How do you practice strumming patterns with a metronome?

I am curious how people practice strumming patterns with a metronome. When I practice scales or cord changes with just downstrums, it is obvious.

But what if you want to do 1 2 2A, 3A 4 ?

Would you put the metronome at twice the intended speed so as to have 8 clicks to the bar or would you try and work out the Ands between clicks? The latter seems very confusing to the ear.

When using a metronome the down strums are on the clicks and the up strums are between the clicks. So you keep the metronome at the some bpm that you’re playing and divide the clicks.

The count for thus is 1 2 and miss and 4

2 Likes

Typically on such patterns I would have the metronome beat only 2 times, maybe 4. My foot would tap 2 times per bar.

It took me quite a while to get the hang of playing along to the metronome. At first it took all the joy out of learning so I put it away. Now it’s a great tool to get my timing much better. I’ve been using it on a challenge song where every day for 4 months I played the song along with my metronome. Finally I was able to play the song well enough to sing along and put the metronome away as it’s taken a while to get the singing to work.

The other day I grabbed the metronome on that song again and surprise surprise, I was doing my usual speeding up. Sigh. The metronome speaks the truth.

1 Like

Thanks. I got Justin’s strumming course and he does say to do U between the clicks.

I have been doing scales and cord changes on metronome, but the latter just using DD change DD etc ad nauseum. I will start experimenting with full bar with pattern – change – full bar.

2 Likes

I completed the first part of the strumming techniques course with a metronome when I was working through Grade 1. It helped me get a solid foundation in rhythm especially using Justin’s time trainer allowing you to apply bar breaks etc. Now the metronome is like an old reliable friend.

2 Likes

That made me chuckle. Like an old reliable friend that you need to swear at on the odd time or two.

3 Likes

@tony
More like that old reliable friend beeping at me for not keeping time :wink:

1 Like

You too??? It’s like that’s my super power

Interesting I seen the mention of a new strumming course being released next month. I presume Justin’s updated the strumming techniques course. I might hold fire on starting Part 2 of the current course.

1 Like

It seems that way as I start to work with the metronome developing my fingerstyle.

What I got is a very old course. It has 4 modules, 1A/B and 2A/B. I did 1A. I practiced a lot Pattern 8 which Justin says will matter later. Not sure when I will get to 1B, but probably next weekend. I will try to practice these patterns daily until then.

Thats the one I got Steve. I worked on 4 patterns with a metronome at a time and once I hit the bpm of 120 I then moved onto next 4 patterns. I still haven’t started Part 2 as got too busy with other things. Justin’s time Trainer was great for making sure i was keeping my rhythm i.e. the disappearing metronome trick.

1 Like

The challenge song I mentioned is a fingerstyle song.

@tony Is that the songs name?

No. Challenge songs are those that are a bigger challenge to learn…

The song is Damien’s Rice’s Older Chests.

1 Like

I find it very helpful to use a metronome that has an option to make a different sound on the upbeats / upstrums.

Pro Metronome is the best app I’ve tried, although it can be a little complicated at to use at first.

The other really nice thing about this app is that there are other sound options than the usual clicks and beeps that can make metronome practice so soul crushing (I’m kidding…a little).

I strongly prefer to practice using real drum sounds, usually with a basic 4/4 rock kick/snare/kick/snare pattern, with hi-hat on the upbeats. This is very easy to set up on Pro Metronome.

1 Like