Twistor59 - January 2023 - Another Slow Blues + Pink Floyd - Fat Old Sun

Man, that was so lush. What a great vibe it had going on. Really well played Phil.

It must be so hard doing what you are trying to do. From the beginning it’s all focused on the beat and keeping that rhythm, so to go off and then get back on cannot be easy. Though you sounded to do a great job with it.

This is a track from Atom Heart Mother that I did at Open Mic 13 last weekend.

I transcribed it from the album version - it’s a bit of a rough transcription, though hopefully captures the main melody reasonably.

I hope the guitar/backing track mix is better this time - I think the guitar was a bit high on the OM. Although, tbh, I think it’s a tad low on this one :rofl:. I really should try recording into a DAW so I could fix stuff like this instead of just chucking a single signal into Audacity. I’m curious to hear people’s opinions on the mix.

I also think that in a few of the places where I have vibrato here, it’s a bit too fast and sounds like “nervous vibrato” ?

7 Likes

Hi Phil,
That was again very good to listen to :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:, (but actually last time was much more special after your reboot, that was really great :sweat_smile: :sunglasses:)
But this was amazing for me and as far as I’m concerned this doesn’t need any extras in the mix at all…but there will be some with good ideas :smirk:
Greetings…

That was very good to listen to, Phil. I didn’t notice anything nervous sounding. Above my pay grade to comment on mix I’m afraid apart to say it sounded ok to me.

@twistor59
Thanks for this update. Thanks to your performance I picked up my electric and I am going to learn some gilmore guitar. A goal of mine is to do what you did @open mic. Great performance even after technical difficulties. I just watched Gilmore at Pompeii performing comfortably numb.
Atom heart mother favorite Floyd album. You sounded great to me.
:+1::+1:

@twistor59
Just read you transcribed yourself very nice. I actually listened to to atom heart mother after the open mic . Which lead me to the new Pompeii video.

Thanks Roger! For this youtube video, I had to re-start the recording about 6 times because I kept hearing mistakes. No chance to do that in the live one, which I guess makes it more authentic.

Thanks John, I was thinking of, for example, right at the end at 5:06 - the vibrato is too fast - I’ve heard Justin describe that as “nervous vibrato”.

Thanks Jason - I’m really pleased if I gave you the idea to play electric! David Gilmour’s solos are great for me because they’re so melodic (I think he composes them rather than improvises them), and generally not too fast (I can’t shred, sadly). So they’re a good place to start.