The D Minor Chord

Hello and welcome @drc726
Further down the line there are some songs that require you to have your 3rd finger spare for other bass notes on a Dm chord.
In the early stages it is not pivotal,

3 Likes

I’ve been having exactly the same problem with this .
Is it safe to assume that it’s worth learning/ mastering both fingering patterns eventually then? Playing the B with the 3rd finger almost feels natural but 4th finger feels crowded and like I’m fighting myself. Might just get it out if the way now though if it’s required.

3 Likes

Hello @Paulstation welcome to the Community.

Yes, my view is to learn both.
Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

2 Likes

Justin talks about taking your hand off the frets for chord perfect practise. I’ve been changing chord as it has the same effect and gets those finger positions more deeply ingrained.

2 Likes

Hi Nick, a little later in the lessons Justin will introduce “Perfect Fast Changes” which is a combination of chord perfect and one minute changes. That’s a lot like what you are talking about, I think. The key to all of it is building muscle memory, so that’s what you are already working on, and it is a good thing.

I see this is your first post - feel free to introduce yourself over here on the #community-hub:introduce-yourself topic. Say howdy, tell us a little about yourself, what brings you to Justin’s course and the Community, what kind of music you want to play, etc. I promise you’ll be greeted warmly. A lot of us find this Community as useful as Justin’s lessons.

3 Likes

Hi @nickc744 and welcome to the community.
You’re learning Dm so now have met six chords - A, E, D and Am, Em, Dm.
This advice is a little beyond the sort of practice Justin suggests but does tie in with what you describe that you are doing. See if it is of any help. Or store it for later as you progress.
This takes the idea you have already met and stretches it out a little to address the chord formation in songs when you need to be able to change to and from it.

To improve the Dm chord formation, try this:

• Hold your fingers near to but not touching the strings.
  • Touch the fingers where the chord is but do not press.
  • Once you have all three touching at the correct place then press them down.
  • Do not strum - this is a fretting hand exercise only.
  • Release the pressure after a few seconds but keep touching the strings.
  • Then move your hand away from the strings by a small amount. All fingers away.
  • Repeat the process.

Then, to improve changes to and from the Dm chord and other commonly grouped chords, repeat the above process with one alteration. After the final step of lifting all fingers away, the next cycle would be over the chord that you are changing to. Once that chord has been done and fingers are lifted away, go back to the first chord of the pair. Wash, rinse, repeat.
1 minute - Dm alone
1 minute - Dm & Am
1 minute - Dm and Em
1 minute - Dm and Am
1 minute - Dm alone

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

11 Likes

Following this thread quite closely. (I’m on Grade1 Mod4). I’m also having difficulty with the 124 fingering for Dm. I am comforted by all the comments and advice of @Richard_close2u. Keeping Justin’s advice in mind “it’s gotta work for you” and “it’s gotta be fun” tempered with his advice that it can be hard and you just got to work at it I have decided to switch back to 123 fingering (for now). Like some others, I found that 124 caused my fingers to flail around and clash. Changing to 123 has caused my quick-change figures to improve (but not that much, as 123 is still quite tricky). However, I can play Chocolate Jesus much better and playing along to the app’s Gary Moore/ All your Love is a whole lotta fun.

However, I agree with the advice that, ideally, you should learn both fingering(s). And why not - I already find myself using different fingering for Em depending on the circumstances - sometimes 12 works and other times 23 is better - just horses for courses. Learning both needn’t be confusing - just think of it as a different chord that is a direct substitute to be used whenever required. By the time I need it to play more advanced stuff I’ll have it in my kit-bag.

Richard’s advice, above, (pressing but not strumming) is great and is really helping - so simple.

5 Likes

Yes, but… D is my nemesis. It’s so different. I’ll get it with practice… but I find it more difficult than G or C.

5 Likes

I started on module 4 today. But I really struggle with the Dm chord. Justin says to use fingers 134. But when I put finger 3 on G, there is no strength left in the pinky to push on B string. Been using 123 for now. Maybe need some more practice and stretching.

Another thing is that I find it hard to write down the tabs of the riffs he uses. He goes to fast for me. Even if I rewind a few times.
Why not put the tabs in the video?

So far my frustration :innocent:
Happy days

3 Likes

Hey Toni

Dm fingering is usually 124 not 134, but use what feels best for you!

We just did tabs but they’ll be on the lesson - butting them in the video makes for copyright problems! If you write them yourself you might find the YouTube slow down feature helpful too!

Good luck! J.

8 Likes

I’m honored, the man himself :wink:

Ok, I get the copyright part.
Just need more practice. Module 1,2 and3 went smooth. This module 4 gives me some challenges. But that’s ok.
I find myself always want to go to fast, trying stuff I’m not yet capable of. That is my pitfall.

4 Likes

I meant fingers 124 not 134. My mistake

2 Likes

Hey Toni, I know the feeling with using fingers 124 vice 123. I got to this twice in the classic course using 123. But I started Dm again and slooowly practiced the 124 fingering. Tonight I got a much better time on my OMC’s involving Dm than I did the first 2 times!! You will get it, I know it!! I don’t know about you, but I’m closing in on 66 and my fingers were flailing as well. Between Chocolate Jesus and Ain’t No Sunshine, or other songs, we can nail this chord, keep at it!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

Me again Toni. Regarding the Riff’s, I slow Justin down as much as I need to, to get the tabs. If it is dead slow, so be it. But I still manage to ‘muck it up’, as they say. Use the gear at the bottom of his lessons. Hope this helps!!

3 Likes

@wayne56 I know I will get the Dm chord done when sticking to it.

On the riffs. I use the app, and there is no slowing down the video. Only 10 sec rewind. Or a 2x fast forward. So maybe I have to use the videos on the website for that.

2 Likes

Good advice, Dave, did the same. Had some trouble with the Dm, not to grab the chord, no problems with the 4th finger, but to change from Am or Em back to Dm after several strums in a song. Seemed as if my fingers were stucked on the strings. Had no idea, why I was able to do up to 60 changes from one to another minor chord, but sticking after 4 strums in a song. So I didn’t force it too much any more. When I came back after doing some other stuff, it was much better. Not perfect yet, but it gets better by constant practicing.

4 Likes

Sorry, forgot about the app. I use the website and slow it down when writing out the TAB. Can’t help you with the app. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

This is the first chord where my muscle memory from 25+ years ago isn’t automatically working. I know the chord, can picture the chord, know its sound and the sound of the individual strings, but it’s the first time my fingers haven’t been on autopilot so far.

And that’s probably good because I didn’t spend long on Module 3 (a couple of days) so this will make me slow down and focus on automating these chord changes as much as I can.

I can’t do 124 fingering though. I learned it originally as 123 and unlike with adapting my finger order as with the A Chord (from 123 to 213, which wasn’t so hard) this one seems carved into my brain.

3 Likes

I prefer o231 which may be what you mean. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Using the 4th finger is a suggestion and may be beneficial to people whos stretch doesn’t quite accomodate the “regular” (I use that term with caution :smile:) grip at first.

It is always a good idea to expore all alternate fingerings, and sometimes worth persevering with but not all will suit. There is no right and wrong, just what you can make use of.

3 Likes

that Dm (1 2 4 fingers) has been and still is tough. I use it with “choclate jesus” (Great song , thanks Justin) at 50 BPM and I don’t why it sounsds weird.
If I play each strings they are usually OK but the whole chord sound bad when I switch chords during the song.
Been spendning about two months on it with my boomer brain.
Seems I keep forgetting about it and automation of my fingers don’t work. Any suggestion?
thx

2 Likes