Switching/Upgrading to a Fender Amp

Firas, your experience with the Princeton makes sense - itā€™s just an amp, not a modeller, even though itā€™s a solid state imitating a tube amp. The fender amps were mostly known for their clean sounds rather than overdrive, so youā€™d need pedals etc.

Your questions, which Rob and Rob have also answered somewhat.

Attenuation is not an issue - attenuation is really a valve amp thing (or a modelling-as-valve thing). Volume & Gain control the modelled amps controls, master controls the speaker output itself independently. Yes it sounds good at low volume.

I use the XLR line out almost every day. Itā€™s permanently hooked up to my Focusrite interface. In fact, I only use the amp either via its speakers or the focusrite. I might have plugged headphones directly into it a long time ago, although now if I use headphones itā€™s via my Focusrite. I havenā€™t used itā€™s USB out.

The XLR out uses speaker cabinet modelling. So itā€™s the sound of a miced amp, not the sound of a raw line out. Similar concept to what youā€™re hearing through the speaker, thatā€™s also cab modelled.

Quality of XLR out is good, all my recordings have been via XLR out.

I used the bluetooth streaming for backing tracks a couple of times, but I find it more convenient to play backing tracks on my PC rather than via the amp.

Thanks dude, and cheers for the likes you gave me :wink:

Yeah, the footswitch is awesome. I have one on my GTX-50, really only ended up with a GTX50 instead of 100 because I found one for sale lightly used on ebay pretty cheap, from an older gent that had bought it and then had to move into a retirement village.

Here is where we differ a bit, I use the footswitch & presets a lot, but I also am constantly tweaking and setting up new presets. 99% of the time I use the app for it rather than physical controls.

The only crap thing about the Mustang GTX is that the app is mobile & iPad only. So you canā€™t use your PC to configure the amp. I would find that more convenient.

Yep, sure can, I have that and used it for the dive bomb in my Lonely Boy cover. The EXP-1 is built like a tank. I donā€™t use it much though!

1 Like

Do you turn the master volume down completely whe using xlr out to the pc?

Itā€™s also odd fender have a window desktop app but it only works with the other Mustang ampsā€¦

Yeah, I often turn the master volume down to zero when using the XLR out. Like if Iā€™m using headphones on the PC.

Sometimes I leave it up though, thereā€™s no noticeable delay.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to give it a go! See how it compares to my software amp solutions

1 Like

Hi Firas, you started an interesting thread, thanks for that. I canā€™t contribute but Iā€™m highly interested and bookmarked the thread to follow.
Great insights from @jkahn and @Majik, whoā€™s always giving us so much helpful advice! Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the clarifications JK. I really appreciate it :+1:

@Helen0609 Youā€™re very welcome. If thereā€™s one thing Iā€™ve always been good at, itā€™s asking a lot of questions about anything new that Iā€™m learning :blush: Lots of great answers and insights from everyone in the community here :smiley:

2 Likes

Ok I just tried this

GTX-100 to 2i2 via xls, and direct to headphone out + zero master volume

Its mono as expected but doesnt sound bad for that (you can do 2xXLR if you want stereo - the amp only has 2 speaker anyhow)

Some of the presets sounded a bit rough, most sounded decent and very like the amp

Good variety as expected

If I was just playing at the computer though Archetype Petrucci sounds a better. Its more limited (only 4 ā€˜ampsā€™ and fewer pedals etc) but the modeling seems better and it can do stereo.

1 Like

Latest update:

I visited PMT London today and they had both the Fender Mustang GTX100 and the Boss Katana 100 MkII amps (I might as well test the Katana while I was there since everyone raves about them). The staff there were very friendly, they setup me up with a Fender Strat and gave me free reign to try out both. I spent around 40 mins. with both amps. Hereā€™s what I felt about them (just my personal preferences and initial impressions, as this is nowhere close to being an in-depth review):

• The Fender has a very easy to use and intuitive interface with the physical knobs as well as the digital LCD screen. I could not only scroll between presets, but even customize them (tweak existing FX or add new ones) pretty easily without using the mobile app (Iā€™ll still be using the mobile app, but this is good for quick on the fly tweaks and adjustments). Thatā€™s very convenient. I could also see all the FX and the levels they were configured with on this little LCD screen. Itā€™s tiny but well laid out, has good resolution, and provides great feedback on the settings and any changes I made to them.

• The Katana in comparison, while simple to use and intuitive in terms of having straightforward knobs, preconfigured sounds/amp models (clean, crunch, etc.) but the lack of any kind of screen was a definite negative for me as I couldnā€™t see what FX were being used. Since this amp doesnā€™t have a mobile app, this would force me to use the PC app which is too cumbersome for me.

• As with most modeling amps, out of the 190 presets saved, I only liked a handful of them which is to be expected, maybe 10 of them at the most. That being said, the ones I liked, I loved. Most of them were Fender amp models: Twin, Deluxe, Blues Junior, Princeton not so much. I even liked some of the high gain ones, but keep in mind I only know the basic version of Zombie to test those out with. So I played around with the presets I liked, tweaking the EQ, gain, reverb and even adding some Overdrive FX to them. I loved the variety of sounds I could get with just those few amp models.

• Generally speaking, I liked the Fender tones much better. They sounded fuller than the Katana to me, and I especially liked the tones when I added Overdrive to them on the Katana more so than the Katana. Of course the cleans on the Fender were absolutely beautiful! Literal music to my ears (pun intended) :blush:

• I thought the attenuation levels/knob on the Katana would be a must for me, however, using both the Master Volume and Volume knobs on the Mustang worked better for me. I especially liked that the Volume knob adjusted the preset volume level as they each have different volumes (which was an annoying thing with my Marshall Code 25 as I had to edit those through the app and couldnā€™t do it using the physical knobs).

So overall, getting the chance to play around with both amps next to each other was a great experience that confirmed my choice of the Fender Mustang GTX100. Am I biased? Oh for sure! Iā€™ve been practicing with Mustang Micro for the past 3 weeks, but Iā€™m not reviewing these amps for other people just for me and my tastes and preferences. Iā€™m sure that both amps can do a lot more once you get into their respective FX editing tools (Fender Tone & Boss Tone Studio), I just wanted to know which one sounded better out of the box for me.

Now unfortunately, PMT canā€™t ship directly to Kuwait if I order through their website. Iā€™d have to order it here in London, and take it as extra luggage on my flight back to Kuwait which is a hassle and more expensive. Luckily, Thomann do offer door-to-door shipping directly to Kuwait via UPS Express, so Iā€™m talking to them to place that order for me to hopefully receive it in a few weeks once Iā€™m back home in Kuwait.

Thank you all again for your feedback and inputs, as itā€™s helped me narrow down the right amp for me that will hopefully carry me through the upcoming stages in my guitar learning journey :smiley:

The Katana is a good amp but not a true modeler (you only get a few prebuilt amp types), its advantage is with metal and having a huge range of ā€˜genuineā€™ boss pedals build in.

The fender is a proper full on modeling amp but you generally get clone pedals. It obv works best modeling fender amps but the AC30 etc are great too, its less good at the heavier stuff, and I think the interface given the controls is pretty slick.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s what I gathered from all the in-depth reviews of both that Iā€™d read and seen. I just needed to hear both for myself. Since my preference is more towards clean/crunch/low-gain tones it fits that Iā€™d like the Fender tones more. Itā€™s reassuring to hear them both for myself as I donā€™t have that option back home since none of these are available locally and ordering online blind (or deaf rather) is very risky for me as returning anything would cost me international shipping fees which is expensive.

Yeah tell me about it, $400 to ship my warmoth partsā€¦

Ouch! Yeah New Zealand is quite a bit further than Kuwait. What did you get and where from? Warmoth website direct? I was contemplating getting a Warmoth roasted maple neck for my Squier Affinity Strat a while back but I thought better if it as Iā€™d already spent twice as much as itā€™s worth in upgrades so far :rofl: They were worth it though :blush:

Weā€™re far from anywhere, could have taken a punt with ali express or a cheap kit but noā€¦ sighā€¦

Iā€™ll be posting a NGD/build thread when I get the parts

1 Like

Firas

You wonā€™t be disappointed. I have a Mustang III and replaced all the ā€œfactoryā€ presets over the years. The amp models are pretty darned good IMHO even if the presets are OTT and the GTX is the next generation. I donā€™t think youā€™ll need Thomannā€™s 30 Day return package and Iā€™ve never had any issues with UPS. Enjoy once youā€™re back home.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

@RobDickinson the things we do for our hobbies/obsessions :rofl: Please @mention me when you get everything together and post it on the forums. I love seeing what other people put together for future inspiration.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thanks for the reassurance Toby :blush: Iā€™ve been loving the sound of the Mustang Micro, I just needed the same amp models with the ability to edit them and a bigger speaker which the GTX series essentially is. Looking forward to adding it to my stable of guitar equipment :smiley:

I have a feeling Iā€™ll need to find my Marshall Code 25 amp a new home once the Mustang GTX arrives or maybe keep it for the Marshall amp models. Weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

Interesting you got to compare it head to head with a Katana. I think not a lot of people do that! When I went to buy my first amp & electric guitar, I walked into the guitar shop and asked for a Squier Strat and a Katana. The guy asked me why I wanted a Katana? Because Iā€™d heard about it on the internetā€¦ Anyway, I walked out with the Fender Mustang LT25 (their smallest one) and later upgraded to the GTX.

What BOSS have done really well is totally own social media and youtube as far as presence goes. Every major youtube guitar guy I know of has reviewed BOSS products. I think thatā€™s why the Katana is so successful. Itā€™s a good amp too, though. Fender here, I think they havenā€™t promoted their mustangs the same way.

Enjoy your GTX. As you get deeper into playing youā€™ll find itā€™s got more in it than youā€™re likely to ever need. Even those tones that sound terrible at the moment when playing open chords, sound great when playing lead lines or muted power chords.

2 Likes

I get the feeling its all the pedals in one box with amp. And yeah lots of YouTubers are behind it hard. Its not a bad product, its available and its not that expensive (relativly)

1 Like

It was a happy coincidence as I was checking all the stores nearby in London for the Mustang GTXes. While a lot of them had it for order, none of the ones I found had it in store except for PMT. All 3 stores Iā€™ve visited had the Katana in-store but I didnā€™t even think of trying it. When they setup the Mustang for me to try it out, they plunked it down next to a Katana, so I thought why not? Might as well lay that doubt to rest of which one is better for me.

Funny thing is, a few months ago before I bought the Marshall Code 25, I had emailed Thomann about the Katana (just because everyone was recommending it) but I decided not to get it, and went for the locally available Marshall modeling amp just to dip my foot into the modeling amp world and to avoid risking international shipping.

I agree, Boss have done a fantastic job marketing their hybrid modeling amps whereas Iā€™ve barely heard a whisper of the Fender Mustang GTX which is a shame. The Mustang Micro is better marketed than the GTX. In fact thatā€™s how I learned about the GTXā€™s existence, from the Microā€™s documentation mentioning similar amp models in the GTX line. It probably doesnā€™t help that the footswitch is bundled with the GTX100 which inflates its price abnormally in comparison to the Katana 100 MKII. If you take away the footswitch, the price difference is only $50 - $60 or Euros which is much more reasonable. Most of the reviews I read or heard, would mention how much more expensive the Mustangs were in comparison with the Katanas.

In any case, allā€™s fair in a competitive world :smiley: Glad I stumbled on the Mustang Micro which led me to the Mustang GTX line, and I appreciate all the feedback everyone chipped in with in this thread to help clarify my requirements of this amp.

1 Like

Fender are such a huge company and i feel their focus is on more traditional amps and guitarsā€¦

They are probably just a bit of a mess, like how the LT amps have a windows app and that doesnt work with the GTX amps which have a mobile appā€¦!?!

1 Like

Yeah, the LT vs GTX thing is weird. The GTXes are loads better though. Even if they donā€™t have a PC app.

The LT25ā€™s PC app sucked anyway.