Understanding Distortion

Thanks guys for your replies. Im a total newb when comes to electric guitars, amps, pedals etc so really helps getting a starting point. Will have a bit of a play today and as you have both mentioned, try and dial in the sound that i am looking for. Maybe worth switching to just one pick up to begin with so not having to deal with two different volume and tone settings??

I have been using an audio interface (Motu M2) and Garage Band to play with various distortions. I am having trouble getting a good sound that I like though. It could be just my poor guitar skills, but I am not sure how to adjust things. It sounds like I am getting a lot of noise and its hard to get the notes to come through. Could be open strings sounding through and maybe I need to work on muting strings?
Should I be adjusting the gain on my guitar? on the M2? in Garage Band? the noise gate on Garageband? Or just improve my playing?
Any tips on how to improve the sound with distortion and clarity of the songs coming through.

1 Like

So the tube-screamer is like a crunch effect?

The Tube Screamer is a mid-booster overdrive. Like any overdrive and many distortions, it could be used to create a “crunchy” tone if used, for instance, on a clean amp.

Or, by cranking up the gain and/or using it on an already overdriven amp, it can be used to create more high-gain lead-type guitar sounds.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

How about the Line 6 Pod or Behringer v-amp as relatively cheap ways of getting a lot of tonal flexibility?

Yes, multifx systems are always good for that and I suggest them as a good way for a beginner to learn about effects and how to use them.

As well as the ones you mentioned, there units from Zoom, Boss, Valeton, Nux and others.

Also many amps, like the Boss Katana, Yamaha THR, some Blackstar ranges, Fender Mustang ,etc. have a bunch of built-in effects.

Cheers,

Keith

I have a Peavey Studio 110 from 1981. Still works but doesn’t seem to do much. is it worth adding pedals, or should I just get a new amp? Also, I’m still on an acoustic with built in electronics, going to get an electric soon. Thanks community :slight_smile:

@LindaJoyce
I love my pedals but I have been having a power supply problem , (I think.) I had one pedal and it was making horrible noises coming out of my amp.
I have been thinking about a new amp. Im curious to how you do.
Good luck

Hi Linda,
Does the reverb still work in your amp? If so, you should be able to do plenty with that amp. There sure are a lot of knobs to tweak!

I would get a new amp. You can get a great practice amp like a Fender Mustang or Boss Katana for around the same price as a couple of decent pedals.

2 Likes