The F Chord Lesson on JustinGuitar

That sounds similar to me Augusto, I’ve got quite big hands and fingers and moving the index finger up is what cured muted B and high E strings for me.

Work on your OMC changes a lot with F is my recommendation, it unlocks so many songs. Good luck!! :+1:

1 Like

will focus on that for at least the rest of the month!! thanks!

1 Like

This advice have been such a big help for me. Thnx a lot. - I found it more easy to practice on fret 3-5 rather on first fret. - I used only index finger first and moved it around as you suggest here, until I found where it works and doesn’t have to be so precise. - When doing the full F-Chord or same barre chord further down the string, I place first pinky and ring, then middlefinger and last the index. - It does work most of the time. - I do feel this muscle between thumb and index need to be trained. So I have the F-chord fret hand ready and just tighten and loosing the grib over and over, without thinking about strumming hand. - Still long way to go before I can use it like the other chords, but your advice was the help needed to get it rolling. Thnx :+1: :sunglasses: :heart: :pray:

2 Likes

This is awesome to read Kim, congratulations! Yes indeed that muscle will strengthen over time, barres are painful there at first, I think Justin mentions it too in the lesson and leading up to it. Some of the exercises in earlier modules are designed to begin strengthening without you knowing why!! Really clever approach and what makes Justin’s lesson plan so good.
Anyway, good luck with the progress from here on and getting your changes worked on :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

For me it is ALWAYS the B string that doesn’t sound!!! All the other strings are fine! UGH!

Like many the F chord is difficult. Some days I get lucky and a few ring true and others it’s just plain terrible. Lol. Not letting it get me down and I reserve a couple minutes every practice to work on the F. I know God willing someday it will come together.

1 Like

The F barre chord is also my long time project. It needs patience and lots of practice, but we will get there :smiley:.

If we were in the same town I’d buy you a beer when that miraculous event occurs.

If you have learnt the F Chord when sitting down has anybody else found it is slightly different and needs a little bit of relearning when you try to play it standing up.
Although I had the strap adjusted so that the guitar is in about the same place when standing up, inevitably there is slight differences but perhaps the main one is that when the guitar is on your leg and it is therefore much more stable and fixed in position.

Michael :question:

I didn’t Michael. I actually found it easier to do the F chord when I was stood up, as my wrist doesn’t have to bend as much as when sitting.

1 Like

Stefan @SgtColon
Interesting but as Justin often says we are all anatomical different.
Michael

1 Like

This is very very challenges. I hope my finger gets stronger over time!

For those of you that have the F chord nailed, how often do you actually now use it?
Obviously for an F chord, but in place of an open chord, eg instead of an open A use the barre

@MrPB,

I haven’t used it, but I think those days are coming. Watch videos of artists playing the things you are aiming at. My observation is that they use barre chords a lot more than we have seen in the classwork so far.
I am prepping myself by practicing grabbing a barre chord from nothing fretted, and then moving to another chord and trying to keep my fingers in shape during the move. I repeat this like a 1-minute change, but it has the addition of the initial chord grab. Ideally, I will transition into playing an open chord song.
Also, near the end of grade 3, there are some uses for barre chords in the lessons. you want to have at least some ability to grab the E and A shapes (the initial F is an E shape) by the time you get to that lesson.

1 Like

Hi Paul,
Daily and several times… :smiley:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hey Paul, it’s not even about how much you use F (although it is quite a lot!) it’s about using barre chords which are in many many songs, and guaranteed they’ll be in a lot of songs you want to play!

Using it in place of an open chord can actually be quite handy. If you’re playing higher up the neck anyway then rather than going back to an open A, using E shape barre at 5th fret is actually more convenient. She’s Electric (which Justin did a lesson on a couple of days ago) shows this quite well actually.

It’s going to vary song by song but getting comfortable barre-ing is worth it for many reasons imo.

1 Like

yep, sorry maybe my question was worded poorly but that.s what what I was getting at. Not necessarily to play F, but to play those other barre chords that are now available up n down the neck using the same shape

How much do you now use it for those vs the open shapes we learn in the course

1 Like

Bit of a difficult one to answer really as it’s so song specific at my stage. And whilst I’m still working on fretboard knowledge I’m being dictated to shapes for a song rather than improvising and making a judgement call myself.

1 Like

It all depends on what style of music you’re playing and whether acoustic or electric guitar. More often open chords are used on acoustic guitars because the open strings sound better they have a nice ring and sustain longer.
More often on electric guitars open strings over power fretted strings or sound better muted or played as barre chords or power chords. Not saying never use barre or power chords on an acoustic but once you get advanced enough you’ll find chords that are better suited up the neck on both acoustic and electric that aren’t Barre chords or open chords.

2 Likes

That makes sense