Thegoog - January 2023 - Free Fallin’ (Jan 13) plus Redemption Song (Jan 28)

I really liked your cover, playing and vocals both. In the original I think Tom Petty takes the vocals up an octave in the chorus. If you were able to do that it would take your cover up a couple of levels. You seem to have a pretty good voice, try experimenting with different keys to see if there’s one that’s workable for you to match TP’s vocal lines. Regardless though I quite enjoyed your version.

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Greg.

A really great version of the song. Nice strumming and singing. I really enjoyed it.

1 Like

You are doing great, Greg. Nice song, good strumming, lovely vocals. Keep up your journey and hope to see you post some more here.

1 Like

Hi Greg :slight_smile:
I love the song and enjoyed listening to your cover. You have a very nice voice too :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi all here is my cover of Bob Marley redemption song. I cut off the first couple of notes when I was trimming the video so as not to show me pressing record! Thought I’d try wearing a band T-shirt instead of the shirt that I had just mown the lawn in like last time… Also this time I did not have to crop out the beer that was next to me in the last one!

10 Likes

Greg, smoothly played and sung from start to finish. Nothing specific I can highlight, either from a point fo something to work on or a moment that stuck out as exceptional. Just a solid, easy on the ear, performance.

My feeling listening to the song was a sense of rushing through it. The tempo felt a little fast (no idea if it is as per the original or not) and like there was no time to even take a breath.

Now you have it down and can play through smoothly, you could take some time to work on getting the kind of laid back reggae/Marley vibe (without necessarily resorting to indulging in a spliff or two :rofl:).

Making it feel good is next level and impossible if one can’t play the song without issues. Much harder to offer tips on how to achieve that as I think it is nuanced in dynamics, accents etc, both on the guitar and when singing.

That aside, make no mistake in terms of the quality of the recording you’ve shared. An inspiring way to start my day!

Thanks David for your constructive and supportive feedback, it gives me something to work on for sure! Much appreciated.

2 Likes

That was very enjoyable Greg, great vocals and smooth strumming. I’m certainly not qualified enough to give advice, however as David pointed out it was a wee bit fast. Excellent job though!:clap::clap:
PS, where are the beers?:beer:

1 Like

Solidly played and sung Greg. The issue with covering a well known reggae song is the listener is expecting a reggae rendition. You put your own spin on the song which is great. I enjoyed that. There’s some difficult phrasing in that song and you coped well with it
Well done.

1 Like

That was very good Greg. As already said you’ve played it at a faster tempo but maybe by choice? Or the way you feel it?

1 Like

Thank you!

Perhaps it’s the way I feel it but I think the more I listen to the original the more I will slow it down. Thank you!

Thank you, the beers are never really very far away!

Good cover Greg, enjoyed that a lot. Your vocals are really soft but powerful at the same time, with nice dynamic changes thrown in.

Cool t-shirt too, love that album :+1:

1 Like

Hello Greg, this was so enjoyable. Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.
I haven’t heard this song before, so I’ve just checked it out on YT. To be honest, I like your version more than the original :blush:. The way you play and sing it, is more Folk-style (which I love). So, strumming pattern and speed sound really good to me. And your voice suited perfectly :smiley::clap::+1:.

1 Like

I though your singing and playing was great and very natural. I agree with one of the other commentors, it felt a little rushed, but now that you have it down you can work on relaxing into it a bit. Great job!

1 Like

Nicely done Greg. Well played and sung. For me, it just needs slowing a bit but then you’ve already covered that.

1 Like

Really enjoyed that. You’ve made it your own version, which I like. It’s such a great tune. Your playing is sharp and your voice really easy on the ear. These are massive lyrics, but I think it’s good you don’t try to appropriate them too much, but just let the song come through.

1 Like

That is an awsome song! And i liked your take on it a lot!
Sounded very nice with a cool vibe. To replicate Marlys laidback style is probably close to impossible, but i liked yours a lot…

Thanks for sharing Greg :+1:
( love your guitar by the way, looks stunning :grin:)

1 Like