There's something wrong about my Ring Finger

This is a nice video with these types of exercises. Justin’s finger gym is also great for independence and strength.

1 Like

I think I’ve found out where the root of the problem is with my Gs, maybe :crossed_fingers: … I took the time to carefully try out the suggested exercises: @BurnsRhythm exercise is very doable for my ring finger and @sequences one is a bit more challenging, but still doable…thus the problem is not about ring finger being weak, but…observing the way Justin holds the neck of the guitar, especially the way his thumb kind of envelopes the neck…:sob:…why couldn’t I see it before?! :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: my thumb doesn’t seem to be correctly positioned, it’s too far away from the neck and doesn’t provide enough stability for ring and pinky to land on the frets confidently!!! :zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face: Now I’ll try for a few weeks, hoping this is really the root of the problem as it seems :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: Wish me good luck !

2 Likes

Good luck Silvia. Seems like a nice, easy fix if it just the repositioning of your thumb.

1 Like

Let’s hope Stefan! It will require some work though, to do the changes with thumb in a position which is unusual for me, especially now I find the palm of the hand actually mutes the thinnest string…I have to try more and see what works! Thank you :blush:

Mine does that as well Silvia with some chords that I play, so I am trying to get into the habit of making sure I keep my thumb a movable thing, depending on what chord I am going to be playing.

2 Likes

This is something to keep in mind, thanks! Again, trouble shared trouble halved :blush:

1 Like

Sounds like you’re onto something Silvia.
Thumb position is a difficult one to discuss because everyone’s hands are different. Experiment and see what works best for you. Good luck!

Hi Silvia,
Echoing what David @BurnsRhythm says, experiment but don’t force a change if you don’t have a problem… the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” way of thinking. Yet…
Years back, I took a few months of in-person lessons & the instructor kept on me to keep my thumb “centered” on the back of the neck. I didn’t think it would make much of a difference where it was but that became my habit. Now, realizing that many players use the thumb to mute or fret notes on the E string, I’m trying to break the habit because I think my habit is limiting me.
So, evaluate whether you need to change your habits before forcing yourself to change!
My 2 centessimos…

Tod

1 Like

Thanks Tod, I absolutely need to play effortless Gs with ring finger on the root note to reach out all the other notes of the scale with the other fingers so I’ll do whatever takes me there even if I’ll have to sell my soul to the devil :joy:…I’m postponing this to October Routine though, as I’m being too busy this week!

If you sell your soul to the devil, won’t you end up playing fiddle?

1 Like

no, it will sound more like Robert Johnson blues. :slight_smile:

That’s funny Joshua!!! But although Charlie Daniels went down to Georgia to win a “Fiddle ‘O Gold”…

No… in the 1986 movie Crossroads, Steve Vai plays Jack Butler, a man who sold his soul for guitar virtuosity… only to be (SPOILER ALERT) defeated in a contest by Ralph Macchio playing Blues… not the greatest movie but some good guitar playing!

Tod

He should have asked for a refund.

See, that is the problem. Don’t sell your soul to the fiddle player when you want to play guitar.

Playing fiddle is better than playing second fiddle!

But he played the karate kid.

@Jamolay @CATMAN62 You guys call yourself guitar players and don’t know the story of Robert Johnson going to the crossroads and selling his soul to the devil to become the greatest blues player of all time.

1 Like

Robert Johnson

Devil legend

According to legend, as a young man living on a plantation in rural Mississippi, Johnson had a tremendous desire to become a great blues musician. One of the legends often told says that Johnson was instructed to take his guitar to a crossroad near Dockery Plantation at midnight. (There are claims for other sites as the location of the crossroads.) There he was met by a large black man (the Devil) who took the guitar and tuned it. The Devil played a few songs and then returned the guitar to Johnson, giving him mastery of the instrument. This story of a deal with the Devil at the crossroads mirrors the legend of Faust. In exchange for his soul, Johnson was able to create the blues for which he became famous.

2 Likes

I admit my lack of culture. I prefer classical guitar to the blues (although the blues are amazing, too). Heathen that that I am.

1 Like

Watch the movie… it’s very wrapped up in the Robert Johnson folklore… Steve Vai’s character is another musician who sold his soul.

Tod

BTW - I call myself a Guitarist… :laughing:

1 Like

The Classical piece played at the end of the duel is an adaptation of a Paganini concerto. Paganini was also widely believed to have made a deal with the Devil for musical genius several hundred years ago.

Tod

1 Like