Who inspired you to play?

Hi!
So first off, I started playing because my great grandmother gave me her old acoustic guitar, it had so much history and it felt wrong to let it go unplayed. But as I listened to more guitar centered music I came across some amazing guitar players and amazing people. I mostly listen to metal, but I’ve also tried out some jazz. I don’t have any specific jazz players that I admire yet. But my three inspirations are Tobias Forge: from the band Ghost, Paul Landers: from Rammstein, and Richard Z. Kruspe: also from Rammstein. I would love to listen to more inspiring artists! Whose your inspiration?

2 Likes

Clapton
B.B.
Robert Cray

Noel Gallagher
Kelly Jones ( Stereophonics)

Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but the music I listened to in college and the music I still listen to today. I went to see Noel Gallagher in concert in Chicago last week and he was fantastic.

2 Likes

Erin, I can understand you fascination with Tobias Forge. I saw Ghost live at a festival just last Sunday. He does have a lot of charisma :sunglasses: Aren’t there also rumours at least that it’s mainly him writing the songs?

As to your question… It’s very difficult just to pick a few, if I would have to pick three only, my choice would be:

• Jarkko Martikainen (Finnish singer song writer)
  • Tom Waits
  • David Bowie
1 Like

My eldest sister. She bought me my first ever guitar when I was 8 and it planted a seed.

1 Like

I’d have to say my good lady wife. I hadn’t really thought seriously about playing until she bought me my old Affinity and a Marshal Goldline amp for my 40th. Yeah I had lots of favourite bands and guitarist but had no thoughts of playing as I was heavily into Martial Arts back then. And over the following 27 years, she has always been supportive of my ever growing stable !
:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hi Erin,
https://community.justinguitar.com/t/what-made-you-start-learning-guitar/216670

Here you have some ideas :wink:
At the top right is a search window, where you can see if there are already topics with your question or almost the same question …
Greetings,Rogier

I went to see Van Halen at the rainbow and thought wow OMG!
also Brian May, Gary Moore etc…
how little did I know :frowning: :rofl:
Pure rock gods :love_you_gesture:

Joku, there were rumors, but i think recently they’ve been confirmed that Tobias plays most of the instrumments on the tracks. I’m only certain that he plays the guitar parts

He just sang on Sunday :grin:. But yes, that would explain why he did not appear to be enterily happy with his Ghouls during the gig :sunglasses: Just show, I guess…

David Gilmour :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me it was Frederick Noad, a classical guitar teacher on PBS. Looked like a cool thing to do.

1 Like

Not beeing able to learn to memorise anything or read music playing the keyboard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But I always especially loved Surf Music. When Pulp Fiction came out I got to know Dick Dale’s - Misirlou and loved the crossover sound (eastern scale with surf vibes).

But never thought I’d pull it off.
20 years later after failing to learn the keys I thought well try the guitar… and now I can learn songs (thx to Justin, tabs and chordsheets).

I still can’t pull off a good Misirlou… but getting there :slight_smile:

There was a bloke in my high school called Tom. He was in a different grade to me and I never spoke a word to him but at a school performance he played a Cat Stevens song on guitar and that was the moment I decided I wanted to play guitar

I was inspired to start playing by a buddy you’ve never heard of, his name is Nick.

I had tried to learn 20 years earlier but never got that far, still had the guitar always within reach but didn’t seem to grab it. Then my buddy Nick started learning and when I saw how far he’d progressed in a couple of months I decided to try again. I couldn’t remember anything I’d learned other than you should press the string close to the fret. I still chat to Nick regularly and thank him for the inspiration, it’s been a great experience for me.

1 Like

Hi Erin,
Well, for me, it started with Creedence Clearwater Revival. Then quickly evolved to most of the late 60’s and 70’s R&R bands. Then I delved into Jazz/Rock Fusion and quickly became a fan of Al Di Meola and his band Return to Forever, Billy Cobham, John Mclaughlin, and others. I also must not forget to include the fantastic prog-rock bands of that era. I love most music. :smiley:

1 Like

I have a feeling there is a similar thread or threads around here. One is the one Rogier linked.
I can’t exactly remember what I had replied to the other one…
But right now, I’m thinking my first 3 CDs were Dream Theater’s Metropolis pt2 Scenes From A Memory, Sepultura’s Beneath The Remains and Stratovarious’s Infinite. Somehow I also had the Dark Side of the Moon. So there you go… Petrucci (although I’m down to earth and I know I’ll never be aple to play his songs), Cavalera’s riffs, Tolkki’s composing skills and Gilmour’s solos… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But the thing is, the deeper I got into metal… It’s a massive rabbit hole… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For me the major inspirations were the artists present in my dad’s collection. The first album I remember liking was Deep Purple in Rock, and there was a bit of Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix as well. But it’s almost impossible to choose only one person. One thing I’m sure of is that 100 notes/second shredders don’t do much for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

YES!!! I could NOT agree more!!!