Swas' Learning Log

Hey Saswata, nice story and nicely told.
I am impressed by how quickly you have picked up strumming and changing chords. Very fast progress.

I want to start a Learning Log myself, but getting intimidated with all the nice long stories you guys are able to write about your journey.

Keep it up.

2 Likes

Good idea, Mangesh. Tell your story your way. We often talk here about how comparisons can have such a dark side, when we consider ourselves to be less capable etc. Rather just be inspired and encouraged, then carry on with your adventure. Look forward to reading your LL.

3 Likes

@gmangesh David makes a good point here about the dark side of comparisons. The thing to remember is that the only person you want to compare yourself to with regard to your abilities as a guitar player is the person that you were the day (or week, or year) before. I can’t play as well as Swas or David Preece, or Maggie (Batwoman), or Toby, or a lot of others here, but I can play better than I could play a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

Enjoying your updates!

Another thought for the D cord, and other cords, is that when you find a finger that lags, start placing your fingers with the lagging finger first. Slowly and carefully, and just for a while, but by alternating the first finger down you train towards all down at once.
I had and still have to do this a lot and it has been mentioned in other threads.
It really helped my D cord. I am working on this with my F barre too. Sooo many fingers in that cord!

1 Like

And you may find you play somethings better than I do, somethings not so well.

2 Likes

Hi @gmangesh first of all thank you for reading my journey. It really means a lot to me. Please please realise that I struggle a lot too, the reason I post here is because it keeps me motivated. I have been playing since November and honestly I wasn’t doing anything. I started interviewing for a job at almost the same time, so I had a LOT of free time. So I practiced and practiced. I am glad that my wife didn’t threw me out of the house, hehehe.

I have started the new job at Feb 1st, and I haven’t been able to learn any new things. So I have been consolidating things I’ve learnt, playing atleast for 15-20 mins everyday. My practice routine is all blown out now and I am not progressing at the same pace. But I think it’s okay. Playing guitar is for me is very personal. I am so blessed and glad to have people here who encourage me more and they are here for you too. So please start your LL and you’ll be amazed with the response :hugs:.

2 Likes

Thank you Jamolay, I will try that. And yes the F chord, I wonder how Yoda would’ve played it :grin::grin:.

I totally feel you here. I work pretty hard and often (like most work nights) come home without the energy to actually follow a lesson and learn something new.

Lately we have been away every weekend as well, so little practice happens weekends either.

But, I really enjoy just practicing all the bazillion things I need to practice.
So, forward progress is slow, but it is very soothing and fun and nothing wrong with consolidating or just actually getting better at skills.

It has to happen sometime and we will be better for it.

As long as we keep it fun and don’t get discouraged.

1 Like

No reason to feel like you need to write a long, detailed story here. The point of it is to share where you are in your learning journey right now and maybe a couple of thoughts about where you want to take it next.

1 Like

Log February 2022

I have been consolidating things I have learnt in beginner course 1 for past few weeks. I am currently on module 9 now. Trying to tame the “F” chord. I think I am doing good with the cheats, but I really want to be able to do the barre chord. That’s the target. 6/10 times I am holding the barre (on the electric guitar), it sounds nice, but the problem is changing to it. I need more practice.

Here are some highlights:

I entered the #JustinGuitarSongsApp

I played the first verse of Heart of Gold.

Some logs

I thought it’s been a long time since I recorded something during my practice time. I was actually pretty tired at that moment, and didn’t pay attention to the video at all :sweat_smile:.

Sorry if ads show up on the video, that is not my intent. YouTube told me it matches the melody from the Neil Young’s song and it might run ads. Does it mean I am getting good, lol!

Also this is me really really really struggling with the F chord shape in californication riff. I thought I’d post it here in case I do get better in the future :grin:.

That’s everything for this week, thank you all for reading!

3 Likes

Hi Swas good to hear from ya again. Wow you are really doing well, Heart of Gold was bang on expecially considering that your guitar journey is not that long after all!

Californication - good start and great way to put your first steps as well, will serve as inspiration to others :wink: good luck with the contest, would love to see you featuring at Justin’s channel! :slight_smile:

Meanwhile you can have a look at our Community Open Mic section, we had a cracking night yesterday and I am sure you would be a great addition to the rooster perhaps on the next one :slight_smile: all the best.

2 Likes

You’re a great story teller Swashata. How good it is that you’ve committed yourself to exploring your potential musically. I wish you joy.

Congratulations on your new job too.

Thanks for an update, Swashata. You are making excellent progress. Enjoyed your SongApps rendition of Heart of Gold. You were rocking. And in the first practice you are showing continuing progress in chord forming, changing, and strumming. Great start as Adrian said on Californication. If you need any help on that song, @adi_mrok is the man to ask for pointers and feedback!

Keep on keeping on!

Good job Swas. Some super progress there.

Swas, when I was looking through the unread topics and noticed you have updated your Learning Log it brought a smile to me as I immediately clicked over here. You have such an infectious positivity that I always look forward to your posts. Great job on Heart of Gold! I loved the way you channeled Justin with your greeting, too.

Thanks Adrian. So good to catch up after a long time! I have actually watched a few open mic videos before, and I really loved them. I would definitely love to be a part of it, but right now I am a little overwhelmed with work. I will try my best though.

Thank you very much Maggie. Honestly it is really you, the awesome people of this community who gives me inspiration everyday to keep going and I cannot thank you enough for that.

Yes sir, aye aye sir, super moderator sir :grin:. My whole heartedly congratulations to you. I can only imagine how honorable it is to be a moderator of this great community. Thank you for always inspiring us and having our back. You rock :pray:.

Thank you very much Gordon. I am still following my goal, to play and sing and smile like you :guitar::guitar:.

Oh Dave, thank you very much. Honestly you give me the inspiration to come here and post my crappy videos :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:. If you think my positivity is infectious, then I am sure I got it from the community :grin:. And I am super glad you liked my greeting. I hope our sensei doesn’t mind that I tried copying his style :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I got myself a loved guitar today to replace my now broken acoustic guitar. It’s a Grail Aspire D210CE. It sounds really nice :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:. So I thought I’d record myself playing zombie.

A question to the community, please recommend me a mic I can connect to my phone to get better recorded sound from my amp :pray:

2 Likes

@swashata Wow man loved reading and watching your progress. I’ve been lazy recording myself but you’ve inspired me to get started. Keep on rockin’…

P.S. I’m Jabal from Ahmedabad. Hope to Jam with you someday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice, Swas! Happy NGD! Did you already have that Katana or is that new as well? Your new guitar sounds great, sounds like it has a very bright tone.

1 Like

Thanks Jabal, I’d surely like to jam with you :star_struck:.

Thanks Jabal, I’d surely like to jam with you :star_struck::star_struck:. And a big yes to start recording yourself! The feedback you’d receive from this community would be pure gold!

Thank you very much Dave! I already had the katana. It’s katana mk2 50, I didn’t get the 100 watt one. I got it when I bought the schecter.

And I am glad that you liked my new guitar. I got it from a very cool guy who does guitar reviews. He gave it to me at a great deal and the guitar was very well maintained, looks and feels pretty much new :guitar:. It has a brand new set of strings, which the person is trying out himself for reviewing. So far I am liking the tone. It’s 11-52, while I was previously playing with 10-50. I do like the brighter tone as you’ve mentioned, I will see how it goes.

1 Like