Wanted a Gibson, tried a Gibson, now unsure

Soon, soonā€¦ suspense :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I played the cherry burst, they had honey burst in the shop as well. Have you seen them in person? Online they look great, in the flesh the finish is just dull compared to the other LPs.

3 Likes

Yup, I played the Honeyburst at a shop. Oddly enough, the satin finish is one of the things I love most about it. Something about a matte like finish that I love. Maybe itā€™s cause most guitarā€™s are really shiny and the satin finish gives it a really unique look. Another interesting thing about the finish is because of it, the look of each guitar varies widely since you see much more of the wood. Just take a look at sweetwaterā€™s stock of tributes:

all 4 of these are honeyburst.

You canā€™t drop that bombshell and leave us hanging !! Gissa clue !!
:angry:

1 Like

I posted already Toby :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you love it, that works great! It didnā€™t work for me. I had no idea the tributes were so different from one guitar to the next in the same colour.

1 Like

yeah, different strokes for different folks and all that. Glad you found something you love and itā€™s really cool looking guitar. Love teles.

1 Like

Iā€™m a huge fan of Les Pauls, but they are not the easiest to play.

Bought the Epiphone Joe Bonamassa ā€˜Lazarusā€™ Les Paul late last year. My favourite looking and sounding guitar, but I still myself continually reaching for my Telecaster.

1 Like

I have a Les Paul which Iā€™ve owned for about 15 years now. I love it because it sounds great either clean or overdriven. For the most part, Iā€™ve found it easy to play although I know what you mean about the sticky neck. I just accepted it as being part of the experience. I think tuning is always an issue with Les Pauls but I think there are ways to cope (good stringing, checking the truss rod and intonation, etc.). For me, I knew I WANTED a Les Paul, so I was prepared to deal with it. If youā€™re not sure one (or any other Gibson) is for you, then check out alternatives - PRS guitars have a great reputation (though I never played one). So, if youā€™re not wedded to a Gibson, but you want two humbuckers, try other makers.

1 Like

After trying a few guitars I ended up with a dual humbucker Fender Telecaster - so yep, I chose the non LP option.

Gibson is the brand that Iā€™ve always had a thing for, clearly the marketing works as itā€™s for no better reason than some of my favourite guitarists use them!
It maybe has to do with experience with other guitars and in my case I had very little so a Gibson was always likely to feel good. I started with a no-brand strat copy which was terrible and hard to play (even allowing for being a beginner), I got an Epiphone Les Paul which was a big improvement and then treated myself to a Gibson LP. Again it was a step up, and easier to play. Ultimately I exchanged my LP for a Gibson SG because the LP was simply too heavy (in weight, not tone!) and Iā€™m very happy with it. It might be as simple as Iā€™ve not got a well trained ear, and I havenā€™t got experience with other good quality guitars but I love my SG. The neck feels good to me but Iā€™ve never played a strat (except that cheap one when I could barely play a chord so it doesnā€™t count). Iā€™m certainly not suggesting that @jkahn is wrong, weā€™ve both arrived at our Gibsons from different places and that might be the difference

2 Likes

A much slimmed-down LP type.