Vintage Club #6 with Richard | Triads 1

Not at all. This session needs to fill up and inspire some AVoYP tracks. Keep bringing fire back to the cave my Brotha!

2 Likes

No, no, no…
Plato says we should bring the cave-dwellers out into sunlight, even if it means they are initially blinded by the light :sunglasses: :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

This better be good…
FOMO just made me sign up :rofl:

4 Likes

Whatever gets you cooking with grease. :fire: :fire_extinguisher:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :+1:

1 Like

Hi, new here. Is the club an online meeting? or this virtual chat? Thanks…

1 Like

Hey John, @jfeole, welcome to the community! This is an online meeting, hosted on Zoom. You can join at the Vintage Club #6 item on this page. Hope to see you there!

While you’re here, how about telling us a bit about yourself over here?

2 Likes

@Richard_close2u A late question, as I could not find the email with the Q&A link for tonight session. Will you be covering fingering/alternate fingering during the session? I have always found the e string rooted shape a right pain in the butt to ring clean, especially up at the nut end of things. Any tips during the session be most welcome !
:sunglasses:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I plan on mentioning fingering and if I forget Q&A me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great lesson, cheers Richard. Wish id done my homework and checked out this forum before the session. Did the handout with traid shapes get emailed before hand, or just shared here?

Unanswered Q&A to follow up …

When are triads used in comparison to open chords?

Can you close up on the recommended finger shapes at the end?

Is using a G triad at fret 3 an alternative to using the G barre chord?

Do we always play only the 3 strings we are making the triad with or add lower strings for effect

Are triads only ever played on these 3 strings

I just tried playing a minor pentatonic scale and pausing to play triad chords or little riffs off of the scale. Practicing two skills at once!

How can I avoid playing string 4? Shall I palm mute it or is there another opportunity?

Where should i be looking to study the preview materials prior to the class?

Thanks @Richard_close2u very much appreciated and very good. More to practice, and perhaps this will also help remember the notes on the neck too :+1: definitely worth getting up :laughing: thanks again.

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Toby I can’t get that mini barre on the b and E string as my index finger pulls down my finger on the g string which mutes the b string, can’t play mini barre F for same reason. For the triad though I just use fingers 1&2 for b and E strings and ring for g.

Just shows we each have fingers that move in different ways. As I asked in the session for the root position I barre g and b with ring finger and play E with index. A bit like a mini A shape barre chord, this comes in handy at the dusty end too as you don’t have to try and cram two sausage fingers in the same fret, you have to have a flexible lower knuckle joint though or you mute E string, just wish my index was a s flexible :rofl:

2 Likes

Great session @Richard_close2u

Been learning these triads a few weeks and you added a good few tips. I guess it helps if you know where all the notes are which are sinking in slowly. One trick I use which helps is to use a pattern based on knowing the 5th and 6 string notes.

So for the E shape that the easiest as the root on 1&6 are the same.

For the E shape the root note on the g string is two frets higher than the note you want on the A string and for the d shape triad the same root note on the b string is two frets lower on the A string.

So for an E for example, E is at 7th fret on A string, therefore on g string E is at fret 9 and on the b string E is at fret 5, two up two down I call it. Hopefully the day will come I’ll just know them all without thinking, I can hope.

1 Like

With the three shapes we worked on today… would it make sense to do a three string mini-barre for all of these? To make switching between easier?

It’s a shame you didn’t get them.
Feedback we received very early in launching clubs was that people wanted advance info or preview materials or heads up on how they cod best prepare. All teachers took that on board and started to release previews.
Mine for this session was shared here, via Whatsapp and the team, I believe, sent to all who registered to attend.

1 Like

See above.
Here in the Community first, the WhatsApp groups if you’re on them and register early to get the bulletins.

It’s a little bit chicken and egg.
Learn the notes first or learn where the triads are first.

We covered three trosds and, sticking with just the key of C to begin, repetition of playing and mo ing between all those triads will help you learn theicati I n of C, F and G on the top three strings. Hopefully you already know some or all of the tol E string as it is a match for the low E string.

Even just sticking with major triads, yku could do similar in the key of A, say, and you would beearning A, D and E triads hence the location of those notes on the top three strings. That is all without learning any new shapes.

If you stay in the key of C andearn its three minor triads in their three shapes you areearni g Dm, Em and Am, hence the lication of D, E and E notes another way too.

At certain times, yes, that could be beneficiL. I know I glossed over this.
When we move on to major and minor triads combined and played in the same small region of the neck, these fingering revelations will hopefully really hit like a light bulb moment.

1 Like

Great lesson Richard, and an “aha” moment when during the lesson I spontaneously started playing triad chords off the pentatonic scale. So much work to do, and learning triads basically forces one gradually to memorize all the note positions on the fret board.

3 Likes