Your fav chord hammer on or pull off?

Hi Mark , @markr31
I do both in the short video of mine in the middle part are the hammers and pull-offs
You mean those differences that are a bit difficult to explain now, right? The OP’s question is about that middle bit of hammering and pulling the finger off the string without playing the snares with your strumming hand.
Hoop that helps ,if not tell me
Greetings

Mark.
There is single note play on single strings that involves hammer-ons and flick-offs as you are envisage them. These could be within riffs, or melodic motifs or soloing.
There is also scope to hammer-on and flick-off within chordal strumming. Sometimes the new embellishment notes being brought in from doing a hammer-on or flick-off are indeed - as you are thinking - first played with the on-going strumming and so their sound is not truly ringing out by the force of the fingers being hammered down or pulled away. But, equally, there are ways of doing the hammer-on and flick-offs that make the sound ring out between the strums. If you look again at the video @brianlarsen shared, that hammer-on to 2nd fret of the D string is happening between strums. The sound of hammering from open string to 2nd fret is all achieved by the hammer and not by a strum.

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses to my question everyone, and apologies that I could have explained it better!

I wasn’t so much about finding new variations of a chord (e.g. strumming Asus in stead of A), but more about playing notes on single strings before (leading to) a chord, during strumming a chord, in between strums of the same chord, and after a chord leading to another chord. I guess in some cases, the involves hammer in and pull off while playing a chord, and in other cases, playing short licks or notes in between chords - essentially adding note embellishments in and around chords while strumming.

Thank you for interpreting this and offering suggestions and examples, as well as encouragement to ‘have a go’ and make up my own.

Hi Andrew,
:see_no_evil: no one saw this one coming… :grin:

So many of Justin’s songs have that…for example Angie ,but there are bound to be better examples you’re going to get…have fun :sunglasses:
Greetings

One other Rolling Stones song that immediately comes to mind is Sweet Virginia

Thanks for the video @roger_holland - that’s the type of thing I was after! I’ll watch this a few times to replicate what you’re doing. Thanks for the effort you’ve gone to, to illustrate it.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
Glad and good to hear that I didn’t do it for nothing :sweat_smile:although this was the first time something took me no time after the Magpies finally became quiet (there are many here, beautiful but sometimes a bit loud)…
Greetings

I’m currently learning hammers and pull-offs in Grade 3 and am noodling about with The Pretenders - 2000 miles. Couple of interesting licks/pull-offs there using the G major scale.

I also like practising Ozzy Osbourne’s Crazy Train triads but haven’t gotten round to noodling the lick which seems too fast for me.

As part of my practice routine I have been trying to do the ho/po part in the middle of Californication riff but I am having trouble pulling it off.