Why do YouTube guitarists play sitting down?

I would be mindful of the fact that some folks, are not sitting due to laziness but that they have no other choice. Stand if you can but if you can’t sit. Simples. :wheel:

7 Likes

Your topic caused a song to written, will work some more on it then post it in AVoP. thanks for that JK. :smiley:

4 Likes

Nice question and as a YouTuber erm, I play standing up xD

1 Like

The days of me standing for 90 minutes with a Les Paul around my neck are over…,

2 Likes

Probably for the same reason we eat, watch TV, work on our computer and read a book sitting down: it’s less tiring.

My son took in-person guitar lessons for several years. He and his teacher always played sitting down. When it was time for my son to play on stage the first time (at a jam session), his teacher told him the week before that he should practice standing up, which is what he did.

Is there any benefit to playing standing up, if you are not performing live? I seem to recall that guitarists in recording sessions often play sitting down. I checked the Beatles doc “Get Back”: in the studio, John always plays sitting down, George plays sometimes sitting sometimes standing. Paul plays standing, as did John when he played bass on one song. Maybe standing is required for bass playing?

Maybe if you’re singing, standing is better?

Anyway, I’m curious to hear if people think there is a benefit to standing if you are not performing live and if you are not singing.

3 Likes

Cool. For me I know I cant stay in one place, and need to jump like a monkey while playing guitar. So I stand up :rofl:

Something like this

1 Like

I play standing almost exclusively. I find that everything feels a lot more open when I stand versus when I sit, foot tapping is easier, my posture is better (no cheating looks at the fretboard), my strumming arm has better range of movement, etc. About the only time I sit is when I pull out the classical guitar and even then it’s probably only because it doesn’t have a strap.
Oh, and I think it also looks a lot cooler :slight_smile:

Glen

2 Likes

Cool! Bet you looks cool while playing =) Would you mind giving some extra tips on playing while standing? And totally appreciate it if you could give some critiques on my playing

1 Like

I would disagree that standing is so much better. How many classical guitarists stand?

I think it is personal preference. Some people need to move, rock and more contemporary music is dynamic so maybe more entertaining with a dynamic stand up performance.

To me, playing guitar is relaxing and so I prefer to relax seated. Besides, my neck dislikes anything with weight hanging on it. I even had trouble wearing a long doctors coat (with pockets full) during my residency 25 years ago. So not for me.

3 Likes

There is no right or wrong way on this topic. It’s dealers choice. Play in which ever way is comfortable for you and keeps you inspired, playing, practicing and happy. If you like to stand and are happy with your videos, have at it. If you are curious why someone might prefer standing or sitting, just ask them. You may get some interesting answers. Rest assured that because someone sits while playing on youtube it does not mean they can’t play standing up.

4 Likes

I do both every day. I do warmup exercises, drills, and lessons seated, stand to play songs on my electric, but play acoustic seated. No particular reason (although I find it awkward to play my grand-auditorium-size acoustic standing) it’s just the pattern I’ve developed.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’d prefer to play standing up. Yet I suffer from chronic fatigue so I play sitting down as that’s all I can manage on some days. With acoustic guitar, you tend to see even famous players on stage either on a stool or sitting in a chair more than with electric guitar.

5 Likes

I play about 4 hours a day and used to play standing up but now play the 20 something hours a week (nearly 30) sitting down and use a adjustable raised footrest to balance the guitars in the proper position and my back, neck and feet love the change. No tension headaches was also a side effect. Probably related to the weight of strap pull on neck. So why play standing when you can sit if you are not performing for an audience but rather recording?

2 Likes

No one voting for lying down?

5 Likes

Cool topic JK.
Well… i has been on two live concerts for the last two weeks… first one was a «rock» concerts with one of the best live bands in Norway. The vocalist plays on a tele and sounds awsome. He played standing up of course with a lot of energy.
Then. Last weekend the same vocalist did a unplugged concert in Oslo. Just him playing all the tracks accoustic stripped down, just him and his Gibson jumbo… he was sitting on bar stool the whole concert… and sounded awsome ofcourse… a lot of energy but not in the same way as when he played with his band… must admit… i loved the live show with his band… but sitting down all stripped down…… give me tears just thinking about it… i say yes to both things :grin:

Just my two cents JK

2 Likes

My notes sound flat.

2 Likes

Vincent,
As far a tips go, I’m not sure I can offer anything except my own experience. The biggest problem I encountered when I started standing is the stability of the guitar.
The first step in stability is having the right strap and adjusting it to the right position. I used to use a nylon strap but once I stood up the neck of the guitar would drop, it was like the head was trying to kiss the floor. I changed to a leather strap with an unfinished side and the provided enough grip that I no longer experienced the neck diving.
Next for the strap is having one wide enough to support the weight of the guitar comfortably, the heavier the guitar the wider the strap. The strap on the Martin acoustic is quite narrow but the strap on the LP is really wide.
Adjusting the strap to to right length is essential, you don’t want your fretting wrist cocked at too much of an angle. Generally the higher the guitar, the less you need to flex your wrist, so make sure the strap hold the guitar high enough. (Side note, the higher the guitar, the less cool it looks)
I would also (strongly) recommend using strap locks while standing.

Also for stability, I had to make adjustments to the pressure from both the strumming and fretting arms. For me, initially both my strumming arm and fretting arm were exerting too much pressure. This caused the whole guitar to wobble back and forth. I did have to learn to lighten my touch.

If any of tis is helpful, great and have fun. If it’s not, then just ignore it all. As others have noted, standing or sitting are preferences (for most) not better or worse.

Glen

3 Likes

Counterpoint:

4 Likes

Thanks Mark for the reassurance! I think I too prefer have the guitar high up due to the technical stuff I am in… And seriously my acoustic is pretty heavy for the mods I installed

2 Likes

eh.

6 Likes