Swapping out pickups, pots and switch

Very odd, will do some digging :thinking:

1 Like

By the the way, putting a resistor in wonā€™t exactly replicate a 250k pot, for various reasons, but it is probably good enough.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

or you could always wire it up EVH Frankie style :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Lefteris Not at all. You just always think something is going to be quite easy until you start it. Iā€™d prefer to have as much knowledge as possible before getting going.

Thank you for the links, that was interesting reading and very informative. Also, Iā€™ll do some measuring, as I donā€™t want to be buying and having to return stuff. Thanks, Iā€™ll also count the teeth as well. Ahh, okay, again, I just thought all the wires would be there :smiley: Iā€™ll ask them for a diagram. Thanks.

@Majik Thank you Keith. That was an interesting read and I think I get the crux of it. It is amazing what is inside your guitar that you never really give much thought to.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thank you Toby.

@snoxracr :rofl: It will probably end up looking something like that anyway Tony but just not working as well.

Another questions Iā€™ve just thought. I now know I need a capacitor and resistor on the volume pot, do I also need to have a capacitor on both tones pots as well?

1 Like

Doing my morning readingā€¦ You are getting a lot of tips here, most you can use, some may not be necessary.

Can you open up your guitar now and take a picture of pickup wiring and pot wiring? We can give you more specific guidance. I know my original thought was just a raw replacement, but I see Lefteris seems to be thinking about a harness commonly used for fast assembly, or needing to add wiring. This should help with the fine details of the swapping.

1 Like

So for those in this thread that have Texas Locos- I purchased two last month and did a swap on my Schecterā€™s neck and middle pickups. I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed with them. They werenā€™t as loud in terms of output volume as the ones I replaced (Schecter house made Diamond Series single coils). Theyā€™re in phase and all that jazz, I did extensive testing to make sure they were the right polarity and such. What could be the reason they put out less volume than I expected?

Hi @artax_2

Fewer turns of the fine wire around the bobbin will produce lower output voltages. The number of turns is a part of the design of the pickup. There are several tradeoffs to make in the design. Notably, desired output level and frequency response are determined by turns.

Higher output level will drive amps harder and put your sound into distortion earlier. More turns shift the level vs frequency peak and rolloff of the pickup lower in frequency, changing how the pickup sounds / responds to your picking.

Donā€™t judge the pickup on the level versus anotherā€™s level. Adjust the amp (or pedal) gain to compensate. You want to judge the timbre and clarity of the pickup to see if it meets your mental goal for tone.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I went for Smoke Stack II with twin coils, even split its pretty hot, that and a couple of Hammer Heads made a snarly HSH set up. :metal:

In addition to what Michael said, did you try raising them closer to the strings?

1 Like

Good suggestion, but yes I did. They were high enough that the string could easily be affected by the magnetic field from the pole pieces. It resulted in a volume increase that I was happy with, however, the pickups were just too close to the strings, so I lowered them again.

I looked at the Smoke Stacks, but didnā€™t want the dual coils. Was worried about overdoing it in terms of changing the way the guitar sounded. I was trying to keep it similar to how it sounded in its stock form. What I was dealing with was a dead oem pickup. I just wanted a simple replacement. Maybe later Iā€™ll be wanting to really change up the sound.

Edited to add - Iā€™d like to hear this guitar youā€™re describing, or maybe already have if they arenā€™t new.

1 Like

If youā€™re not happy with the output itā€™s because theyā€™re not a high output pickup, if you look at the Pig Iron overwound those are - the way to figure out how hot they are is by the resistance, anything around 6.0 to 6.5 is low to medium output, 7.5+ is high output.
The Pig iron overwound pickups will be significantly better for your wants/needs.

2 Likes

Good to know! Iā€™ll keep it in mind. The Iron Gear pickups are so reasonably priced, I wouldnā€™t think twice about purchasing different ones.

2 Likes

Michael, Iā€™m not sure how many you wanted but hopefully these will be okay.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

perfect, you have a lot of room to work in there - not all crammed together like my SG.

This will let us know what you are starting with and we can look for pitfalls for you to avoid.

Thanks!

1 Like

Good luck on your pickup upgrade project Stefan :blush: I took the cowardly and more expensive route of using an Obsidian Wire harness :rofl:

I did come across this free course however that might be useful for you to learn how to do it yourself (I had issues signing up, hopefully youā€™ll have better luck if you decide to check it out):

Seymour Duncan - Pickup Installation 101

1 Like

Hi Stefan,

See this:

Hope it isnā€™t too over-done! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Firas, Iā€™ll take a look at the Seymour Duncan installation.

1 Like