What is the hard-for-you thing you're currently working on?

@artax_2, that is definitely the hardest part. Well, that and contorting my wrist so that my thumb is pointing perpendicular to the neck.

2 Likes

You may do this already but remember to pull back with your arm rather than relying entirely with pressing with your fingers, it helped me

2 Likes

I try this over and over and I canā€™t get any strings fretted that way. Iā€™d have to pull back so much it would have to be incorrect, and it doesnā€™t feel relaxed at all. That part of doing F is a mystery to me.

2 Likes

I found I needed to move my finger up about 1-2mm, not using the very tip on the low E. That helped get the joint crease of my finger off the b string so it could actually be fretted. I also made sure to slightly rotate the finger so it lays just a touch on its side.

I donā€™t know if that is what will help you, but maybe try a small change in where you place the barre.

6 Likes

This sounds really useful!

I spent a few minutes looking for it on Tomoā€™s YT channel, but no luck.

Can you point us to a specific video?

1 Like

@Tbushell,

Tomo mentions it as a side note in a few of his videos, but I think this is the one where he gives it the most time:

2 Likes

Wow! Popular topic JK!

Hardest thing is definitely un-learning bad habits from years of self teaching without any structured course. I thought I knew how to Travis pickā€¦ turns out I donā€™t quite do it the right way & to stop playing the wrong way & get it more correct is incredibly hard. Same thing with how I fret certain chordsā€¦ Justinā€™s suggested fingering is really, really hard when youā€™ve been using different fingers for years.
Next is string muting/palm muting. I didnā€™t realize how important this is until I started power chords on the electric with the gain upā€¦ if my muting isnā€™t good it doesnā€™t sound good at all. Iā€™m having a very hard time getting the palm mute consistent. Itā€™s either too much or not enough. As one of my long-term goals is to play surfer tunes, this skill is going to be key to getting the ā€œsoundā€, & even though I work on this every practice session, itā€™s not happening!
I also struggle with sticking to the practice routine & not noodling my practice time awayā€¦ playing an OMC exercise & thinking ā€œOH man, thatā€™s part of THAT songā€ & trying to work out the next chordsā€¦ then my timer goes off & itā€™s time to do something else!
Lastly is The Backbeat Hitā€¦ Love this sound! The technique is straightforward & fairly simple but performing this & staying in timeā€¦ forget it!!!
I know practice will eventually pay off & these hills will be climbed, it just seems to be taking too long! :upside_down_face:

Tod

2 Likes

Its not as bad as it was when i started, but Iā€™ve been practicing it since last September or so!

1 Like

For me itā€™s the blues bending and vibrato. The hardest thing I have encountered since starting with Justin around 2 years ago, except for of course that dreaded(for most of us) Barre F chord!! Still working on that F, but itā€™s coming along nicely after almost 10 months practice or soish!!! I will not give up!!! Oh and ear training is a bugger for me. But that has come along a wee bit. Yepp, the hard for me things. I have not gotten into transcribingā€¦yet. Although I really shouldā€¦so busy ā€¦

So many good ones here.

Rock on all!
Darren

1 Like

It was Basket case, Jeff. Though I have now recorded it and put it to bed

They do do their songs very well.

Glad to read that your power chords are getting there. :+1:

2 Likes

For posterity, Iā€™m adding to my list:

Smooth chord changes after a mid-beat up-strum - at speed. As I understand it, an accepted ā€œtrickā€ is to make that last up-strum in the bar with fretting fingers in mid-air, and nobody will notice the open strings. Iā€™ve gotten decent doing that at lower speeds, but if I get up around 120 bpm, it still doesnā€™t buy me quite enough time to get to the next chord. Oddly, I donā€™t seem to have a problem if I just omit the last up-strum.

Iā€™ll get there. I continue to be amazed by the things I can do that I couldnā€™t even contemplate a few months ago.

3 Likes

Iā€™m backing up to catch some things I missed that I thought werenā€™t useful for me. Now my brain is upside down & inside out! I LOVE the finger picking styles & jumped to Lesson 15 while still practicing the Beginner Modules on Lesson 3. And, I added a finger style teacher online. I would suggest not going all those directions at once, it takes away the fun of learning & becomes a job! Iā€™ve also discovered that everyone has their own way! Until I get to lesson 15 in Intermediate with Justin, Iā€™m using a really old book called, Hansenā€™s Popular Finger-Picking Guitar Method along with Justin Guitar.

1 Like

Right now its Major scales in 3rds , after playing around a lot doing this in thirds is hard! Just needs more time to get it under my fingers