The Circle of Fifths - where does it come from, where does it go?

Excellent work! Must have taken hours to produce. Thanks.

3 Likes

Thanks for reading and commenting József
Do you mean you think upper and lower need to be swapped within the structure of the quiz answer sheet?
Here is question 11, which is completed on both sides:

The major scale in this question is G major.
The lower group of G major (to the left of the grey cell) is an exact match with the upper group of C major (they make a pair).
The upper group of G major (to the right) is a match with the lower group of D major (another pair).

I hope that answers your query and clarifies the presentation.
Cheers, Richard. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@jacksprat Thanks Chris, I appreciate you reading and commenting, and yes, it took hours and hours (and there is much, much more to come, yet more hours). :slight_smile: It’s all a labour of love.

3 Likes

Ah OK, I thought about it the other way around, i.e. the upper part of C major (“upper group”) and the lower part of D major (“lower group”) would yield the G major scale.

Anyway, I’ll spend more time on this as it’s a cool mental exercise.

Will you write about some practical (“real life”) musical applications as well? I know the Co5 comes handy when determining the key signature and it’s common to play a certain riff a perfect fourth higher as a variation, but I can’t recall the same done with a perfect fifth.

And thanks a lot for your efforts! :wink:

1 Like

Hi Richard,

I just want to say what a fantastic piece/reference book you have put up here :man_bowing:… you should make your work of it :blush: :sunglasses:

Thanks and greetings…

1 Like

Thanks Rogier, I appreciate it. :+1:

1 Like

Hang on a minute, there could be a pattern emerging here :wink:

2 Likes

All good. It did take me a minute to double check if the question was meaning the Lower / Upper group of the “given " scale or the” solution" scale

1 Like

That’s really handy , thanks

1 Like

Seeing the expanded version and then the 12 point circle really brings it home that the
WWH W WWH is a sequence that keeps repeating

1 Like

There is plenty to come in future instalments…
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind at all if someone came along with a brown envelope full of pound notes! haha
My reward is the gift of giving and the joy of people appreciating my efforts.

2 Likes

I love the sort of crystal clarity moments in understanding that I hope / think you experienced here.
:+1:

:joy:
When I go to the notary for the first time in a few months in our lives , I have added some people to my list that I did not know before 1.5 years ago… :sunglasses: :blush:
Greetings and i will come back to this… :sunflower:

1 Like

Richard @Richard_close2u

This all looks very interesting and I can sort of see what is going on. I am only on grade 3 music theory so perhaps better wait until this comes up later in the course but have bookmarked it for the future.

If somebody had said to me less than twelve months ago I would be looking at this sort of thing and find it interesting I would not have believed them. At that time my sum knowledge of music theory was having a vague idea what the lines on the stave meant, every good boy etc certainly had no idea what the spaces meant.

Thanks to you and the rest of the community, not to mention Justin for opening this new world to me.

Michael :grinning:

3 Likes

Great work , really interesting - thank you.

1 Like

The Terminator image

1 Like

This has just been stumbled opon, and will read at my leisure, lots to chew over. Thank your for your work, will be quite a learning curve.

1 Like

Thanks Mal.

Had a quick read through on the bus a few weeks back and a proper one now, and it’s super interesting!
Thanks a lot @Richard_close2u for putting your time and effort in to this!
Already looking forward to the next part!

2 Likes