we were sitting on a bench in front of the lake eating our slice of pizza and having a beer and there was this saxophonist who really made the time we spent there super sweetā€¦and yet I would have sang those songs differently if I had to sing them with my voice.

Absolutely :blush:

2 Likes

I will check it soon as Iā€™ m so interested in scales and theory! But I never allowed myself to practice them too much because I could not make music out of them. Now Iā€™m just starting to understand somethingā€¦maybeā€¦and Iā€™m practicing just the easy C Major in open position.

I think that I know what youā€™re saying now, but I think from what I hear this is a bit of ā€˜artistic licenseā€™ what was being played by bending notes up or down slightly out of pitch to suggest a mood, itā€™s commonly used in some types of music.

1 Like