Triads & Soloing & Targeting Chord Tones Part 1 - getting started

I knew I bookmarked this for a reason.

I have been doing a lot with triads recently which led me to to ‘I don’t have all the notes on fretboard memorized”. and I just found this.

I think it was one of those ah ha moments. It had to do with the semitones, knowing were they are in each string. And A little bit octave (patterns?) and the fretboard diagrams. .

We will see if this info sticks. I understand the importance of knowing the notes on fret board. Hope I can retain this info know.

Cheers :disguised_face:

Ps. Awesome backing track links!!

Thanx @Richard_close2u , again.

1 Like

Thanks for the bump Jason. I meant to come back to this after Richard resurrected it on the new platform but life got in the way as usual. Now its bookmarked for reference. Enjoy. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This may sound like a really daft question to those that know but why do you need to know this. Hadn’t realised that chords (a group of notes) were related to single notes when playing a solo.

@Stuartw Take a basic song with a straightforward progression. That song is in a specific key - let’s use the key of G major for an example. In which case everything will derive from and can be referenced back to the G major scale:
G, A, B, C, D, E, F#
The chords within the song will be chords found within the key.
G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, F#dim
The notes played by any instrument or any singer will be chosen from some or all of the notes from the G major scale, perhaps spread across more than one octave. The bass may be playing notes way down low. The singer may be playing notes up high. The guitar or keyboard may be playing notes (in the form of chords or perhaps triads or arpeggiated chords) somewhere between.
When it comes time for an instrumental break, if a guitar is going to take a lead solo, the notes of that solo will come from the G major scale also. What if the soloist wants to play something more melodic and musical than just randomly happened upon notes from the scale? Knowledge of chord construction and chord tones is where that musician can find some answers.
Let’s say the progression for the instrumental break is:

| G | D | Em | C | Am | Bm C | D | G |

Break down those chords to their constituent notes (triad form).

G = G, B, D
D = D, F#, A
Em = E, G, B
C = C, E, G
Am = A, C, E
Bm = B, D, F

Each and every note for each and every chord comes from within the G major scale. The progression is in the key of G so that should be no surprise. What options does the soloist have for each chord?

When the G chord is playing the soloist can play G, B and D and it will sound so, so good. Those three notes are chord tones. They are the notes of the triad. Perhaps those notes could be located, identified and played by moving to one of the triad shapes!

When the D chord is playing the soloist can play D, F# and A and it will sound so, so good. Those three notes are chord tones. They are the notes of the triad. Perhaps those notes could be located, identified and played by moving to one of the triad shapes!

When the Em chord is playing the soloist can play E, G and B and it will sound so, so good. Those three notes are chord tones. They are the notes of the triad. Perhaps those notes could be located, identified and played by moving to one of the triad shapes!

I will not copy / paste identical looking paragraphs for the other chords. That should explain sufficiently.

What if the soloists only plays one or more of those chord tones as the chords come along and never strays from those notes for each chord? Well, it may just work and be the most inspired solo ever played. Or, it may sound a little predictable with little tension and release, little in the way of movement and melodic surprise. So the soloist may think of the chord tones as a safe and secure set of notes but know that creative expression and interesting improvisation lies beyond those parameters and involves stretching out to use the chord tones mixed in with other notes from the G major scale.

The triad shapes can give that platform and a sure-fire means of knowing where the chord tones. Visualising the triads within scale patterns allows pushing beyond the obvious and offers a fuller, richer and more satisfying means of playing a lead part over a chord progression.

And, to directly answer your question … if you do not know the chord progression, you do not know which notes of the scale are the chord tones and you cannot improvise a solo as described above. Your solo may sound okay if you play from the G major scale but your chances of it all sounding okay all of the time without hitting any ‘sour’ notes or without it sounding somewhat random and high.

2 Likes

@Richard_close2u Thanks for the explanation which took me quite a while to read and work out what you were saying. To be honest I still don’t get most of it. I guess the problem is I don’t recognise chords as notes e.g G = G, B, D. They are still just a fingers placed in a particular pattern to get the required sound, with chords played in a sequence to get another sound.

Not sure I know what that is. Is there a lesson for this in Grades 1 or 2?

Most of this just goes over my head and I find it confusing. I still don’t understand about keys and why a song is in a particular key and why it matters. May be I missed in in Grades 1 & 2. How do I know what key a song is played in? How do I work this out?

There are terms that you have used (triads, chord tones, etc) that I don’t recognise which probably doesn’t help

I just feel that after 3 years of playing I still know next to nothing & that frustrates me no end!!

1 Like

@Stuartw , sounds like you might benefit from a music theory course.

2 Likes

You may well be right. Have done modules 1 and 2 some time ago, and passed the test. Have also done module 3 (well watched the videos) but not done the test. May need a refresher on this as I had obviously forgotten all this stuff when replying back to @Richard_close2u There is only so much time I can spend with this during a week and playing is probably a better use. Family (especially family at the moment) and work come before all this :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Stuartw If this triads business interests you, if you’re doing the do and enjoying the music it is enabling you to make, then don’t get too hung on the why and the understanding just yet. If guitar time is precious, then devote it to playing as opposed to understanding theory.
I know that is a little counter to my usual advice. But if you are delving into this topic but don’t understand the theory I am writing about then that’s cool. You can get to the theory after the fact of learning to use triads.

They interest me but not sure, at this point, how to include them in the stuff I am learning at the moment.

It is as always.