Red_Foster - June 2022 - The Man Who Sold the World (1st AVOYP) + Cosmic Dancer (T. Rex) + Tangerine (Led Zeppelin)

A recent acoustic cover of Bowie’s The Man Who Sold the World with Nirvana’s solo thrown in. I did this as part of a 50-day challenge this spring, in which I recorded a different track each day. Any way, let me know what you think. Cheers!

plus

Cosmic Dancer - T Rex

plus

Tangerine - Led Zeppelin

11 Likes

Welcome to the Community, David.

That sounds really good and the video production to overdub the lead was well done. Beyond me to offer any feedback to aid improvement.

I suggest you follow up with providing an introduction in #community-hub:introduce-yourself, a little personal background, guitar history, and your goals/aspirations following Justin’s teaching.

1 Like

Thanks, DavidP. Happy to be here and excited to explore and get to know the community. Yep, I’ll post an introductions in the community hub shortly.

1 Like

Wow great energy and love the tone of your voice. I’ve practiced that song for a while myself and now this makes me want to back to it to see if I can get the slides as smooth and as confidently as you!

1 Like

Cheers @jestersea . This is one of those songs I learned ages ago but always struggled to record it to even a half-decent standard, so was quite pleased with how this turned out. Definitely a good idea to play along to Nirvana’s recording to practice the solo and really focus on the timing.

Sounded great, nailed the timing on the switch between the chords and riff.

1 Like

Your singing voice has some Bowie qualities in it David, good song choice.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing David, cracking recording and playing :+1:

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the community David. :slight_smile:

That was great with some very smooth playing. How long have you been playing?

1 Like

Thank you everyone.

@SgtColon about 9 years in total although with the better part of a six year gap in the middle. I started learning the guitar when I was at university then stopped in my mid-20s before picking it back up in my early 30s. I feel like it’s only been in the last 1-2 years though that I’ve started to be able to express myself through the instrument rather than just play mechanically. That’s probably easier to hear on original songs I’ve done rather than covers though.

1 Like

Good stuff David. I liked your guitar work and the transitions between strumming and picking the lead riff. Well done.

1 Like

Hi David,
That’s a nice entry… played very tightly, clearly to hear that you’ve been busy for a while… :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Greetings ,Rogier

1 Like

Love me a bit of Bowie, David :smiley:
That was really good and I loved the quick slides.
We had a member on the old forum who challenged himself to play a new song every week for 50 weeks.
But every day… Whoa!
Respect!

1 Like

Cheers @brianlarsen . Well, I cheated a bit. I posted 50 recordings in 50 days, although it wasn’t one every day due to time constraints from work; sometimes I’d record 4 or 5 songs at the weekend and then just a couple during the week. There was a group of about 8 people I did the challenge with and most of them did the challenge for 100 days! I just started it half-way through. Keep an eye open in this forum in the coming days for other recordings I made.

My favourite Bowie album, love this song but can’t say I know the Nirvana version as may have heard it once eons ago. Most of the original album is ingrained in my soul ! So, can’t comment on the solo but thought it was a very good cover, all the essential elements played well and recognisable. Great job.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Maggie. Apart from our English accents I don’t think there’s much comparison to make between my singing and David Bowie’s, he was superb!

Joking aside, thanks for listening and your encouraging comment. :grinning:

1 Like

Another recording from the 50-day challenge I completed this spring, Cosmic Dancer by T. Rex. It’s only been recently that I’ve started to practice singing and playing together, I find it really challenging having two rhythms going on simultaneously, but I’m getting better little by little. Hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think.

8 Likes

Well played and sung, David. Sounds pretty good to me and beyond me to make any suggestions as to what you could be working on to continue to improve, already well beyond my play, sing, and perform level.

1 Like

Love it David :+1:

1 Like

Great job David, cant suggest any improvements on the playing singing parts. On the recording your voice sounded a bit distant compared to the guitar?

1 Like