Whiplash41594 Learning log

Is it cool if I interact and such without being all about his product? Is this a community that I can be involved in and share my own journey? Which involves Justin. Just not lately. Or am I going to keep being made to feel Im doing it wrong and Im a moody little brat that doesnt understand the help youre trying to impart. I understand your desire to be helpful. I just thought trying to be psrt of a community might be fun. I never do that. Very introverted. Gave it a chance. I turn 50 next year. I want to learn to play and I love guitar maybe more than any hobby I’ve ever had. I will respect whatever you say.

If you made an untitled midi file of that. First 30 seconds. No one will no what it is. NO ONE. Unless they already do.

That’s exactly the point. You said that if no one recognises the song you’re playing it’s not ‘playing songs’. I showed you that this is not correct.

Can we agree that what youre learning are the chords to a song. I can agree thats what youre learning. Not the total song. Can we agree? Thats the point on which this hinges. They are 2 different things. Both important. One more important to me personally. But everyones different.

Differences aside, I’m glad you found a path that works and is fun for you. :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

2 Likes

Do I just reply to the first post I made to keep this log going? Today I’m picking a song and working on it on and off all day. Perhaps the solo from I love you by climax blues band.

Yes , or easier that big orange ‘reply’ button at the bottom, which is easier if you do not respond to a specific post .

Greetings

1 Like

Yes, just keep replying with the organge reply button as Roger said, Scott

1 Like

Lazy today so far. Havent done much but pick away at some tabs. Gonna focus on trying to use the optimal finger at all times in anything I pick at today. Finger strength work, stamina work. Ear work later. Gonna be a great day.
Was a solid day. Did a lot of chord work and some bending and slides, and worked on the Chocobo song. Just about done for tonight.

I am very sorry for your loss, Scott.

I didn’t pick your post earlier, I am on holiday with limited forum reading time. You got a lot of feedback on your practice routine. I just hope you will not burn yourself with such long hours. You can always dial back and concentrate on few things only if necessary.

1 Like

Hi Scott, I wanted to add that I agree with you that based on your interests, the app wouldn’t work for you. If you want to get beyond the chords and play songs that sound more like the originals then you need to learn all the ways to go beyond the chords for the song. For that I highly recommend Justin’s song lesson or tutorial videos. You won’t find much that is not boring in grade 1 songs, since you are already in grade 2 or above, except for the song Brown Eyed Girl that teaches the intro to the song. The song lessons teach more of the original songs as you go to the higher grades. So look at the intro demos for the song lessons in Grades 2 and 3 and find a song that you like, where Justin is playing the type of music that you want to learn and then if you follow the lesson you will be able to eventually play like the beginning demo of the song. You could do this as just an addition to your other practice. Hopefully you will find some songs that inspire you to learn the entire song, but especially songs that bring you comfort as you play them.
FYI- since you can’t play song lessons in the app, you will have to open the Justin Guitar website in your phone and go to Songs and filter by grade or difficulty to play the song lessons. Also, “Wish You Were Here” riff lesson in Module 8 is a short example of a grade 2/3 song lesson and there is a longer version on the website.

2 Likes

Also Scott, if you want to spice up the songs from earlier grades, there is a website called Moises.ai which allow you to make a backing track out of your favorite songs.

It removes the guitar from the original recording track and you can record your own playing into the track with a DAW or just play along with it.

For instance, if you check my rock songbook project , I mostly played the rhythm guitar (chords), but in the context of the backing track, it’s pretty easy to recognize the songs if you know them. And I learned a lot about the rhythm while doing it. And I had a lot of fun even if I was not playing “all the parts” like the singing and the solos.

The rock songbook is a little bit more advanced than the beginner songbook, but the same could be done with it or any song lesson from Justin.

2 Likes

Oh AWESOME! Thank you.

Solid day today. One thing I do is listen to Spotify, starting on my low E string to find a note that matches the song playing. Then, if the note is high, I challenge myself to find a lower one. I aim to find two solid-sounding tones. Next, I move to the A string, doing the same—finding two good notes. I repeat this process on the D string and so on, working backward and forward, trying to remember every good spot. I do this for a minimum of 3 hours a day. Its a really casual relaxing thing to do. I can close my eyes and just play.

Working on strumming patterns today, and chords. Along with a bit of everything. Does anyone see this but me or? Is there any sense in writing more than basic info?

Your log, your choice,

1 Like

New practice. Ill probably do 2 or more hours. I need to work on hitting just the strings I want, in rhythm, incorporating up strums as well as down. I have a video to upload but dont see anytjing but a spot for a picture.

need to work on controlled strumming. 2 and 3 strings. (2 here) up and down strokes, and in rhythm. Ill do this on and off all day as we rewatch “Breaking Bad” on the fly episode btw lol.

This is the kind of thing that goes in your learning log. That way you can review it in a few weeks and see if your making progress.

2 Likes

Thanks Stitch