Using borrowed chords - introduction + examples

We will look at two examples.

In the first we will again revert to the technique of starting with a diatonic progression and replacing one or more chords with something borrowed. This will use the time-honoured device of borrowing a major V from a parallel major key to provide a strong resolution to the tonic.
This is very, very, very, very, very common in minor key progressions.
Very, very, very common.
So common that it barely stands out as something that is actually non-diatonic.

Then, later on, a further example, will be a progression written from the outset with borrowed chords within its fundamental structure. One in which we are introduced to a concept with its own name. We meet a resolution with a Picardy third.
Sounds nice - can’t wait!
:slight_smile:

Example 9. A progression in the key of B minor.

We start with a wholly diatonic progression, mostly two chords per bar until the end, where we have a minor v resolving to the tonic.

borrowed 29

Thoughts?

From our Circle of Fifths we can look to the relative major key of B major and choose something to borrow.

Keeping it simple, we will use the F# major, playing it as a dominant 7th (F#7).

borrowed 30

Just one borrowed one, one difference. Let’s hear how it changes things.

Do you feel that propulsion from the V7 chord back to the tonic i chord both in starting the next round of the progression and in ending the overall progression?

Do you sense the strength of that resolution?

Now that you are aware of it - if you were not already - I am sure you will stumble in to it many times as you learn songs.

As ever, here is the full collection of resources.

You know what to do!

Have at it.

Do something creative for your own fun and explorations.

We round off our batch of examples with another progression in a minor key.
This time, as with example 8, we have a progression that is built from the ground up to include borrowed chords. This is no diatonic progression followed by some swapping around. This has been composed by considering the whole palette of chords from the minor key itself and those from the parallel major key.

Example 10. A progression in the key of E minor.

This progression is:

The ambiguous nature of sus4 chords means that even it could be thought of as borrowed given that it leads directly to one that is borrowed.
But, it is ambiguous, not major nor minor, so it is considered as diatonic here.
If we took the alternative view and viewed the sus chord as an alteration of the E major, therefore borrwed, we would write the chord progression like this:

Whichever way it is viewed … holy macaroni. That’s a lot of borrowed chords.
Crikey.

Were you expecting that much seasoning in your soup?

And … wait a moment … what on earth is the story with that E major chord. We’re in the key of E minor and there’s a major chord built on the tonic note! Huh?

Well, some questions and confusion but perhaps the best thing to do is to taste it and see how we like the flavour and texture.

Listen here:

Ah, for me it tastes savoury, and spicy, and sweet, and bitter, and warm.

For me it has a little je ne sais quo, and a little exoticism, and a little homely familiarity.

For me it is wrought, and emotional, and dark, and bright.

For me it is a contrary, shifting, will-o-the-wisp kind of a thing.

And for you?

Let’s dive in deep and devour.

The progression is in the key of E minor. We make liberal use of the parallel E major chords. Let’s view those on the Circle of Fifths.

The tonic E minor and the D major snuggle nicely together within the diatonic cluster. The A major and B major are sitting there ripe for the picking on the outer wheel of the parallel major.

As previously alluded to, the Esus4 can simply be taken as a suspension of the tonic chord E minor.

BUT

BUT

BUT

The progression closes out with E major.

E major for goodness sake.

We were in the key of E minor.

What the heck is that imposter doing muscling in on the action?

Not just muscling in but actually stealing the limelight by closing the show with its own finale.

Blooming heck eh!

:confused:

Mmh, well, yeah. A weird one isn’t it.

Before exploring the strangeness of a major chord built on the tonic note of a minor key, let us listen to the progression once again, but this time with the closing chord being the true tonic, finishing on an actual E minor chord.

The progression would sound like this:

Blech.

Yeuch.

I’m gagging on my soup.

Help!

Cough, splutter, choke, choke, blargh!

That tastes vile.

:face_vomiting:

Oh my god … water … get me a glass of water … quick!

:nauseated_face:

Have you ever had that experience? Eaten something tasty, some delicious meal or a crisp apple or a rich, moist slice of cake etc? Only for the last mouthful to contain some gristly meat, or a soft bruise or a mouldy currant? The entire pleasure of eating is stolen from you and the nasty taste has ruined the memory of what came before?

That is how I react to the ending when it is the tonic E minor chord.
It just tastes rotten.
Okay, I may be exaggerating somewhat to make a point.
But do you grasp some truth in it?

1 Like

Now compare, one after the other, the ‘diatonic’ ending and the ‘non-diatonic’ ending.
The E minor vs the E major.

What do you make of the two?

I dare to suggest that most will prefer the E major ending.

And we now must delve further. For taking a progression in a minor key and closing it on the major of the tonic note has a name. It is a phenomenon that has been observed, discussed, analysed and classified for centuries. It is known as a Picardy third or Picardy cadence.

The origins of the use of the word Picardy are obscure and unknown. What is known is that the phrase was first used by Jean-Jacques Rousseau in the 18th century. The use of this device dates back centuries earlier, especially in church music.

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and many other such notables employed it frequently.

So, we are in good company.

The Picardy third basically takes the minor triad of the tonic chord and alters the 3rd to become a major triad. In the closing bar of a piece of music. Or in the closing bar of a section within a larger piece of music.

In our progression the minor triad is:
E minor = E, G, B = 1, b3, 5

The minor 3rd (b3) is raised a semitone to become a major 3rd.

E major = E, G#, B = 1, 3, 5

And that, in a nutshell, or, more fittingly, in a soup-spoon, is the Picardy third, the Picardy cadence.

Take a minor key progression, give it an of uplifting end of satisfying delight by finishing on the tonic major chord

The I … not the i.

As ever, all files, all together.

Okay folks. It’s time to get cooking.

Select some goodies from the shelves … base your choice around a minor chord on the inner wheel and its clustered family of diatonic chords.

Mix them up in quantities to suit your taste buds.

Add a dash or two of seasoning from the adjacent parallel major.

Remember, look immediately clockwise where the major tonic chord sits on the outer wheel.

Bring to the boil, then simmer for several minutes.

When ready, ladle a healthy portion into the a large bowl and sprinkle a finishing garnish of major I on top.

Wine is optional!

Enjoy.

3 Likes

Good stuff, Richard. The more you start paying attention to borrowed chords, the more you notice they are indeed all over the place. Moreover, purely diatonic progressions can sound a bit dull when there’s nothing else to bring excitement, like lyrically or rhythmically.

1 Like

Thanks for following along Jeff. They are indeed everywhere. And I have offered what is really a simplified and slimmed down version of the topic. I have not gone into the full aspect of ‘modal mixture’. Nor have I raised other related concepts such as secondary dominant chords etc. And I have not yet gone near to the use of borrowed chords as pathways to key changes.

Nice work Richard. Can I ask with multiple borrowed chords, would the melody/ vocal tend to drift out of key into the tones of the borrowed chords or would it be more usual to stay within the scale?

Thanks for following along and getting involved Jason.

What a question!

Always - if it sounds good it is good.

Any borrowed chord is making an alteration in the harmonic structure.
Above that, of course, can be melodic structure.

The borrowing we have seen in this study has been exclusively parallel major and minor key mixture. One example of the wider concept of modal mixture. Major is Ionian is a mode. Minor is Aeolian is a mode. Borrowing chords is also called modal mixture. You can have a major key progression that borrows from, say the parallel Dorian mode too.
Whichever modes are used for borrowing, because they are parallel, they will share some common tones.

If we use example 10 in E minor as an example.

E minor scale:
E, F#, G, A, B, C, D

E major scale:
E F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#

There are four common tones. If the overall harmonic structure is E minor with occasional chords borrowed from E major, then a melody could be played over the progression such that it comprised some or all of the notes from E minor except when the borrowed chords arrive. The borrowed chords coming from E major will signal the need to approach the melody differently.
The notes G, C and D are those to notice and possibly avoid / replace, depending on which chord is borrowed. They may be replaced by their alphabetical counterparts G#, C# and D# if these are chord tones within the borrowed chords. Think of the notes within the triads to know which notes in E minor are going to clash badly with chords from E major. So the melody has to be moulded and shaped to be pleasing, not dissonant.

In Example 10 A major and B major were borrowed.
A major = A, C#, E
When this chord comes along you will be targeting the note C# which comes from the E major scale.
B major = B, D#, F#
When this chord comes along you will be targeting the note D#.

If creating a vocal melody you may wish to be able to use the full palette of seven notes scales, no matter what chords are being played.

If riffing and improvising on a guitar, limiting the play to pentatonics can remove some of the difficulties though there are still notes in each that cause the same issues as above.

E minor pentatonic:
E, G, A, B, D

E major pentatonic:
E, F#, G#, B, C#

One more aspect worth mentioning here. The very common use of a major for the dominant in a minor key (most often V7) is such a desirable example of a borrowed chord that its usage led to the creation of two new scales. The reason it is so desirable and used so much is the strong and satisfying resolution from V7 to i, dominant to tonic. This occurs because the major 3rd in a V7 moving to a tonic minor chord is a leading tone, just a semitone away from the root note of the tonic. It does not appear in the minor scale.
When I presented it in example 9 above i did so as though it was just another, regular major / minor borrowing.
I deliberately chose not to mention that a chord progression in a minor key with a V7 chord is not usually spoken of as chord borrowing. The progression would more normally be described as in the harmonic minor. This is a (natural) minor with a raised 7th degree - the one that creates the leading tone. It was created specifically to give this dominant to tonic resolution in minor keys.
The chords derived from harmonic minor had an implication for melodies too and that in turn led to the creation of the melodic minor scale. It is two scales in one depending on whether ascending or descending. It navigates round the difficulty of a large interval created when raising the 7th for the harmonic minor.
That is probably enough on that subject within this topic.

I hope some or all of that makes sense.
I may need to re-read this as it is late Sunday night to be diving to these depths haha.

1 Like

Thank you Richard and it’s my pleasure to follow such an interesting topic. I do appreciate such an I depth explanation. I’ve recently invested in a loop pedal so I’ll have a go at making up my own progressions and lead lines.

Just as an example: if I’m playing a I iv v progression the key of Em and borrow the V from E major to replace the minor v I should still avoid the note D# in the melody or when improvising even though it’s a chord tone of B major?

E minor scale:

E, F#, G, A, B, C, D

E major scale:

E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#

Major and minor diatonic chords in the keys of minor and E major on the Circle of Fifths.

i chord = E minor = E, G, B

iv chord = A minor = A, C, E

v chord = B minor = B, D, F#

V chord = B major = B, D#, F#

V7 chord = B7 = B, D#, F#, A

The note D# will be a target note over the B major / B7 chord.
It is what makes all the difference between the v minor quality and the V major quality.

1 Like

Hi Richard
Enjoying following along , guitar in hand with this topic
The “drifting” that @Strummer_of_69 mentions is a really good way of describing the feel you get here - especially when say you go from Em to A - You instinctively want to play Em - Asus4 - A.
I think the drift, or ambiguity sounds great, maybe because the Asus4 played in 05770x position could also be a D9overA, which would be diatonic

Cheers
Ruaridh
Quick Question - Don’t you mean the Major third in the V7 is the leading note, and the b7 also resolves, but downwards… or am I getting the wrong end of the stick