The Circle of Fifths - where does it come from, where does it go?

The next and final step, an obvious one hopefully, is simply to erase all superfluous notes leaving just the prominent first / fifth notes to stand alone. Giving us …

The Circle of Fifths

1 Like

The result of all this arranging, matching, pattern spotting, morphing and circling is that we have - quite literally - come full circle. We have reached the point where we have a circle of fifths in front of us. And, crucially, we know its origins, its formation, its essence. We know where it came from.

As a small reward for our efforts so far, here is the coloured circle of fifths again.

2 Likes

In hopes of clarity and good understanding, in hopes of removing any remaining confusion, what follows are further depictions of adjacent major scales with their 1st (root) notes and their 5th notes marked above them.

Compare each of these with the full circle of clusters and the twelve notes of the Circle of Fifths shown alongside.

1 Like

C major → G major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note G on the Circle of Fifths. G is the fifth note in C major (and the root note of G major, our next scale moving clockwiswe).

-

G major → D major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note D on the Circle of Fifths. D is the fifth note in G major (and the root note of D major, our next scale moving clockwise).

-

D major → A major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note A on the Circle of Fifths. A is the fifth note in D major (and the root of A major, our next scale moving clockwise).

-

A major → E major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note E on the Circle of Fifths. E is the fifth note in A major (and the root of E major, our next scale moving clockwise).

-

E major → B major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note B on the Circle of Fifths. B is the fifth note in E major (and the root of B major, our next scale moving clockwise).

-

B major → F# major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note F# on the Circle of Fifths. F# is the fifth note in B major (and the root of F# major, our next scale moving clockwise).

-

Note: F# is the enharmonic equivalent of Gb. For the next comparison we convert and use the Gb major scale. This is because we need to recognise that we are moving to the section of the circle containing flat, not sharp, notes.

1 Like

Gb major → Db major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note Db on the Circle of Fifths. Db is the fifth note in Gb major (and the root of Db major, our next scale moving clockwise).

-

Db major → Ab major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note Ab on the Circle of Fifths. Ab is the fifth note in Db major (and the root of Ab major, our next scale moving clockwise).

-

Ab major → Eb major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note Eb on the Circle of Fifths. Eb is the fifth note in Ab major (and the root of Eb major, our next scale ).

-

Eb major —> Bb major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note Bb on the Circle of Fifths. Bb is the fifth note in Eb major (and the root of Bb major, our next scale moving clockwise).

-

Bb major → F major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note F on the Circle of Fifths. F is the fifth note in Bb major (and the root of F major, our next scale moving clockwise).

-

F major → C major

These two major scales overlap and give us the note C on the Circle of Fifths. C is the fifth note in F major (and the root of C major, our next scale moving clockwise … and also the scale at which we started meaning we have gone full circle).

-

4 Likes

Comment, questions, discussion …

Topic continues with Part 2 below.

1 Like

I may be missing the point, but I think the labels “upper group” and “lower group” should be swapped in the diagram.

Excellent work! Must have taken hours to produce. Thanks.

3 Likes

Thanks for reading and commenting József
Do you mean you think upper and lower need to be swapped within the structure of the quiz answer sheet?
Here is question 11, which is completed on both sides:

The major scale in this question is G major.
The lower group of G major (to the left of the grey cell) is an exact match with the upper group of C major (they make a pair).
The upper group of G major (to the right) is a match with the lower group of D major (another pair).

I hope that answers your query and clarifies the presentation.
Cheers, Richard. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jacksprat Thanks Chris, I appreciate you reading and commenting, and yes, it took hours and hours (and there is much, much more to come, yet more hours). :slight_smile: It’s all a labour of love.

3 Likes

Ah OK, I thought about it the other way around, i.e. the upper part of C major (“upper group”) and the lower part of D major (“lower group”) would yield the G major scale.

Anyway, I’ll spend more time on this as it’s a cool mental exercise.

Will you write about some practical (“real life”) musical applications as well? I know the Co5 comes handy when determining the key signature and it’s common to play a certain riff a perfect fourth higher as a variation, but I can’t recall the same done with a perfect fifth.

And thanks a lot for your efforts! :wink:

1 Like

Hi Richard,

I just want to say what a fantastic piece/reference book you have put up here :man_bowing:… you should make your work of it :blush: :sunglasses:

Thanks and greetings…

1 Like

Thanks Rogier, I appreciate it. :+1:

1 Like

Hang on a minute, there could be a pattern emerging here :wink:

2 Likes

All good. It did take me a minute to double check if the question was meaning the Lower / Upper group of the “given " scale or the” solution" scale

1 Like

That’s really handy , thanks

1 Like

Seeing the expanded version and then the 12 point circle really brings it home that the
WWH W WWH is a sequence that keeps repeating

1 Like

There is plenty to come in future instalments…
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind at all if someone came along with a brown envelope full of pound notes! haha
My reward is the gift of giving and the joy of people appreciating my efforts.

2 Likes

I love the sort of crystal clarity moments in understanding that I hope / think you experienced here.
:+1: