The Madman's Learning Log

I’m late to your party Mr J - apologies.
Happy double 6 and happy NGD too.
:slight_smile:

Thank you folks for the wonderful messages. A bity more truss rod tweaking has improved the fret buzz in that one small area a little but still not right (exactly where I need to be for a couple of solos !). So once this weekends out the way I’ll have speaks with my man SRB and drop it round for a fettle.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Man took me ages to find my Log !! This sure is a busy section but I still prefer the Roadcase tag but hey I am just an old timer. So not got the Takamine sorted yet, chaperoning the old dog while the missus has been laid up but life is good.

No musical references this evening just “reflections”. After a week prepping for Open Mix VIII and then having a bit a mare of an evening, I managed to get my usual Dry Runs recorded and signed off by my daughter. Cushty ! The Dry Run vids won’t be posted until after the OM but this time I did a mini Madman’s Diary Chapter, something I started on the old Forum.

Job done I grabbed a beer and settled in our courtyard. May is not a great time to be sitting outside at 2300 but it was a clear night and I love to stargaze. Anyway, I checked in here and read @Richard_close2u latest modal musing, thought back to last year and the musical engagement the first round of his stories engendered in me and how much I learnt.

That got me thinking about The Madman’s Diaries. I’ve been reluctant to do them since the new “community” was launched and felt maybe they were a thing of the past and The Old Forum. I’ve not felt comfortable to take that road again in this Big City.

So chugging on a very nice Bretton beer and watching the odd satellite pass by I recorded this message. You may need to bump the volume a tad, as I was in a mindful moment but let me know what you think.

This is not the first alfresco “diary” I’ve done in my courtyard at night, maybe I should do more.

With a clear sky, passing owls, nearby creatures moving around and mating frogs in full chat it is a very contemplative place. Those who now me well, are aware of my Zen Buddhist leanings despite the manic leanings you may see here. So here we are, a late evening introspective and sadly tonight no Shooting Stars, just satellites.

Discuss. Or as The Clash would say regards the “Diaries”

If you’re an OMer and taking part tomorrow 21st May. Knock yourself out and have a great time. Audience or player, newbie or veteran just absorb the experience, drink it in and enjoy.

11 Likes

You’re sounding very chill there Toby. Glad you’re back in the zone and making music again.

Definitely yes to Madman Diaries, you are a natural as far as it goes for giving some fine ted talks over on your youtube channel (and I am sure the same applies to real life) so wouldn’t mind bringing those back to life! I am actually impressed how you managed to get your face so bright and everything so dark on this clip, looked almost like one of Joe Cocker’s video clips from the past :grinning: all the best Tobe and see you soon!

Madman’s Diary

Certainly not a thing of the past, your musings were always entertaining and inspiring, one of those things that add extra spice to Community activity. I know like a few other folk here, you can tell a tale when writing up a post, to provide a good read but the diary entries were special and something I always looked forward to.

Enjoyed the late night musing and am looking forward to the OM, despite having to settle for a seat in the audience this time round.

Sounded more like a truck to me than an owl, but what do I know? :roll_eyes:

I was going to comment on how smoothly you integrated with the sound of the bands, when I realised they look like the originals and they should live over on the what am I listening to thread.

Toby or not Toby, that is the question
Sigh…

1 Like

Thank you Maggie, not quite sure which zone but at least its not the parking one for now :rofl: Once the OM is out the way, I’ll be taking Richard’s Mode Drones for a muse.

1 Like

I had to switch on the 400w security beam but was still sitting about 22m from the house and nothing behind except my trees, then fields ! Came out quite well. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you David. I’ve been very much in two minds about restarting them, Its still that village v city feeling but at the end of the day, it’s just me, the camera and a load of waffle. See you later.

Twas not I indeed, far too much talent on those originals. They were just painting a picture. The owl screeched past before the filming started and he/she/it seems a right maungy so and so. The odd car went by so that was what you heard. And if you think I am donning the lippy and mascara for future nocturnal banter, think or dream on. :star_struck:

As they might sing, we all live in a global village now, global village now, global village now …

1 Like

A few years ago I was talking to an old farmer and he was saying there weren’t any characters about anymore. We chatted about local people that we knew and decided that there were still some around, you just have to look a bit harder for them these days. Well….from what little I know so far……it would seem The Mad Man Mr Toby Jenner is one of life’s characters. Or was that a ghost I just saw? No wonder the owl was screeching!
I wasn’t in the old forum so I don’t know what your diaries were, but if it’s you telling stories Mr Toby Sir, bring em on.

As for your aversion to learning logs….they’re supposed to be a place for us to share whatever we want to share so there’s no reason why you can’t call it a Road Case if you want. That said, as a beginner, it would be good to hear some of you more established folks telling about your learning in relation to the lessons.

Just my humble tuppence ha’penny

:guitar: David

1 Like

Hey Mr Mad.
You can spin your yarns and all the goodness they bring is my take on it.

1 Like

Also in the big city you have small places and streets where you should be able to feel safe/comfortable and to post/call out what you feel :relieved:…and you have received enough encouragement to continue with it from many already… …but I totally get your point…good luck and looking forward to more… :hugs:

1 Like

Keep them coming, always good to listen to.

@BurnsRhythm @Richard_close2u @roger_holland @skinnyt

Thanks for your support. Ok guess I get the message, normal service will be resumed or maybe I’ll resurrect it as The Madman’s New Diary something to ponder.

For those not familiar with all this nonsense, just skip to the Into vids in my YT playlist
The Madman’s Diaries I guess after that invite, there could be a flurry of “No!!” :scream:

NB - It does save an awful lot of typing to just spin the intros out on a video, while talking rubbish ! :rofl:

3 Likes

Toby
Been away this weekend supporting my team at Wembley so just catching up with things.
Dipped into your diaries, and Chapter 1 leapt out at me, Ralph McTell’s Streets of London saw him in concert at Guildford in the mid 1970’s A very accomplished guitar player and your performance was a very impressive cover, hope you don’t mind the complement. :+1:

Thank you Matt, yes its one for us oldies and a great song to play and sing with some lyric lines that trip you up. Glad you liked it. :sunglasses:

OK time for an update.

It’s my 45th wedding anniversary today and to mark the occasion, I was allowed to add some new gear to the stable. Those who have been paying attention elsewhere will know what’s coming next, so without further ado, drumroll and pics.

5 Likes