The Justin Workshops

That does sound like a week of fun, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Hi Stuart, there is actually quite a wide variation of the levels people are playing at. It would be hard for me to estimate what grade you would need to be working at to get the most out of the event . It is not a beginners event but it is not just something for advanced players. If you really fancy something like this I would definitely check with Justin rather than just assuming it is too advanced. Went I went to my first one I had no clue what to expect so it was a relief to see I fitted in ok. I am sure Justin would give good guidance if you were really interested.

1 Like

Hi JK, i am not on instagram but I heard he posted something. Was it the part when Pete pulled my Mark Knopfler headband over my eyes while I was playing ? I told Justin that was actually my best performance of that song , maybe I need to do that more often :grinning:

1 Like

I hope it works out that you can make it sometime, I am sure you would have fun

2 Likes

Cheers Roger. I had no idea what to expect the first time I went so I thought it might help others who are interested to understand a bit more about how these workshops run.

1 Like
3 Likes

What a great summary Eric. Thank you so much for sharing!

Maybe I should go one day…(starts checking how much spare money I have lying around). What gear is the fuel and inspiration for some, playing with others is my thing.

I do but not sure that the missus or the bank would be happy!

I’ve listened to Money literally 100’s of times and never knew it was 7/4. Saying that I’m not sure what 7/4 is!

1 Like

Thanks for the link, it seems you really need to sign up to instagram and I am really trying to resist being on too many social platforms, however I did get my daughter to show me the posting, I see Justin mentions my blindfolded rhythm playing but it is not on the video unfortunately, shame it was my crowning glory to stay in time and play the right chords while unable to see, I have tried to repeat this at home with other songs but unfortunately not with the same results. :confused:

No worries Eric. Glad to hear you had a great time. Thanks for sharing your experience with a fantastic write up. I’m not signed up with Instagram either but was able to watch the clip and cheer you on. It may depend on what browser your using when you click on the link. So next OM you will be playing blindfolded? :wink:

1 Like

Was just grabbing the link and I see Socio already posted it. Looked pretty good, one vid of you playing and another of you and the crew dancing!

My band song on the Friday. When You’re Gone Bryan Adams. Does my bass player look familiar ?

3 Likes

How can he play that, it doesn’t have enough strings?

2 Likes

Think of the iconic bass guitar riff through the verses.

bum bum-da bum bum bum bum bum
Repeated
bum bum-da bum bum bum bum hum
[Vocal enters …]
Money, it’s a hit etc.
Now listen and count:

1 2-& 3 4 5 6 7

1 2-& 3 4 5 6 7

When the big build up brings a dynamic surge the song shifts gear for the guitar solo. Can you listen and sense that the music seems more urgent during the guitar solo? The time signature has altered to 4/4.
As it returns to the verse again the more languid and groovy feeling 7/4 returns. I have seen it also described as 7/8. No matter the bottom of the fraction, focus on a count of 7.
Note, at the very end it shifts to 4/4 again when the lyric outros on the single word ‘away’.

2 Likes

@eric.lennon Thank you for taking the time for such a comprehensive write up, sounds like the workshops are, as expected, an amazing experience. Quite amazing the amount you seem to cover in the week as a whole, the format of playing all lines in a band setting throughout must be invaluable for your overall musicianship, not just guitar.
Would love to follow in your footsteps one day!

Doppelganger surely, he’s not wearing a hat :wink:

1 Like

Wonderful write-up and what an experience, Eric. Great picture and now we know that you rock the LP, even if not (yet) done at a Community OM :wink:

Based on the write-up it looks pretty demanding in terms of being able to learn and play all the required parts. Knowing some of those songs, I’d definitely be happier in the audience and lending a hand to set up mics, the mixing desk, etc.

Would love to see some YT clips of the bands performing on the final day.

@Notter Mark, just for interest sake, Justin wears those caps for a functional reason rather than for fashion/appearance sake. He has a lapel mic clipped onto the brim of the cap. That ensures that the position of the mic relative to his mouth remains consistent, keeping the audio recording consistent, regardless of how his head moves eg when looking away at a PC screen or at some notes. This would not be the case if the mic was clipped onto the shirt front.

1 Like

Thanks David, nice insight into the production values and thought that goes into it! Just an association I’ve built up with Justin through the many hours of video lesson time spent with him :wink:

1 Like

Hello Eric, what an interesting and well written summary. It sounds like that week was quite a lot of work and much fun. Doing four different (and definitely not easy) songs in only four days - including vocals - is amazing :astonished:.
Thanks so much for sharing :hugs:.