Triad Chord Analysis

Justin has a great lesson called “chords in a key”. He explains it a lot better then I, so I won’t even bother to try (Will add the link later).

Long story short, the “chords on the key (=diatonic) of C” are

C Dm Em F G Am Bdim
( if you want to know why, see the video)

As the chord “Em” is in the key or c it is a “diatonic chord” for the key of C.
Example1: E MAJOR is not in the key of c and therefore not a diatonic chord (in the key of c). Reason: should me major, but it is minor.
Example2: Eb Minor is not in the key of c and therefore not a diatonic chord. Reason: is minor but it should not have a b.

——

Triads have nothing to do with the stuff described until now. A triads describes a chord which is made up of 3 notes (3 = three = triad). As a contrast: Chords made up of 4 notes are (how Justin Calls it) “quadads” (or four note chords).

——

So a “diatonic triad” is a chord which is made up of three notes which belongs to a specific key. It would not make sense to say only “the G triad is diatonic” without referencing the key it belongs to. For example Gmajor would be a diatonic triad for the key of C and also for the key of D. It would not be a diatonic triad for the key of A (for example).

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

For me this daft little memonic works. ace is ACE, BiDoF, CEGarettes, DivA (v for F), EGBert, FAC (self explanatory) and Great British Disaster

1 Like

I’m halfway through the quiz and am realising that I’m visualising piano keys instead of guitar frets/strings. Is this wrong? Should I be trying to visualise the guitar instead?

1 Like

@Pronewbie Yes, as far as possible, use your keyboard knowledge but try to visualise a guitar fretboard.

1 Like

Hi,

This music theory course is excellent and I’m learning a lot.
However, in the 4.1 quiz question 3 about filling in the missing notes of minor triads, the last triad shouldn’t it be Eb Gb Bb instead of Eb Gb Db which is stated also on the answering page, or am I going wrong in my analyse in some way?

1 Like

@Hyzzan

You have written the first five scale degrees of the E major scale above for reference.
If that helps you arrive at the Eb major scale easier all good.
You took a shortcut and did not write to the seventh scale degrees so I will do that.

E → F# → G# → A → B → C# → D#

Eb → F → G → Ab → Bb → C → D

1 → 2 → 3 → 4 → 5 → 6 → 7

In forming a triad for Eb Major you choose the 1, 3 and 5.

Eb major triad = Eb, G, Bb

Therefore …

Eb minor triad = Eb, Gb, Bb

You have found a typo my friend. Thanks for raising an alert on this. Which document have you used? Which download is it?

1 Like

Thanks Richard for the quick response and clarification. Then I know I had got it right and didn’t misunderstood something.

I was using the Practical Music Theory Grade 4 Module 1 pdf and its belonging Theory Quiz 4.1.

Regards Robert

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Triad Chord Theory Worksheet

@Hyzzan

The errors should now be fixed thanks to @larynejg
:slight_smile:

Thanks for this fantastic lesson Justin.
I got 19/20 right (I made a silly mistake on the last one). My question is - do we need to know this by-heart at this stage?

1 Like

The answer depends on whether your actual, practical playing skills are behind, in line with or ahead of where you are in the theory course.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Richard - I have a similar question to the one Santosh @sansubr poses. I’m consolidating Beginner Grade 2 (and plan to spend at least a couple of months doing this) while working through the PMT course. I’ve just begun working on the Major Triad Grips exercises in Module 4.1. Given my current physical skill level, I’ll be doing these exercises (and the following ones for the minor triads and arpeggios) for quite a while. :blush: With that background, I think my question is: would it be appropriate for me to move on to PMT Module 4.2 even as I continue working on the triad grips?

Santosh - I hope my question is useful for you as well! Oh - and welcome to the community! If you have a minute, head over here and introduce yourself. :slightly_smiling_face:

Judi, I see no reason to stop mid-way through Grade 4 of PMT even as you work on and become more familiar with aspects within it. Nor is there any harm in pausing and enjoying each chunk as you come to it. It may come down to how much time you are able to devote to your hands-on guitar time to consolidate Grades 1 and 2 and how much you are also doing theory work on paper and with guitar in hand.

@judi your consolidating grade 2, as part of grade 2 consolidation Justin recommends PMT grade 2 you’re already at grade 4. May I ask how many songs you can play? It sounds that your main focus is on learning theory and you run the risk of your knowledge gets to far ahead of your skill level. When this happens a lot of people get frustrated and quit.
Not trying to put a damper on your progress just a friendly warning to not get to far ahead of you play level.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, @Richard_close2u. My mind gets hungry to understand the theory before my skills are able to exercise the knowledge. I’ll probably end up in the middle of the two scenarios you describe!

1 Like

Thanks Rick @stitch, I appreciate the reminder very much! I only have about 15 or so songs that I play, and growing that list is a big part of the reason I’ve committed to spending a couple months consolidating. Like many beginners, I feel disappointed playing many of the simpler song arrangements that match my skill level. When I’m able, I add embellishments or learn a strumming pattern (again, within my current skill set). I’m hoping that thinking about the knowledge part of the PMT course as I work on my physical coordination will keep the spark lit, and maybe even get me thinking about “easy” embellishments I might add on my own. :smile:

Is it possible to be simultaneously “not in a hurry” wanting to get things right, and impatient to learn? 'Cause that’s how I feel! :rofl:

1 Like

It’s always a good to push your limits. The trick is to know how far is to far. 15 song is very good by the end of grade 2 and spending the time to learn more is even better.

The theory is much easier to understand if you take the time to actually use it on the guitar. Learning triad grips is one thing using them to make music is a whole new ball game.

As part of you consolidation go and watch the lesson on Margaritaville. It’s listed as grade one but also has all the embellishments and Double stops (which are 2/3s of a triad.) this will help get you started on using triads and also give you a song that can grow with your skill level while keeping you hungry mind busy for a while.

3 Likes

Judi @judi

I agree with Rick @stitch and as Justin says in the lesson, Margaritaville is a good song to try out sus chords as there are long sequences of bars with the same chord.
Michael

2 Likes

Haha…thanks @stitch and @MAT1953! In another thread folks are talking about sucking it up and learning songs you don’t like because they train good technique. Margaritaville, here I come! :tropical_drink: I just won’t admit it to my friends. :rofl:

3 Likes