What determines the sound in an amp

Definitely something in there for everyone to feel good about. It goes without saying that we should all try to get the most out of our gear, and that some of us need to lighten the heck up and not take things so seriously. Rest assured that a large part of guitar tone comes from the amp. A lot of pros put their money where there mouth is with regard to their amps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oops, I hope I didn’t tread on toes.
I always think it’s good to question what others say.
It can be annoying, but is the best way to get answers :wink:

I thought this was a great video. That dude was asking a specific question and that question was not whether a large part of guitar tone comes from the amp. That is evident. The question is “what is it about different amps that makes them sound different from each other?”. And he approaches his question like a real scientist, so kudos on the methodology.

I thought it was genius the way he disproved (or at least showed evidence against) much of what you read online, by somehow getting hold of amplifiers that allowed him to vary a single aspect (bias, rectifier circuit, types of power tubes and preamp tubes) and let us hear the difference due to that one factor.

He does answer the question he set out to answer, at least to some degree. There are two things: 1) how the EQ circuitry is implemented and 2) how the EQ and gain interact within the amp’s circuitry. All that stuff about different tubes and rectifier circuits doesn’t seem to explain the difference in tone among different amps.

Of course, that doesn’t mean you have no reason to prefer a Marshall to a Fender, or whatever. They do sound different. But maybe just for a different reason than you think.

1 Like

Not at all. I went back and watched the video again and came away with it being a fun romp to stir up people like me that take things too seriously at times. If you want to take it seriously somehow, it is flawed, if you want to suspend disbelief and enjoy a fun video, this one hits the mark.

He’s a likable guy with a fun and positive attitude. We shouldn’t get so deep into cork-sniffery or go on and on about the unimportant stuff. Get the most out of your gear and have fun playing music.

1 Like

I thought it was a fascinating video.

I must admit though, when he showed an amp which had a switch that could switch between different power tubes (say), and heard no difference, I thought “why on earth did they design that amp with that switch then?”

Maybe guitarists are wired for a boosted placebo effect in their brains :joy:

I wouldn’t draw too many hard and fast conclusions based on a tinny-thin loop recorded with a mic (I’m not sure which one) right up against a speaker. We don’t know how each example sounded in a room, which is how most of us listen to our amps, and we don’t know how each experimental track was EQ’d. Take it as a few minutes of entertainment from a very playful sort of guy.

I definitely enjoyed the video & found it interesting if a bit useless to the average guitarist. What I mean by that is your tone can be changed in any amp by “twiddling” your eq, volume & gain knobs. Through experience & experimentation, you discover the sound or sounds you like… my biggest takeaway is to keep messing about with the amp you have, possibly add or swap about your effects pedals & don’t bother buying amp after amp after amp! By the way, thanks for the post @LievenDV & also thanks to @brianlarsen for the link to the guitar tone video! That was a fun watch too!

Tod