Two year Justi-versary. I'm still skill challenged

Hi there, thanks for the encouragement. I definitely am going through the stairsteps where, for awhile, it will feel like my chords are great, only to realize a few months later theyā€™re just ok.

Iā€™m not sure if Justin introduces more scales, or if weā€™re supposed to start doing the exploration of scales on our own. Iā€™m just plucking along (literally), waiting on more. I have been introduced to the triads, and sheesh theyā€™re not comfortable at all. Hard on my wrist with the type of tension for the positioning in the first triad lesson. But you make a good point, some lessons/exercises steer us away from songs for whatever reason.

I think I probably do need to keep up with one minute changes and perfect changes exercises. My C chord buzzes with either the middle or first finger, its the stretch coupled with weak pressure. I do the finger gym and any other conditioning exercises Justin introduces and I have the same stretch as I did before (keep in mind Iā€™ve played piano many years, so Iā€™m accustomed to stretching across an octave. The pressure strength in the direction required for a fretboard, I am not very good at). Something I could complain about to no end- still think my hand with the fretboard in it feels weird. Sometimes I think ā€˜this just canā€™t be rightā€™ trying to get a riff or a three note series. For example, in the Lick n Riff lesson, the little walkups on the thick strings between shuffles can be buzzy, even when Iā€™m accurately placing fingers and going slow. I worry it might never get to sound and feeling good.

Yes, my guitars were set up at the time of purchase, and I do have lighter gauge strings already. I have considered going to 8ā€™s on my electrics and 11ā€™s on my acoustics, but I think ā€œthatā€™d require truss rod adjustments, and surely thatā€™s not necessary, if I just keep practicing, keep practicing, my fingers will adjust.ā€ Butā€¦I donā€™t know. I still canā€™t develop substantial calluses (I have mild calluses, that seem to go away really easily). Oh and I measure my action with a gauge occasionally, and all the instruments are low to medium. I have super thin necks, small nut widths, 3/4 scale guitar, all the things that are supposed to help! I think Iā€™ve made all the changes I can, and its just coming down to buffing up the hands. And so I keep going! Although posture is atrocious, I admit that freely.

On your point about lowering the thumb. I hear/read that a lot. I look at my thumb all the time, I compare it to Justinā€™s. His sometimes points toward the headstock, depending on the technique. Sometimes it isnā€™t behind his other fingers at all and its way out to the side. Sometimes itā€™s hidden completely. Sometimes it barely pokes up behind the neck, so I totally get that it is supposed to move around. I wish we could get a really good thread going that talks in good detail about wrist positioning, and what small handed people might have to do in order to achieve the same skills as others. Anyway I digress. I try to bring the thumb down but I worry about that wrist bend that results. Itā€™s never painful, but it will look awful. My natural and comfortable inclination is to point thumb towards the headstock, that way I can get that ā€œpiano octaveā€ stretch if needed, but thereā€™s still the pressure problem (hurts fingertips) where I get buzzing, especially on thick strings.

2 Likes

I would love that! Iā€™ve searched for existing threads but havenā€™t found quite the right one. @roger_holland may know where one exists.

Stacy, Iā€™d like to know more about what you mean by pointing the thumb toward the headstock enabling you to stretch farther. I definitely notice - especially on the thicker strings - that itā€™s much more difficult for me to fret across with my smallest finger unless I do that with my thumb. Having my thumb perpendicular to the neck (pointing ā€œupā€) makes my palm sort of ā€œcupā€ a bit, which extends the reach needed for my shortest finger. I end up doing kind of the opposite of what Justin says he does.

So, yes, a thread on this, please. We can include photos, too.

I jtst mean that, when using pinky on the thick strings, if I turn the thumb toward the headstock, it results in my palm becoming flatter (not cupping) itā€™s enough to straighten the wrist more, meaning I can stretch the pinky out to a further fret (without bending wrist). The wrist is my main concern, and short fingers and small palm really inhibits straight wrist if you donā€™t want to mute strings. I havenā€™t played anything technical enough to need to stretch the pinky super far and I know the thing to do is just move the hand around versus trying to keep the thumb planted. Many times Iā€™ve noticed it is pointing at an angle halfway between straight up and the wall. Just by exploring and doing stretches while focusing on keeping wrist straight reveals that itā€™s less tension in my wrist to let the thumb point itā€™s normal direction if it feels possible to.

1 Like

This is an excellent description of the same issue I face. We need a support group/thread for this.

1 Like

Stacy @artax_2 and Bob @grabhorn, I struggle with similar issues. Like you both, my hands are small-ish (gloves are often too big); Iā€™m also ā€œpetiteā€ (sleeves on regular sizes too long). Of course, this does not prevent us from becoming proficient guitarists (there was a guy called Prince who was pretty good), but it does mean we may need to adjust technique. Iā€™d be up for sharing notes. In fact, Iā€™ll start a new topic now!

Hi Bob,
I stay away from the discussion of ā€œmy hands are too small to do this or thatā€ :blush: I adhere to Justinā€™s idea, I also have very small hands (and especially my my little pinky) and with very inward rotating ring finger and little finger, which hang over each other when at rest) and I also had to work extra hard for that ,still, but it gives me advantages further down the neck :sunglasses:

Greetings

2 Likes

This is a good idea, however, I really think it would have to be a ā€œvideo-threadā€ (or ā€œphoto-threadā€). Itā€™s just too hard to describe and understand written descriptions of hand/wrist positions, subtle rotations, etc. Itā€™s like describing to my tennis pro my backhand in words. Heā€™s not going to be able to help unless he sees me hit a few balls (maybe not even then :slight_smile: ). I know itā€™s an extra hassle posting a video, but I do think it would be much more helpful.

Actually, speaking of pros, you might consider a one-on-one lesson or two to work out some of these issues that you are having. An experienced teacher might be able to immediately see some problem in your technique and give you some pointers on how to correct it.