WM's Tales of Woe, and Guitar

No worries…the intent was just to give ideas to think about. Best of luck :slight_smile:

The next door guy who sells coke out of his van.

Actually, it was the physical therapist attached to the Ortho guy who did my surgery. I do know how a person could injure themself from “too much, too soon” on the guitar, but this was more about my stitches, the fact that things are still healing up (to a large degree), and so on. Heck I still don’t have much feeling on the end of my finger, but that has nothing to do with injury.

2 Likes

Did my daily Major Scale Worksheet. I won’t keep posting about that unless I have a thought or a question about it. Speaking of which …

I’m going to be physically on the guitar here in about 10 minutes, and will start applying the lessons “One String Major Scales”, which I understand, and working on “MAJOR SCALE PATTERN 1”, which is something I’ve done in the past.

Always in the past, I’ve never been able to apply any theory to actually playing. I’ve also just zoomed through the theory, gained a basic understanding of it, then moved to the next lesson. For example I could take a key, figure out the major scale on paper, and go “There”. Then I’ve picked up the guitar and practiced the major scaled over and over and over. Then later, say when working on walkups or downs, I’ve not been able to apply the theory and scale to say "Oh yeah, I’ve done this hundreds of times and to get to C to G I would do THIS. Nope. And I’d get frustrated.

So … I’m slowing down. I’m going to consciously try to take my Major Scale Worksheet knowledge and apply it to the major scale I’m getting ready to work on. Justin doesn’t say to do this, and maybe it comes later in the course, but I don’t want to get too far down the road and think “Well here I am again with disconnected knowledge, how did those other people figure it out and I haven’t? What did I miss?”

1 Like

Hi Mike, musical theory will enhance your guitar experience, specially when you have the chance to apply it to your everyday playing. About your hand just follow the instructions of your therapist and do not overwork it.

1 Like

Don’t be too dismissive of disconnected knowledge- One of my favourite experiences in learning music is when you suddenly make the connection between what seemed like different parts of theory and I see a bigger part of the picture. Ah… Lightbulb moments are the coolest :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t know if I mentioned it, but I had shoulder surgery two weeks before my hand surgery. Same side (left). I figured I’d just get it all out of the way at once. As it turns out, I’m not quite healed up enough to hold the guitar. Painful. Ouchie. There is still plenty of things for me to do guitar-wise, so all is not lost, but I can’t hold it like normal and even do strumming from there.