The D Minor Chord

Initially I tried C to Dm, because it feels like a simple rotational/sliding readjustment, but I find that I encounter it more in F to Dm then to G when I see it. Another thing you can do is randomly add it into any other switches you are doing. In other words, when you are doing C-G just throw in a Dm every now and then. To be honest that’s how I incorporated every new chord which I wasn’t sure of what to pair with it. You ll get a feel for what is harder and then you can keep repeating that. Set a metronome to 60 BPM with a change you can already do at that speed and throw in some random Dm. When you can do it over for a couple of minutes and you’ ll be good to try another pairing.

2 Likes

When picking individual strings to see if the strings ring out when doing chord perfect training with chords like Dm (and others chords ,where u mute strings) do u have to chek the muted string as well?

2 Likes

If want to purposely mute a string, it makes sense to confirm that it is muted.

2 Likes

I just learned Dm this evening and it’s the first thing I’ve truly struggled with my learning so far.

I tried 123 fingering instead of 124 and did find it slightly easier. I came here to ask the question as to whether I should persevere with 124 or go with the easier (for me) 123 fingering to discover many people asking, and answering, the same question!

I guess its good to know it’s not just me struggling with Dm.

Tomorrow, I’m going to give both methods a go but I have a feeling I’ll be going the 123 route for now as it feels the less clunky of the two.

2 Likes

It really depends on the context which fingering is more appropriate. I learned the 123 version and stick to it almost always. It enables you to switch to D easily and to use your pinky for Dsus4 or other stuck 3&4 chords.

3 Likes

Hey @ZedExDM , I certainly found Dm to be my first chord to struggle to get right and particularly to change to. I think I started using 124 but quickly went to 123. There’s no issues with either really but early on it can be quite a challenge for some to go 123 but your fingers will naturally develop that ability to stretch.

It’s one of those that’s a “What works for you is what works” in my book.

3 Likes

Thank you. Neither feel particularly easy, but the 123 method feels slightly easier. I do have long fingers and I’m playing on a shorter scale Mustang, so maybe the slight stretch on my third finger is easier for this reason rather than the peculiar feeling of stretching my pinky.

1 Like

I have already done some grade 2 training where justin shows a way to mute strings when playing Dm .Muting the open strings Low E and A when playing Dm to be exact.

1 Like

Must confess I quickly went to 123 as I found 124 a bit of a challenge, that might be a mistake but will come back to 124 at a later date

1 Like

Hi Richard, thanks for your response. It seems nigh impossible for me to get the Dm string with the fingering of the 4th finger on the 2nd string. I’ve been trying to wobble my hands back and forth, angle it in different ways, but only in chord perfect practice can I get it. Once I start changes and playing I’m constantly stopping to try and get the appropriate that will not cause the 1st string to be muted. Additionally, I wonder if it may be extra challenging as I’d initially started out with the CLASSIC Beginner’s Course back in 2019 before stopping for all of last year. Should I just go back to using the 3rd finger, or shall I press on? I’ve only restarted my guitar journey since January, and started Module 4 this week. I also didn’t feel fully confident moving on from 3 (the D chord is my number one challenge, second is playing the Em and Am chords in songs without getting them buzzy) but I was becoming bored and frustrated. Idk, any tips you can give, I would greatly appreciate. Thank you for your time if you’ve made it to the end of this.

1 Like

@Tony0018

For now, Dm, Am, Em, E, C, G.
Longer term it goes along with F and Bb too.

3 Likes

Focus on the correct strings ringing out properly @neonguitarist as you work through the early stages of playing.

Hello @JammasterDee3000 welcome to the Community.

Do whatever it takes to be able to play it for now and incorporate it into grade appropriate songs.
Eventually, you may encounter a song that needs 1, 2, 4 and then will be the time to crack it. By then, your overall slill level nad hand dexterity will have improved.
Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like

What are most common changes to/from D minor?

1 Like

@karende … see several posts answering this up above.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

1 Like

Okidoki thx for replying :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank for the welcome! And yes, this definitely helps. Thanks again!

1 Like

Dm was the first chord to “kick my butt” too. I couldn’t get above 30 changes in any One-minute changes that included the Dm chord. After 6 weeks of 5 days/week practice, I finally decided that I’d move on.

Now, 1 year later, I am learning a song with Dm, and so I started doing 1-minute changes with the Dm again. I went from 30 changes to 50 changes/minute within 2 weeks!

So, don’t lose hope. All the things we practice have a synergistic effect.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for this, Fast-Eddie. It really helps to know.

1 Like

i find it hard to use 4th finger as 3rd finger mutes the high e string.

1 Like