That darn pick

I know the struggle is realā€¦ (Using a Pick)
Iā€™m an advanced beginner ā€œlolā€ I can finger pick and strum with my fingernails. The strumming goes well I just am not liking the tin sound my nails make as they cross the stringsā€¦ I have been trying to use the pick itself and some days itā€™s ok but most times Iā€™m sticking or stabbing the strings to hard. Even when I mute the the strings first and feel like Iā€™m picking softer when I go again it gets harshā€¦ haha. Is it just time? And over time eventually it starts to work?

So appreciate this forum,
Rich

2 Likes

Its a technique , justin has lessons on it

Is important to start with a thin pick and remember to angle it away from the strings and not dig it in.

The strumming goes well I just am not liking the tin sound my nails make as they cross the strings

You should be able to change this with how you strum, and as importantly where you strum, strum closer to the 12th fret and it will sound softer and less tin. You can get a VAST array of sounds out of a guitar using your fingers. More so than a pick.

1 Like

My top tip is to carry a pick around with you for a few days. When you get a moment just roll it around in your fingers. I use the middle finger to move and position it.

The lighter you can hold the pick, the less it will get caught up in the strings. It will move more though, hence, get used to moving it around in your fingers. It doesnā€™t take long, but is a practice thingā€¦

2 Likes

My strumming works easier when I use a very thin pick, like 0.4 mm. Maybe thatā€™s something to try?