The Madman's Learning Log

@BurnsRhythm @Richard_close2u @roger_holland @skinnyt

Thanks for your support. Ok guess I get the message, normal service will be resumed or maybe I’ll resurrect it as The Madman’s New Diary something to ponder.

For those not familiar with all this nonsense, just skip to the Into vids in my YT playlist
The Madman’s Diaries I guess after that invite, there could be a flurry of “No!!” :scream:

NB - It does save an awful lot of typing to just spin the intros out on a video, while talking rubbish ! :rofl:

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Toby
Been away this weekend supporting my team at Wembley so just catching up with things.
Dipped into your diaries, and Chapter 1 leapt out at me, Ralph McTell’s Streets of London saw him in concert at Guildford in the mid 1970’s A very accomplished guitar player and your performance was a very impressive cover, hope you don’t mind the complement. :+1:

Thank you Matt, yes its one for us oldies and a great song to play and sing with some lyric lines that trip you up. Glad you liked it. :sunglasses:

OK time for an update.

It’s my 45th wedding anniversary today and to mark the occasion, I was allowed to add some new gear to the stable. Those who have been paying attention elsewhere will know what’s coming next, so without further ado, drumroll and pics.

5 Likes

45 … best wishes to you and the Madwoman, Toby

What’s your bassis?

Yes folks with eagle eyes will have spotted that these two beauties are missing a couple of strings. :crazy_face:

So the plan was to get one bass, so I ordered the HB JB-20 from Thomann with gigbag (ha as if!!) for just over a ton sterling. I then spent 24 hours lusting over the B-450 QTB in HBs Progressive Series. So cap in hand I went to the missus and said I might have goofed but was told to get the 450 anyway, the plan being to send one back. When I told her how much it had cost for the two, the response was “I thought you’d be spending that on one. Why not keep them both as maybe I could learn bass one day”. Blimey, could have knocked me down with a feather. So I have two basses and they are very very nice.

A Madman’s New Diary Chapter needs filming this evening, as I have been recording today. Then it will be time to get down and dirty with these two. :wink:

6 Likes

Both look great, Toby. Enjoy. I look forward to hearing them and, in particular, how different they may sound playing the same riffs and Reaper treatment.

Sound should be interesting. The JB has single coils, while the 450 has HBs and an onboard pre-amp. :sunglasses:

1 Like

45 years the mrs deserves a medal :medal_sports: next year is 40 for us.

Nice looking basses good things come in pairs

Yep those are big numbers these days. And I would agree she does deserve at least one medal putting up with me for best part of half a century. :rofl:

On the basses, I have found a couple of good Stu Hamm courses on Truefire. Bloke seems to know his way around them. :wink:

1 Like

Man, the stench of that gas-attack has drifted up over La Manche and settled in a a haze over the river Dee… :rofl:
Two basses?
Bonne chance mon ami :wink: :champagne: :tada:
Congrats to you both on your anniversary

1 Like

Congrats on your anniversary.
Can’t wait for you to record the double bass tune. They do look nice.

1 Like

Congratulations on your anniversary.

Looking forward to seeing the AVOYP together :grinning:

1 Like

Congrats on a huge milestone anniversary Toby!

The one with the flame maple top looks super luxe. My penchant for FMTs there :slight_smile:.

Looking forward to some videos now with 3 Tobys… guitar, bass and vox on the same track. :smiley:

Happy Anniversary! Whoooooo, 45! Huge.

And what a guitar collection. Wowser. :slightly_smiling_face: Enjoy!

Happy NGsD. Is that what you call a double bass Toby? Congrats on the anniversary too.

2 Likes

Wow two out of the hat, almost like a magician :grinning: happy Anniversary and NGD Toby, can’t wait for you to give it a spin! :wink:

Who’s a happy boy now? What a bonus if your wife plays bass with you.

Thanks for all the wonderful Anniversary wishes peeps, you are all too kind. :heart:

So learning the bass may take some time but the plan is to add it/them into future multi-track projects but you may have to be patient.

I’ll try and provide some sample sounds later today, if there are not too many clams ! :hear_no_evil:

Watch this space.

1 Like

@sairfingers

Top form there, Gordon!!