Why are open chords called "cowboy" chords?

It’s like calling football to that sport they play with their hands… doesn’t make a lot of sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I think handball was already taken. :innocent:

edit:typo

2 Likes

It might be a cultural thing. Just sayin’. I found it interesting and almost more intuitive to learn the way that Kirk Fletcher learned chords (of course knowing what I know now). It certainly gets you learning the fretboard and straight into some theory right out of the gate:

Food for thought.

5 Likes

In my first day I learned open D - D7- G barree and A barree (not knowing it was an A chord for a very long time) … The other songs I learned also had more barre chords in them than open…my fellow guitar player taught me this…unfortunately because
I did force my wrist with it and that never worked out completely for the first 2 years…but that’s a completely different story…
Greetings

2 Likes

Once again, I shoot from the hip and miss! :rofl:
I was thinking: this is how Justin teaches. It makes sense, and I presumed most other teachers do the same.
However:
I’m also guessing most people starting off guitar get shown some basic chords by a friend or copy what they saw someone else do. I remember a couple of friends in school during the early 80s starting up punk bands and learning to play on the hoof. Every one of them started off with power/barre chords. I think because you could just slide them up and down the neck and they sounded cool with a lot of distortion. When I came across them on Justin’s site, I was like: “So that’s what they were!” :rofl:

2 Likes

I presume that’s Olympic handball? In Ireland, handball is one of the GAA sports (like Gaelic football and Hurling). Essentially, it’s like outdoor squash without a racquet :smiley:
Happy St. Patrick’s Day, everybody :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Actually, so was football :smirk:

1 Like

What I really want to know is why rugby is called rugby? Did it start off as a parlor game plywd on a carpet? :hot_face: :joy:

2 Likes

because there’s a town called Rugby ( I think )

1 Like

@MacOneill @LunaRocket Yep, according to Wikipedia: “Rugby football started at Rugby School in Rugby, Warwickshire, where the rules were first codified in 1845.”

2 Likes

I used to play that every Saturday night when I was younger.

2 Likes

You know what, cowboys are cool. So cowboy chords are cool.

A few cowboy chords and some chord decorations makes for great sounding music.

5 Likes

It’s an injustice to cowboys, I wear cowboy hat and belt from time to time although I spent most of my time in a place were English was the language!!!
Joke:
Why does a cowboy have his name on his belt buckle
Answer: in case he forgets it. :sunglasses:

As a senior with a failing memory maybe I should have mine engraved on my buckle or being from the soutof England have on a luggage label tied to my lapel.
Barry

1 Like

Hurling? Hurling?
Isn’t that what you do after a pint or two too many down the pub?:face_vomiting:

How is that a sport? Distance? Volume?
Color??? :nauseated_face:

Please tell me I’m wrong!!!

Tod

1 Like

You’re wrong :slight_smile:

2 Likes

(I actually knew that… just don’t tell anyone! They’ll just think… “Stupid American “!!!)

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:Tod​:shushing_face:

More commonly used on your side of the pond than ours :wink:
I prefer antipodean chundering :face_vomiting:

Size of the diced carrots, obviously :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Brian, the topic (which we’ve definitely strayed from here) is COWBOY CHORDS.
None of the cowboys I’ve known, I actually do know several cowboys & cowgirls, are the “dicing” type. They’re more the “rip off the greens, cut the carrot in half & chuck ‘em in the kettle” type… they chuck ‘em in!
Hmmmmm… :face_with_monocle: possibly where the term Chuck Wagon comes from?
So, in a Hurling contest, the Cowboys :cowboy_hat_face: would obviously win due to the size of their “chucked” chunks!!!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Tod