Will a video upload to AVOYP be hit with a copyright strike?

Hi Richard,
I am not sure how to do this upload. Is it not the case that an upload to YouTube of a song learned through Justin guitar, or wherever is copyright and thus will be liable to be taken down before being copied to here?
Any input welcome as I am trying to upload to the forum, just cannot as yet, work out how.
Thanks
Mal

2 Likes

Hi Mal,

It maybe worth having a look at this post that covers uploading videos to YouTube and then to the JustinGuitar Community Website.

As for copyright I wouldn’t worry about it. Most times the copyright notice on YouTube means that you just can’t make any money from the video posted. Any revenue generated from it would go to the copyright holder.

2 Likes

No, that is highly unlikely.
Copyright strikes can happen and they sound worse than they are.
Nothing happens.
Youtube places adverts against your video and prevents monetisation of it. Monetisation though is something you must apply for anyway within your account and it takes approximately ten million views to earn $0.02.
So don’t worry about it.

5 Likes

Hi Mal =) Making cover of songs are legit that abides US law (and perhaps in UK too) the problems only arise when you try to monetize it. And even so, legal battle is a mess and costly, and nobody wants to do it, really xD

1 Like

I made a similar question a while ago about it and I understood I should not worry about the Copyright. Maybe that discussion can be helpful.

Some songs will be removed by YouTube and others will not. For example, when I posted my performance of “Three Little Birds,” YT’s system did detect the song, and flagged my video as containing copyrighted material, but the flag said that the record company which owns that song allows it to be used, so, it can stay. So, it has a notice, but it didn’t change anything.

So, I would say upload your covers and don’t worry about a thing. The worst that will happen is the video gets taken down, or, more often they just cut out the audio for the section of the video that their system flags.

This is pretty much the norm on YT, so I would not worry about any copyright issues at all.
In nearly 9 years of recording on the JGC forum old and new, I have only had one song blocked and that was on Soundcloud - The Levellers Another Man’s Cause where I’d recorded the rhythm guitar over the original. So I honestly would not worry about it.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

They only want to stop you making money - rightly so - off their songs. No money, no problem.

You can only make money if your account is officially monetised - which is no small matter to meet the criterion.

A copyright strike is nothing to be alarmed at.

1 Like

I got busted by the YouTube copyright police. I just got a message and you weren’t able to view the video. I think it was because I I had the movie Rocky horror picture show playing in the background.

Even if YouTube hide a video of your own performance you can usually appeal and claim it is “fair use”. The initial strike is automated, and the system is engineered to be overzealous in stopping possible infringements.

I am pleased when I get a copyright claim because that means my performance was ‘good enough’ to be identified and claimed.
I think there may be some confusion about terminology because I’m pretty sure a copyright strike is different than a copyright claim.
As I understand it, a strike means you challenged a claim and it was rejected. You only get 3 before ‘your channel’ is removed.
A claim just means an algorithm (or possibly a person) recognized your performance of copyrighted material and any revenue from adds shown go to the copyright holders.
So long as you don’t challenge the copyright claim (which you might do if you have monitized your channel) there is no downside to a claim. (the exception being a copyright holder has the option to force YouTube to take the video down but they generally do not)
The ‘unfair’ part is if someone does want to monetize their channel and their use falls under what would normally be considered ‘fair use’ they will generally lose that battle if they challenge at YouTube which would get them a copyright strike and I believe it is 3 and you are out.

1 Like

One thing most don’t know is a little trick I discovered. It takes about 17 seconds of a video segment for YouTube’s algorithms to determine if there is a CR strike or not. This can be used to one’s advantage. Show a still pic for 7-9 seconds, 15 seconds of the video, another still pic for 7-9 seconds and another 15 seconds of video and so on. This trick should eliminate video CR strikes at the Tube… Give it a try and let me know if it worked for you. I have done this on at least a couple of videos I posted at YouTube. One was visible here in the US, but not overseas. The trick took care of that issue for me.

Here is an example of one video I used this trick on:
Bad to the Bone - Example of CR Strike trick!

Take care,
LB

1 Like