The Spacing Effect

I enjoyed this lesson. Makes sense based on what I’ve read about how the brain works, and adds colour to what I’ve experienced memorising/learning songs. Even “easy” songs are hard to remember if you just play it a couple of times, but the ones that I play day after day really stick.

5 minutes at a time to learn a complicated song seems too short though, it would take ages to learn that way. When learning something new I usually want to play it a lot longer in the first session. But makes a lot of sense for the repetitions.

2 Likes

The spacing effect lesson is timely since I can use it to leverage Justin’s Campfire, Developer, and Dream song classification system and online singing lessons, both of which I implemented as a result of Justin’s recent respective lessons.

In response to Justin’s recommendation to use a scheduled revision calendar that includes 6 follow-up dates (1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year), I added color-coded tags to my online guitar journey system corresponding to each scheduled date for each song that I add to my calendar.

I’m beginning to prioritize and schedule follow-up dates for existing and new “Developer Songs” that will enable me to systematically transfer each song from “Developer” to “Campfire” status. Furthermore, song transfers should occur sooner than would otherwise be the case if I didn’t use the calendar system. This should also allow me to prioritize and work on “Dreamer” songs sooner than I would otherwise do.

1 Like

Soooooo, you’re saying to practice…less. :thinking: That’s actually going to be harder than memorizing it in the first place.