Thejoechoi - February 2022 - The Beatles, Romanian song, Somewhere Over The Rainbow progress, John Lennon

I think the guitar got too loud on this one and it drowned out the vocal if anything.

My goal is to just build a solid repertoire of songs. I don’t want to do the guitar player trap of learning the intro and maybe the first verse and moving onto the next. Also work on more challenging stuff as time goes on. I’ve steered clear of songs that I could probably play, but they require some growing pains.

1 Like

Simple one, but a good one. Some of the best songs are pretty simple.

Hi Joe another fine one in your arsenal, that was quite enjoyable! Gosh 1 song a week?! I can learn 1 song a month and still suck at it :joy: respect!

1 Like

Some songs take longer to learn than others. The one I’m planning on posting this week took me 2-3 weeks.

Hey Joe, I listened to this twice. It’s good! Strumming is steady and even, chords sound great. Vocals are good too. Blending high and medium voice ain’t easy.

1 Like

Hi Joe that was really well done. I remember playing this years back when I went through the Old beginners course in the days when I didn’t sing let alone sing and play It’s a real marathon you but were steady right the way through good solid rhythm very impressive. Maybe it’s one I need to revisit and have a sing along.

1 Like

Thanks! Good to hear on the strumming. Had to work on it as I had a tendency to speed or slow down at times.

1 Like

This is definitely a great one to learn.

Hey Joe,
Another fab offering from sunny California.
Great stuff :smiley:
I guess middle class John was emphasising the working class sentiments with the ‘offending’ lyrics. I’ve performed a number of pieces employing that term, but as long as it’s integral to the song, has not ruffled too many feathers.
I was a bit disappointed not to see an old Beatles album leaning against the wall behind you :wink:

2 Likes

I did this one standing up! Realized I haven’t played standing in a looooong time. Couldn’t lean anything against the wall.

1 Like

That’s a nice cover, Joe. I’m a big fan of a lot of Lennon’s songs so always good to hear one.

1 Like

That was a tasty piece of playing and singing Joe.

Your guitar is lovely. What is it?

1 Like

Great cover, Joe, well played. The vocal was fine, but if you want to elevate it I agree with some of the other comments that paying attention to your breath support and movement through your chest and mid-chest/head ranges would probably pay off.

Personally, I’m fine with some swearing or oaths that are part of a song. It’s part of the art. That’s quite a bit different from cursing and swearing in a forum post, in my opinion.

1 Like

That sounded great Joe. I had been unaware of this song until I saw Justin’s lesson. It makes me realize that I haven’t done it in awhile.

1 Like

It’s a Gibson '50s J45. Probably my favorite guitar.

When I sing and play guitar, skill level in both categories go out the window. I guess you have to get really really good at both so the drop isn’t too noticeable :slight_smile:

The song I have planned for next week is giving me jitters already :grimacing:

It’s a great one to learn. I try not to rely on Justin’s lessons for songs these days. Unless it’s a really tricky one. But I like to check my work with his videos.

1 Like

Well done sir! Some tasty rhythm chops there, and a straight up performance, no pretense, raw and natural. Nice share. Dig it.

1 Like