Todd's Beginner G1 Consolidation Songs

For your viewing pleasure, here are three more performances, for my Beginner Grade 1 Consolidation Process

Song 3 of 6 “For What It’s Worth” by Buffalo Springfield.

I chose this song because it was one of the first songs within Justin’s app where I actually felt like I was doing something… musical and recognizable. Like, even at this very beginner level, the chorus is very recognizable to me, so that made me feel like I was really doing something. I think it was also the first song in my lessons with a chord change mid-bar. So, in the beginning, it was a bit more interesting than the other songs available to me.

At this point, it’s a relatively easy song for me to play, but I wanted to perform it for sentimental reasons. Also, it’s just a fun song. I’d like to do a more advanced version someday, perhaps a multitrack recording with me doing a few different guitar parts (rhythm, harmonics, and the riff) and singing.

The Whole Enchilada:

Skipping 2:59 of Astounding Introduction:

Song 4 of 6: “Mad World” by Tears for Fears, covered by Gary Jules

I chose this one because one of my friends told me that my videos were sad and they made her want to find my apartment and hug me. So, I chose this uplifting number to dedicate to her. Also, I really enjoy this chord progression.

The Whole Enchilada

Avoiding 1:56 of Endearing Introduction:

Song 5 of 6: “A Horse With No Name” by America

This one allows me to play one weird chord and one less weird chord, repeatedly, for a long time. So, all by itself, it’s pretty boring. I played Justin’s App’s backing track on my phone to go with it, but it wasn’t loud enough to be picked up by my mic apparently. (I also had the mic in directed mode, which didn’t help it pick up the phone on the opposite side.)

One nice thing, this is good practice for strumming the Old Faithful pattern at 125bpm for over four minutes. So, I guess it goes to show I’ve passed the Grade 1 objective of strumming old faithful at 80bpm.

The Whole Enchilada

Avoiding An Amazing Introduction

7 Likes

Hi Todd, you’re coming along really nicely here, the improvement is sooo noticeable, an overall well done. The chords are super clean now, nice and quick changes and your strumming is becoming really smooth, it’s really cool to see.

I really liked the use of the phaser in For What it’s Worth, added a lot of ambience like the original. I’d start to look at getting into some dynamic changes with your strumming a little bit at this point as you’re getting more comfortable with the fundamentals. Particularly for Mad World and Horse With No Name for example, go quieter in the verses and kick up in the chorus. I too look forward to hearing you sing along with Mad World!

Great to see your practice reaping suitable rewards! :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I appreciate the feedback!

Sounding good Todd, you must be nearly ready to tackle grade 2.

If you wanted to challenge yourself a bit, try for some different strumming patterns. A Horse With No Name in particular has a tricky strumming pattern if you do it like the album which really gives it that cowboy feel. Check on Justin’s lesson on it if you’re going to give it a shot.

1 Like

Three great songs there Todd. You can clearly see your improvement with these three. Some great advice from Mark and JK.

1 Like

@SgtColon @jkahn

Thanks, all!

I had watched Justin’s video for “Horse with No Name” quite a while ago, but then my recent practice was with the app, which just listed the Old Faithful strumming pattern. I think I will go back and try learning the pattern from the video now. Seems a bit more interesting as well, alternating patterns with the alternating chords.

1 Like

Cool! Nice collection of songs. I’ve been playing along with Mad World myself as part of Grade 1 Module 6. I’m also trying to learn a few songs by heart as I finish up Grade 1. Your chord changes and strumming look pretty good to me! I am still struggling with fast enough changes for things like the jumps from C to D. Keep it up :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s all coming along nicely Todd. Steady strumming and clean chords. Definitely time for more dynamics in your play. Mix up the strum pattern, play more loudly for the chorus, that sort of thing.

Sounds like the sad songs are a winner Todd. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi Todd,
I’m so glad Gordon ticks it, I didn’t dare to be the first :blush: .
I just wanted to add…go learn from Brian about what songs to pick because then it’s going to be full of women wanting to hug you… :smile::bulb: by ,i`m writing :innocent:
Keep it up :sunglasses: Greetings…

1 Like

Hey Todd, I swung to see how you’re getting on, but admit I only had a listen to the Enchilada with no Name. I enjoyed your chat and the playing was steady enough. Good stuff.
You mentioned that it would be boring for the listener, just listening to two chords for the whole track, so would include the backing track. Then you played it through your headphones! :rofl:
You’re on the right track. Keep it up, dude! :sunglasses:

@roger_holland, what did I say about tagging me, esp. when I’m not following as much these days? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
(I think it’s my sartorial flair that attracts the babes :rofl:)

2 Likes

Hi Brian @brianlarsen :innocent:

:rofl:

I had already written in the story above @Brain and that you still had a tag credit from me (even if you had failed to do so yourself :thinking:) but figured I wasn’t joking about you or insulting you in any way (which you did about me then :thinking:), so I decided not to bother you… and let fate decide (hey there might be a song in there :smile:)…

that attraction can also be something like the stockholm syndrome :laughing:

Bye Bye Dear … :smile:

Edit: I see I also tagged a “wrong” brian :upside_down_face: … If you read this …Hi Other brian ,welcome to the community :smiley: :sunglasses:

2 Likes