There is no such thing as a "super easy song"...when you're a beginner

Couldnā€™t agree more with you here Tom, hearing that along with Justinā€™s comments from time to time to look back and realise how far youā€™ve come are probably the most encouraging things you can hear on this journey!!

Even if the songs arenā€™t easy, youā€™re still playing proper songs which is the whole point of this thing anyway! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi my name is john
I have been playing guitar badly for about 45 years, or at least I thought it was bad. Then I started Justinā€™s lessons, that is helping me sort out timing issues and going back to the beginning to learn the scales has made such a difference and Improved everything.
However on the subject of whether things are easy or not, it is always difficult to get your fingers trained into new positions for a song you have never played before, particularly if the chords are new to you.
Play for fun, enjoy what you are doing, thereā€™s no real need to get every note perfect like on the record, if you canā€™t get it perfect then make up your own version of that song. If it sounds right to you then it must be right.
Most of all enjoy what you do, be creative , be adventurous, do your own thing. But learn the basics first. Donā€™t be out off by stupid comments

7 Likes

Yeah, some people just seem to have a knack, and pick it up quickly.

I clearly remember a friendā€™s 15 year old stepson, who in his first year of playing, could credibly play and sing whole songs.

Whereas I, who had been trying to learn for about 5 years at that point, could do neither.

It was pretty discouraging at the time, and I was very envious of his talent. But Iā€™ve since realized that itā€™s a mistake compare myself to others. I learn at my own pace, and as long as Iā€™m making progress and having fun - itā€™s all good!

2 Likes

John
Welcome to the community :notes::guitar:

Nicely said @spindlefly

1 Like

I agree itā€™s not great for motivation. I still struggle with ā€œeasyā€ songs two years in.

I think the word ā€œeasyā€ is way over used used by many youtubers, I assume its to lure you in.

2 Likes

After all the years Iā€™ve been playing, I still donā€™t find new chord formations easy at first. As I said before play for fun, play for yourself, enjoy what you play , relax with yourself and it starts to fall into place.

Thanks for the warm welcome :blush:

2 Likes

I agree. Just started, only on day 3 and trying to play I Walk the line. Love the way Justin plays it with more complicated strumming patterns but I find the basic dum, dum, dum, dum strum hard as I find the A chord very hard to change to as itā€™s so squashed. Still, enjoying learning. I even looked up a YouTube video of Johnny Cash live at San Quentin prison (brilliant) and watched Walk the Line movie again last night.

2 Likes

Exactly right.

Playing guitar is not easy.

It just isnā€™t.

Fretting chords is not easy.

Strumming is not easy.

Plucking out notes is not easy.

Keeping a steady rhythm is not easy.

Nothing about this is easy.

As others have said, Justin does a really good thing when he emphasises over and over again in his videos, that this stuff is hard. That it may take weeks of continuous practice before any given skill sounds any good, or feels comfortable to do. It is something that Iā€™ve noticed a lot of guitar teachers fail to mention, and it really very much does need to be mentioned.

I think Justinā€™s left-handed run has given him proper empathy for what itā€™s like to be a beginner, and that comes through in his teaching approach. It makes a huge difference for me.

11 Likes

Certainly has been true for me, having started to play at age 67. Somewhere I read that it takes 10,000 reps to get where you want to be. Thought that couldnā€™t be true at the time. Now Iā€™m a believer.

1 Like