Vari-Shuffle Climb

Hi,
I see the entry above where it was asked where the notes came from in the intro and the answer that they’re from the blues scale. The major and minor were then shown. My question is that Justin seems to use notes from both. Is this the case? Would I be right in thinking that the piece is in major but he borrows notes from the minor blues?
Thanks
Matt

I like to think of the intro as a little run in the E mixolydian scale, which is the same as the E major scale but with a minor 7th (note D) instead of the major 7th (note D#). That’s why it fits as a glove over an E7 chord, which is an E major chord with a minor 7th added to it.

The only note that doesn’t belong to the E mixolydian scale is the note G, which is the minor 3rd. The minor 3rd is often referred to as the ‘blue note’ when played over a major/dominant chord.

E = root
G = minor 3rd => Very common in any kind of blues
G# - major 3rd
A - perfect 4th
B - perfect 5th
C# - major 6th
D - minor 7th => Fits perfectly over an E7 chord

1 Like

Thought the 5b was the Blue note, that’s the one added to the minor pent to make it the blues scale. :thinking:

Yes, that one too. The minor 3rd, diminished 5th ( / augmented 4th) and minor 7th are all blue notes.

Like you said, the diminished 5th is ‘the’ blue note when you add it to the minor pentatonic which already has a minor 3rd and a minor 7th. I left it out because it’s not part of this particular intro, but you’re absolutely right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ll check that scale out