Triad Chord Theory Worksheet

So basicly you have to use the major scale formula to get the answer and can’t use the mr cato’s key signature trick.Right?

1 Like

Exactly that. Justin states it right above the exercises:

This relies on the major scale formula and the each triad formula. Cato teaches about flats / sharps in a key which is not directly related to chord construction.

2 Likes

I ran into the same problem but with a little pondering (and looking at the cheat sheet answer of G#, B, D#) I wanted to know how he got that answer. The only way that I found that works is to apply the T,T,S,T,T,T,S formula to G#. That would look like G#, A#, B#, C#, D#, E#, F#, and G.

If then, you diminish the 3rd note of that scale (B#) to a B. You are left with G#, B, D# which is what he has as the answer.

Hope this helps.
-Aaron

1 Like

Hello @schollzy and welcome to the community.

You have arrived at the correct answer for your 1, b3, 5 minor chord although there is a small error in your fuller major scale.

G# major scale is:
G#, A#, B#, C#, D#, E#, F##, G#

I hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

1 Like

It’s really worth memorizing the basic major triads:

C-E-G
D-F#-A
E-G#-B
F-A-C
G-B-D
A-C#-E
B-D#-F#

This way you’ll recognize which triads you have to work out when you encounter jumbled triads (e.g. C#-A-E) and you will also know if the given triad you see is major, minor, augmented or diminished.

2 Likes

Strongly agree with this. It’s helped me immensely. Although I still get tripped up by the two sharps in the B triad!

2 Likes

Look at it this way: if a major triad has 2 sharps, that can only be B major :wink:

2 Likes

A bit of a curved ball from Justin in this one, two scales which are not the normal ones as has been pointed out above.

I resisted the temptation of looking on the internet and worked them out correctly myself, and would you believe it I made a silly mistake for one of the triads and wrote down the fourth degree, got all the others correct.

That’s typical of me.

Michael

2 Likes

Half of the answers are missing, and they’re all out of order. Can someone post the right answers in the right order please?

1 Like

Hello @kc_c and welcome to the Community.
Thanks for taking a subscription to the theory course and for reporting an issue.
Can you please give specific details so the issue(s) can be reported and corrected where necessary?

@Hyzzan issue reported.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard | JustinGuitar Approved Teacher, Official Guide & Moderator

The PDF attached to the lesson, “Triad Note Worksheet” doesn’t match the answers on the HTMl page for the lesson.

1 Like

I have taken a screenshot of the pdf and one of the answers and set them alongside one another. The questions and answers are a 100% match.

Are you looking at something different?

1 Like

That doesn’t match the “Triad Note Worksheet” PDF that I downloaded. The one I’ve got starts with G Major, and at hte bottom has Gb major, then in the right column starts on D Aug and ends on C#min. There are some I’m confused about because we didn’t cover the patterns in scales, like G# minor, Gb major, etc.

1 Like

i can’t seem to edit, but the PDF I’m talking about is this one: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/triad-chord-theory-worksheet-mt-402

1 Like

@kc_c

Things are beginning to make sense.
You posted in the wrong Discussion topic.
Your query about the issue should have been in the Triad Chord Theory Worksheet lesson but you posted in the Triad Chord Analysis lesson.
Each has their own downloadable worksheet. That is where mine came from.
I will check the one you are reporting and I will also split and move your questions to the correct topic.

Thanks, sorry. I had only just realized that there were 2 different worksheets. I assumed it was the same worksheet (and perhaps it should be?)

1 Like

Does this mean I don’t need to do any work?
Have you been looking at one set of questions and a different set of answers?

Is everything sorted?

Yes, thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

I’m missing something really basic here. For Triads, G Major is described as notes G B D, but looking at a chord diagram the notes are G B G. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello Pat,

Remember that with a G chord there are also strings that are not fretted. These are also notes.
So for the standard open chord G, you have the notes
G-B-D-G-B-G.

Triads are smaller iterations of these chords, where each note is present just once. In this case G-B-D.

Cheers, Shane

5 Likes