What makes you quit?

Time is running out?

Time is the most precious thing we have.
Without time, we have nothing!

Use your time wisely.

3 Likes

Josh, before Iā€™ll soon drink my coffee and continue my long DM to you (thanks for the reply btw).

Here is my first of many ideas: Take a step back. Then another. And then yet another one. Breath.

Then think about what makes a song sound good. Iā€™m sure your parents would love to hear you play a bunch of a Grade 1 songs that you play comfortably, confidently and that you feel cosy with playing.
Itā€™s not about learning all the techniques out there as fast as possible. Just think: There is no definite ā€œas good as possibleā€ - thatā€™s an endless race. But: There is always a ā€œas good as possibleā€ at a certain point in time. Thatā€™s something that I encourage you to try to see.

There are simple songs that can yet sound fantastic if played wellā€¦ And these songs might not even need the techniques you are struggling with at the moment.

Itā€™s not hopeless, itā€™s not just black and white - there are many shades in-between.

2 Likes

Hey Josh @JROB623, your sadness wrt your parents resonates with me. My parents are old, and tbh my mom might not be here this time next year. Sheā€™s excited that Iā€™m learning guitar, and wants to hear me play. I sometimes send a recording of a song Iā€™m working on. I just use my phone, and play along with either the original song or a backing track. I donā€™t think sheā€™s especially ā€œimpressedā€ with the skills Iā€™ve developed, but I can only do what I can do now, and she appreciates that. In fact youā€™ve reminded me - I need to send another recording. Thanks! :slight_smile: And if my parents want to be ā€œimpressedā€, they can look to other things Iā€™ve managed to accomplish in life, when I wasnā€™t spending time playing guitar. :blush:

4 Likes

Josh, Have you played for your parents yet? Why not play for them now, and then every few months play for them again. It might solve a few of your issues.

1. You will achieve your goal of playing for them
  2. Over the performances they will see your improvement
  3. They will be able to confirm how much you have improved since the first time as an external source.
  4. You will not have any chance of regret of never playing for them. If you wait until you feel ready, I suggest you will never get there. Just do it.

just my 2c

3 Likes

I completely agree. Itā€™s been a crucial period for me to decide if Iā€™m staying or going. Hereā€™s why:

I hate to say this, I really do. And I didnā€™t realize this was what was happening until I got to the end of Gr 2. But Gr 1 and 2, while introducing several techniques that are literally fundamentals, are just that - introductions only to the different common genres. When I realized that Justinā€™s method of introducing the different genres to help beginners get a taste for what they like, to give them some options for direction and goal setting, and not really getting too far beyond introductory level techniques, I became disappointed with the progress that 18 months had produced. I see why Justin does it this way, I do. I fully understand that people need to be able to choose a path to focus on, and I know why that is. But I have to be honest that I thought Iā€™d be doing more guitar work with higher skill by 18 months than what I ended up with at the end of Gr 2. It took several weeks for me to sort of digest that fact, and to get over the frustration, and I decided to just move on to Gr 3 to relieve that feeling of not being able to do much on the guitar at all. Because what else am I going to do instead of sitting there, not progressing.

Part of it had to do with being stalled on not knowing what songs to learn. I canā€™t know what songs contain what skills and what will be good challenges for my current state, I need Justin to suggest songs in the lessons for those particular skills in those lessons. In many of the early modules, he did just that and it was very useful, necessary even. Other modules he didnā€™t and I had no idea what songs to look for to learn on.

Just some of my insight. I am not quitting, at least not right now. I adore Justin and his lessons are so impressive particularly with his ability to know my thoughts sometimes, what my insecurities are, and having advice for those insecurities and encouragement that its ok to be insecure or just plain bad at the early stages, let alone present so much material in a digestible way for beginnners.

Another thing that keeps me going at this stage versus quitting that I know not a lot of folks canā€™t do, but investing a lot of money in the hobby has kept me motivated. When I got my first guitar, it was a gift. I didnā€™t have anything invested in it. When it got hard, when I got too busy, I quit. This time around, Iā€™ve got a few thousand dollars of my own hard earned money invested in my instruments and tools. Iā€™m going to be damned if I donā€™t keep going after what Iā€™ve spent. Thatā€™s just me.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear all that :frowning_face:. I did have a good laugh at the wife comment and playing in the basement, that was a good one. Yeah, the best is what you can only do, but I wish I wasnā€™t as terrible at it, and it came along much quicker than it does.

Never taking time to appreciate what you have and have done is definitely a tragedy on its own. Think I am going to get along with 1 on 1 lessons just to see if I am as terrible as I think I am and use that as a springboard to see where I can take it from there.

Josh

Just looked through your posts and see that you have never shared any recordings, do you record yourself. Posting a video of you playing is a great way of getting feedback and advice. You say you want to play for your parents (its the other way round for me, kid and grandkids) but you would get confirmation from this community that your playing is worthy of sharing. My missus has been listening to me for nearly 3 decades, even by accident when she was in the room next door to the
ā€œstudioā€. She has given me nothing but support and encouragement, even in the early days when I was :poop: (she also signs off on my GAS affliction). I am sure if you played for your parents theyā€™d not only be amazed but full supportive. Just stay away from the Thrash Metal :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have indeed. I did a very simple version of Amazing Grace for Christmas I had learned online and then I have used the app and done it with them using the app to play along with as well. I think there is an expectation to do better they have seen me sing in church for years, but I never had an instrument it was just me. Now it is wanting I think to see me be able to sing and play the songs that I had always done growing up, but every song I sing I realized takes barre chords I havenā€™t learned yet, chord manipulation and embellishment that I havenā€™t learned yet, etc. Who knew I could sing much better than play the guitar, now there is an idea I never saw coming :rofl:

Haha I have played and they enjoy it, but you can see they get bored easily and are more or less like when is this going to end. Actually that is most people I have played for up to this point. Donā€™t get me wrong my parents are extremely supportive of me playing and are very happy I am doing so, but I believe at this point it isnā€™t interesting enough to stick around for long given the current skill level. Never posted playing because I am not a social internet guy most of the time. Barely ever on Facebook, Instagram, or the like and pretty embarrassed to ever put a recording of myself on the internet in any situation.

I think it would be a for sure help to have the real time feedback, but where I really need the feedback involves the F barre chord that I promise you donā€™t want to hear being played, sounds like an absolute monstrosity.

Have you tried branching out on your own a bit and seeing what happens? I donā€™t mean abandoning Justin but picking a few songs that you love and trying to learn them

I got to the end of grade 1 and Iā€™ve got a list of different songs that I want to learn, so Iā€™ve cherry picked lessons from grade 2 that were relevant but just got on with learning songs. Iā€™m not where I (unrealistically) hoped to be but Iā€™m having fun learning the songs. In each case, thereā€™s something that has been a challenge, whether that be the F chord or something else but Iā€™m inching my towards playing them.

Most of what Iā€™m learning are fairly popular songs but crucially they are songs that I enjoy and want to play. Suggestions of songs are great but if they donā€™t appeal to you then youā€™re a bit stuck. I just tend to have a look at either Justinā€™s lessons or another YouTube lesson to try to work out whether they are achievable or not. If thereā€™s something new in there then itā€™s a great opportunity to learn, just as long as thereā€™s some familiar bits as well to get started with.

Be under no illusion. Iā€™m a very ordinary guitarist. Some of these songs are taking ages to get competent with, but because Iā€™m enjoying them, Iā€™m not concerned about my overall ability as a guitarist. I hope youā€™re able to enjoy playing and put the other thoughts aside soon

Iā€™ve picked songs I like but havenā€™t been able to do anything with them but learn the chords. Thatā€™s great and all, but I want to do more with songs. Maybe there isnā€™t more. Maybe some songs only need chords to sound like the real thing. But my initial expectation was that Iā€™m going to be able to really get to learn a song how it was written and how the original band or artist played it. And yet another bit of a disappointment set in- that it doesnā€™t seem to be encouraged to play the guitar that way. It appears to be all about learning to play a song differently than the original, with oneā€™s own feel and own creative skill, something I canā€™t tap into until I feel some level of comfortability with fretting and strumming technique.

Why not just try for more than just a songā€™s chords? Because I have no idea where to start to do that. Module 15ā€™s lesson on transcribing was a good lesson in how to start with learning a song by ear, but it was just power chords.

Youā€™re correct that song suggestions donā€™t work for everyoneā€™s taste. I was really interested in the blues introduction modules, but then I didnā€™t recognize or like hardly any of the suggested songs. But I did listen to them as references, so they still helped me listen for specific things to see how theyā€™re embedded in regular music.

Its definitely an interesting journey so far. Not a bad experience by any means, I can do so much more than before I started. Iā€™m enjoying it for the most part, and it helps to hear you and others say they enjoy the process. The more I hear it, the more I start to think that way too. Repetition is good for more than just the fingers.

1 Like

Overall I have never thought of quitting but have had lots of frustrations along the way. Have a look at my early posts as these are similar to lots of beginner! They make you realise how far you have actually come.

I too am getting on a bit and regret not starting sooner but it is what it is and I will do whatever I can in the time left. Arthritis permitting.

2 Likes

With regards to enjoying the process thatā€™s absolutely why I havenā€™t quit this time around.

The music I love is hard rock and metal, all that crazy shredding stuff and itā€™s why I picked up a guitar. 16 months on from my latest restart and Iā€™m playing mostly songs with open chords on acoustic guitar that have little to nothing in common with metal. Iā€™m no closer to playing Metallica than when I started. It could easily be described as a complete fail. Except of course it isnā€™t.

As Iā€™ve gone along Iā€™ve found I enjoy the ā€œsimplicityā€ of acoustic guitar, strumming some chords and playing along with songs. Iā€™ve sought out acoustic versions of songs to learn, some with just chords, others with a few single notes for some variety. I think this is where enjoying the process comes in. I could be frustrated with my lack of progress on my original goal but Iā€™m adapting as I go, seeing where I end up by playing what makes me happy. Maybe Iā€™ll get around to metal next year but as long as Iā€™m still enjoying my guitar then it doesnā€™t matter if I donā€™t (Clearly acoustic guitar isnā€™t simple but I donā€™t have the right word to hand)

I know that Iā€™ve seen the concept of layering mention in these forums recently. Perhaps you need to view what youā€™ve learned so far in these terms. The first layer might be to strum along to the rhythm and then gradually over time as your skills develop you can build layers on top of your foundation gradually getting closer to the original recording.

2 Likes

How old are they and what are you playing ? Know your audience ?

Josh, I do think @TheMadman_tobyjenner is right however. People here in the community give so good feedback. It could be a valuable source for at least questioning a bit how you perceive yourself and your playing. And getting feedback is important for learning that was what was mentioned in this weekā€™s live clubs as well.

Just play with the idea of posting a video of you playing. Letā€™s see what it feels like after some time. I as well would have never wanted to share a video of me playing. But I have done it - and itā€™s not that bad, I promise. Of course entirely your decision :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I feel like people concerned with progress need to look at something like this:

How much do you practice? Really practice? Watching videos doesnā€™t count. Practicing and playing songs totally DOES count (and songs should be most of the time).

30 minutes a day, 7 days a week will get you basic levels in almost 2 years. Beginning rhythm guitarist in 3.5 years.

Youā€™ve got to double the practice to do it in half the time. But if youā€™re only properly practicing 4 days a week, it will take you a lot longer.

Of course exact times will vary - but the principle is sound.

The other thing the disillusioned need to realise is that what youā€™re going through is literally what learning new skills on guitar is like all the time. No matter your level, there is stuff you canā€™t do and the stuff later on can get really hard. F is easy compared to a C-shaped barre A#/F# with thumb on the bass. The only difference is that by the time you get there you realise persistence is needed and that compromises for what you can do are OK (and normal).

10 Likes

Which is why I always refer to myself as an Advanced Beginner, as I am always beginning some thing new and its always harder than the last thing !

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I donā€™t think the OP will be convinced by any of the above recs. I will relate one thing Iā€™ve experienced that could be of some benefit to others (at least it was for me). I like blues music, but really had no idea what I could do to tackle this. Searched this on Jā€™s site and found a great section in one of the later grades/modules. He goes through a large number of blues licks and how to play them. I copied many of the tabs into my sheet music so the are easy to access. Typically, they are just 1-2 bars each in length. Thatā€™s all. Then, I looked up some backing tracks on YouTube (there are 1,000ā€™s). I play the track through my amp and simply jump in and play some of these licks. Makes no difference what you play.

Itā€™s just great. Felt like a real player with an entire band; but mostly it just sounds so good no matter what you play. If you havenā€™t tried it, itā€™s really fun and easy to do. Self-rewarding and keeps you motivated. One other benefit - you see how scales are laid out and itā€™s much easier to memorize individual notes all over the fretboard.

Oh, I have wide tastes and play classic rock/pop things they enjoy and country as well. Just simply strumming the same strumming pattern and playing the same types of songs just drones on and gets boring without switching it up. I think of it the way I look at it. I can watch a guy shred a guitar with precision and skill I will never have, but if it is the same tempo and same type of music my mind will start to wonder, and I will go onto something else. I think itā€™s the different skills and techniques that set you apart, that I just donā€™t have anywhere close to yet.