Whiplash41594 Learning log

For the record: I strongly disagree with the idea that experiencing pain would be correlated to making progress.

See. I said it would be difficult for you. You are proving me right :slightly_smiling_face: I still think following a “program like that” can give you a wonderful set of tools for eventually daring to tackle something as complicated as Megadeth’s “Tornado of souls” or Eric Johnson’s “Cliffs of Dover” (which are some of the most difficult songs that come to my mind right now).

I beg to differ. Let’s say randomly and aimlessly alternating between two chords does not feel like playing a song. Add in rhythm and using strumming patterns purposefully and it will already start feeling more like a song.
Check this lesson for example, it’s sure difficult to get the song “right”, even when there are only two chords

Even Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” is mainly alternating between two chords. Check out the lesson here:

Everyone has a story how they got started. I recall Peter @rorystrat, an accomplished player, recently mentioning having started with single notes and scales but now recognizing the value of chords as fundamental building blocks (Peter, please correct me if I’m wrong.)

Scott, in the end it’s entirely up to you to decide how and what you want to learn. All I’m saying is that following “programs like that” will help you being able to play full songs. I’m sure community moderators and approved teachers Richard @Richard_close2u and @LievenDV can offer further advice how to proceed in your specific case.

Meanwhile, seeing that we are still in your introductory post, I repeat my challenge to you. Work through the different grades and start a Learning Log reflecting your thoughts, insights and struggles :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nicole @JokuMuu is right, when I was a kid playing chords was frowned upon; one was expected to just play lead lines. And I too sat on the sofa picking out the melody to anything on TV. When I discovered I could get a rock-chick girlfriend without being a rockstar part of the purpose went. When I was widowed I went heavily back into guitar. I think it was a distraction but helped somehow in the healing process. Now I live by the chord.

2 Likes

What I mean by what I said, is that if I cant play unaccompanied and people know what I’m playing it doesnt count. What I’d be doing is learning how to alternate chords in time. In my humble opinion. Which still matters. But it’s not playing a song. I can play a 3 or 4 chord progression with nothing else. Most likely you have no idea what im playing. No matter how I strum. Its a different kind of practice. I have paid for justin all year, even though i dont use him anymore I still do. Hes cool.

Today, I spent a lot of time working on various aspects of my playing. I went through every open chord I could remember, playing them at different points. I also put on some .38 Special and jammed along, doing my best to find the right notes by ear and memory.

I focused on improving my pull-offs, especially between my pinky and ring fingers. At different times, I worked on building my barre chord strength, practicing both with my fingers in place and using a fist under my index and forefinger for extra resistance.

I’ve been practicing flattening my ring finger to barre three strings while leaving the high E string open, getting ready for A-form barre chords. I wasn’t satisfied with how my open A chord was sounding, so I spent some time working on applying better pressure there.

Throughout the day, I experimented with different picking patterns and movements across the fretboard, using both heavy and thin picks. I also practiced navigating the fretboard without looking, running through a simple 1234-4321 pattern on each string, focusing on feeling the frets and correcting my finger placement without relying on sight.

I started all this around noon and just took a break to write this down before jumping back into it.

2 Likes

I’m a disciple of the “less is more” school of guitar as personified by the late, great Paul Kossoff.

This is fun lol. Not work. If I did it less itd suck. Less to me is taking a short break. I love learning. Its like a never ending magic trick to discover new secrets to. Why would I want to do anything else. Seriously I just bought ncaa 25 and have barely played 5 games. Its not a stress everone relax :slight_smile: Oh an update. I tried to tremolo 16th notes alternating strings for a whole episode of Mad Men after my last post. Didnt make it lol. But cool to try.

Hi @Whiplash41594, I think you are very wrong there. Playing songs is not about being recognisable, it’s about playing a melody that fits with the song, that enables you to play along with the original and which you could sing the lyrics to if you wanted. The melody can be very simple or very complicated, that doesn’t mather - they’re all songs, just different versions.

When starting out playing guitar, the first versions of songs you play will of course be simple. But as you progress, you will be able to build on these simple versions, adding new techniques, embellishments, … But the simple version you learned at the start will then serve as a solid foundation to add those newly learned things.

Even accomplished players start with the basic, simple chord progressions and simple down strums when learning a new song, adding the more complicated stuff step by step once they have those basics in their fingers. Of course, the better a player you are, the quicker you will be able to step up your game - but you still need the foundation of playing simple versions.

And just as an example: according to your criteria, for most people this is not playing the song we probably all know.

2 Likes

Just woke up. Taking daily medicine then getting my guitar plugged into the amp and getting started while I wait on food! Afternoon everyone!

Hes playing more than chords. Chords are highly important. But theres more to playing than them. I already did modules 1, 2, and ? Early in the year.stop trying to sell me justins program. I already have it

Id rather learn every chord needed by repetition. Then go in and check my chords once it doesnt hurt and my strength is such that it feasible. Rather than learn in steps, reaching a barrier every couple days that frustrates me. If I did notjing but Justins program Id have quit by now. I was fighting with structured lessons. Now I just play and do whatever I want for at least 6 hours a day. Im improving fast and having more fun than ever with anything.

Are you misunderstanding me to that degree? You’re trying to sell me the app. I already have it, lol.

Ok.

Chords are an important building block of music. Single-note playing and leads are good, but chords are a fundamental part of playing that I need to learn. I know at least 9 open chords and have begun trying barre chords as I have built up strength through exercises. Well, I always tried, but now I can play them.

I understand the idea of “playing a song” is important to most people, but I’d rather be able to play all of a song. If I need accompaniment, I’ll skip it and do chord practice. If I want to practice all the chords in a song in time, the program is great. Practicing all the chords in a song until I can play them clean, then turning on the karaoke for guitar chords and playing in time—that is exactly the metaphor: guitar karaoke. Thank you for having me. I sing Justin’s praises to everyone.

Not at all, on both accounts. I am trying to explain to you that learning to play simplified versions of songs is indeed playing songs, and does make you learn more than just changing chords. As have several others before me. But if you don’t want to play those songs and are happy with doing exercises until you master everything you need to be able to play the songs you want to play in the way the original artist plays them, then go ahead, by all means. It’s your journey - we’re just trying to help.

3 Likes

You’re missing the point, or pretending to. Yes, he plays more than chords. But you said that playing is not playing a song if people can’t recognise it when you play it without accompaniment. I told you that your definition of ‘playing songs’ is different than pretty much everyone else’s on this forum. And I added that clip just to show you that playing a version that is not immediately recognisable without accompaniment can still be ‘paying that song’ - no matter which techniques you use or don’t use.

I think you’re the one misunderstanding here. THIS is the community for JustinGuitar. If you’ve “found your own way” as other have, then so well and good. But this is the place to support those following Justin’s course. You don’t have to take the advice, as the saying goes “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink”.

1 Like

You just made my point for me. If I did not tell you what I was playing and played you that opening verbatim and you hadn’t heard it, you’d be clueless. It tells us, and it’s Springsteen. He has I.D., lol. You mention melodies. I thought you were talking about chords. Furthermore, I’m sure a lot of people who want to play but are unable will breathe a huge sigh of relief who thought their playing needed to be recognizable, lol. Kidding, of course.

Sounds great. Thanks for the advice. Sorry.

Is it cool if I interact and such without being all about his product? Is this a community that I can be involved in and share my own journey? Which involves Justin. Just not lately. Or am I going to keep being made to feel Im doing it wrong and Im a moody little brat that doesnt understand the help youre trying to impart. I understand your desire to be helpful. I just thought trying to be psrt of a community might be fun. I never do that. Very introverted. Gave it a chance. I turn 50 next year. I want to learn to play and I love guitar maybe more than any hobby I’ve ever had. I will respect whatever you say.

If you made an untitled midi file of that. First 30 seconds. No one will no what it is. NO ONE. Unless they already do.

That’s exactly the point. You said that if no one recognises the song you’re playing it’s not ‘playing songs’. I showed you that this is not correct.

Can we agree that what youre learning are the chords to a song. I can agree thats what youre learning. Not the total song. Can we agree? Thats the point on which this hinges. They are 2 different things. Both important. One more important to me personally. But everyones different.

Differences aside, I’m glad you found a path that works and is fun for you. :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

2 Likes