The Major 6th Interval

And now... the end is near. It's time to get the Major 6th interval into your musical mind!

View the full lesson at The Major 6th Interval | JustinGuitar

1 Like

My musical mind just pulled this Major 6th interval reference melody out of the music-sphere.
I believe I’ve heard it as an intro and a transition. Can’t think of any specific song, but the melody stands out. For the video tune, click on “Ear Training Sixth Interval Reference Melody” in the link below.

Have a look this lesson.

1 Like

There it is.

Sorry, I’m a little confused.
The major third interval should be 3 tones, not 2 tones, right?
And how many tones/semitones is the major sixth interval from the root note? Thank you.

A major 3rd is 4 semitones; a major 6th is 9 semitones.

A major 3rd is the 3rd note of the major scale, the 6th interval the 6th note of the major scale.

The answers you have above are correct, but I thought I’d add a bit more colour in case it helps …

A semitone is a distance or inteval of 1 fret on the guitar. A tone is two semitones or 2 frets.
The notes in the major scale major scale always follows this formula …

A tone between notes 1 and 2
A tone between notes 2 and 3
A semitone between notes 3 and 4
A tone between notes 4 and 5
A tone between notes 5 and 6
A tone between notes 6 and 7
A semitone between notes 7 and 8 (the octave)

Often this is just written as “T T S T T T S” for short.

In the C major scale the notes are C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C so there is a tone between all notes except between E and F and between B and C where there is a semitone.

A major 3rd is the distance between notes 1 and 3, so the distance between C and E. So that’s 2 tones, or 4 semitones or 4 frets.

A major 6th is the distance between notes 1 and 6, so the distance between C and A. So that’s a total of 4 tones and one semitone. So that’s 9 semitones or 9 frets.