"Three Little Birds" - My Second Performance

@SILVIA

Thank you so much! :slight_smile: It’s nice to feel like I have really learned a song. I could, in theory, start playing this one around the proverbial camp fire. :camping: :fire::camping:

@adi_mrok

That makes sense. The other songs I’ll try to learn for my Grade 1 consolidation, I’ll focus on the playing part. I’m probably going to keep revisiting this one occasionally to keep it fresh, and start introducing different strumming patterns to it.

@Eddie_09

Hi Eddie! Thank you so much. That is very kind. What can I say, I guess I’m just happy to be here. :smile:

@NicoleKKB

Hi Nicole! Thank you so much! The singing and playing part really is a whole skill of its own. I was very happy by the end of this video because I realized I was actually doing it. It reminds me of when I learned to trackstand, to balance in one place on a bicycle; it took a lot of practice, many weeks of drills and exercises leading to it… but then there was a day when it suddenly “clicked” in my brain, and I was able to do it. It felt similarly here.

Thanks everyone! This is a very supportive community! :heart:

Grace and Peace,
Todd
:guitar: :mountain_biking_man: :ambulance: :stethoscope:

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.” - Søren Kierkegaard

1 Like

Excellent progress, Todd, better than last time and in my book if we keep on keeping on and being better than last time then we are doing just great.

As you say, a couple of hesitant chord changes. Worth thinking about those to know the reason … was it due to thinking about singing and losing focus on playing (that’s why singing is strictly optional when tracking progress), was it a moment of chord shape uncertainty, something else?

And once or twice you lost a strum from a bar, 3 strums on the chord rather than 4, which may also be more caused by the singing and playing. You did get it spot on nearly all the time.

From as memorising perspective, the idea is to memorise the chord progressions of the songs. So you can pick up a guitar at a party, play Three Little BIrds, and let everybody else take care of the singing.

Keep doing what you are doing, love the progress and enthusiasm.

1 Like

Great job Todd! There was a noticeable improvement in this version versus the first one. You are making great progress for only 8 weeks in. I think it’s amazing that you are able to play and sing together early on. It is such a good skill to develop. Looking forward to your next version!

1 Like

@SocratesDiedTrolling Todd, You are playing great for just 8 weeks into your guitar learning journey. Your strumming and playing chords was improved some, but the biggest improvement was the vocals. You sang with more confidence and in rhythm with your playing. I have some choral singing background too and have played to accompany myself for years. When you can play the chord changes without thinking, then it will be easier to focus on your singing. My hat is off to you for putting yourself out there for the community to see and hear. It sounds like you are having fun. I look forward to hearing your progress in the future.

1 Like

@Jenndye429

Thank you so much! Justin’s lesson, with his 10 steps for learning to sing and play a song, was very helpful. I was struggling through in my first recording without really having listened to the song in a very long time. I literally just sat down with the songbook and tried to sing it and play it. As Justin says in his video, “listening is how we learn music.” So, for my second recording, I listened to the original recording so many times and then strummed along with the recording, and finally played and sang along with the recording. That really helped solidify the song in my mind.

@SteveL_G99

Thanks, Steve! My vocals were definitely a lot more easy this time. The first time, I was barely getting words out while I focused so much on playing. I suppose, at this point, the playing of this song has become much more “automated” for me, so, singing came much more easily. I could easily play this song, or sing it. The combination is what makes it hard, and that’s all down to neurology! It’s a fascinating thing, really, from the standpoint of motor learning (a course which I took in college; I bet my professor would love it as a case study).

@DavidP

Thanks, David!

I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel that playing this song is easy for me now, and these chords are very easy for me now, but, I could probably use more practice to make it even more “automated” so that my brain can do the singing part at the same time. It’s getting there!

I would have to watch the video again, but, yes, I do remember losing some strums. I think that they involved times when I was focused on the singing, and sort of lost my way with when to switch chords. I also, at one point, was trying to compensate for something on the fly, as I recall. Like, maybe I put an extra beat on one chord, so then I shortened the next chord by one beat so that I didn’t get off of the beat.

Thank you so much! Glad to be here! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Todd,
I hate when my pick circumnavigates itself! As others have noted, I thought your chord changes and tempo was great and improved over your first performance. Especially since you’re only 8 weeks in as of this recording! I’m just starting Grade 2 and I’m dragging my feet putting out a video of myself. Soon though!

Question, what is your set up to record onto your pc? I’d like to set up something similar.
Dave C

1 Like

Hi Dave!

Thank you so much!

I’m definitely still trying to figure out pick-holding. I started out with thin nylon picks as Justin recommended (Dunlop Nylon, 0.46mm). I thought I would move up incrementally, and was using a Dunlop Nylon 0.60mm here. So, I’m holding it lighter. I used to death grip the 0.46 originally, but they are so flimsy it works.

As far as my recording setup, I’m using a Presonus AudioBox USB 96 for my audio interface. It has two inputs, both of which are combo (either 1/4" [guitar cable] or XLR [a common microphone cable]). One input also has phantom power, for mics that may require it. So, you probably want some closed-back headphones (to limit the noise bleeding out) and a microphone to go with it if recording vocals, an acoustic, or what have you.

The AudioBox comes with a free, light version of their DAW (audio mixing, recording, etc., software), Studio One. To record to video, I’m using a free piece of software called OBS. I had to install a free plugin to connect the two pieces of software. There are a couple threads on here about that process which really helped, and I’d be glad to answer questions or direct to some resources.

So far, I’ve had no problems with any of it really. I’m happy with it for now. If I get really into recording/producing, I may branch out with software, but the free stuff is doing fine for now.

Best,
Todd

1 Like

Like I always say, “if its free, its for me!” I’ll look into your recommendations as it sounds like your set up is what I’m looking for. I don’t see me doing a lot of recording but when I do, I’d like it to sound decent. Plus, I love buying new toys! Your audio and vocals def sound good with no background noise leaking in. Thanks for the info. Now, I’m off to practice!
See ya,
Dave

1 Like

Making mistakes, as we all do, but keeping going as you did is a massive step in the right direction. Good steady rhythm all through, which is one solid foundation at your stage. You are not glued looking at your fretboard, which took me a long time to overcome. AND singing and playing at the same time after just 8 weeks - what a great job. Thumbs up from me.

1 Like

@drc726

There are many similar devices on the market, such as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but, I’ve had no problems so far with the AudioBox. Glad to help!

@Keith2

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@SocratesDiedTrolling I actually just spent the last couple of days “going down the rabbit hole” of audio interface devices and home recording basics. Man, GAS is definitely a dangerous thing! I have a Mustang Mini that I’m going to try to use as an interim AI along with Audacity and OBS to try to produce something. We’ll see. Every once in awhile, my wife knocks on the spare bedroom door that I use for a “music studio” to see if I’m still alive. This is fun!
Dave C

2 Likes

That was great. Your changes are sounding REALLY good. Can’t wait for your next stage!

1 Like

Well done!

The only small piece of advice that I would recommend is to align your seat/posture so that you can tap your foot in rhythm as comfortably as possible. If you are adamant about that now, it just becomes 2nd nature.

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Hi Todd,

You’re a natural in front of the camera.

Great to hear some Bob - and what a joyful tune; can’t fail to put a smile on your face. This is a song for the times if ever there was one.

Nice clean strumming, good vocal. Happy days.

Digger

1 Like

Well good pal

1 Like

@Endureth @Traveler @Digger72 @Guitarman1963

Thank you, all, for the kind words, and suggestions! I appreciate it! :slight_smile: I do intend to do more Bob in the future; in particular, I want to do Redemption Song. That song really moves me. I do love Bob Marley, and Ska and Reggae more generally, so, there will probably be more of that in the future as well, at some point.

1 Like

Big change from the first playthrough. Good work :slight_smile:

1 Like