Strumming On The Beat

@jkahn @MAT1953

Thanks both for your replies, yeah I’m going to be incorporating chord changes into my tappings (probably start on the 2nd or 3rd taps for now).

2 Likes

Hello @rikky_boy and welcome to the Community.

One strum per bar:

Four strums per bar:

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

2 Likes

Perfect thanks mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Richard_close2u I don’t fully understand the concept of downbeats, upbeats, etc. Does Justin have other videos where I can learn more about this in detail? He provides a picture of a music sheet in the “learn more” section. Where can I find more information on how to read this?

Thanks!

1 Like

You should check out all the rhythm lessons in the same module. Cheers.

3 Likes

Hi Dante - check the video lesson @jjw linked. Hopefully it is enough for you for now. Ask other questions if you still have issues.
Cheers :slight_smile: | Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like

So how important is it to doing those “fake” strums after the first strum/beat? I seem to have the foot tapping going alright, (although it gets a little crazy during the Mavericks song) but I just can’t get my hand to do the 3 soundless strums while tapping my foot and making sure my fretting fingers are in the right place. I may have missed something, but how is it going to help?

2 Likes

Hi Rebecca,
The short answer is: it’s important. You’ll be hearing that over and over! But you’re at the beginning of your journey, so don’t stress about it just now. You’ll get it! When I started, I had trouble tapping my foot properly with my strumming - I think I was nearly through grade 1 before I got the hang of it. And I still mess it up when learning a new strumming pattern. (I’m mid-Grade 2 now, so still a beginner.) It takes time for everything to come together, but it will. It happens a bit differently for each of us. Oh - if you haven’t yet, take a look at Nitsuj practicing - that’s Justin learning to play left-handed. It really helped me understand what I should expect to be able to do at various stages.

3 Likes

Thanks. I have watched 3 of Nitsuj’s practices and they were awesome, he was playing almost as badly as me! Kind of an eye opener.

4 Likes

My experience at this stage was that keeping my strumming going was more important than the foot tapping. The foot tapping just messed up my strumming and fretting - too much going on at once.

2 Likes

Merci

1 Like