Your Missed Live Acts Regrets/Successes

ā€œat Sun Devil Stadium when U2 were filming Rattle and Humā€

What? Really? Wow. I had no idea that Rattle and Hum was filmed or partially filmed at Sun Devil Stadium. Wow again :slight_smile: Not that I knew what Sun Devil Stadium was back in 1988, :slight_smile:

EDIT: to clarify, I have listened to it hundreds of times but I have never watched a video.

@MAS4R U2 had quite a love affair with Arizona in those days while they were getting huge. The first two dates on their Joshua Tree Tour were at the ASU Activity Center (maybe 10,000 seats for a concert). And the last two shows were just next door at Sun Devil Stadium where they sold out more than 70,000 seats each nights. 1987 was a good year for the lads from Dublin!

1 Like

@Metalbrain I saw Rush ONCE in high school, on the Roll the Bones tour. Really regret never getting to see them again, but that show was great. I think itā€™s why Roll the Bones is still probably my favorite album of theirs. A bunch of friends went and saw them in Junior High on the Presto tour and I was mad that I couldnā€™t go.

@Scratch1234 My wife and I went and saw Phil Collins last year and it was amazing! I wanted so badly to go see him when I was a kid but my mom wouldnā€™t let me, said tix were too expensive. He couldnā€™t play drums or do much besides sit and sing, but man can he still sing! And his son played drums, including on ā€œIn the Air Tonightā€ which Iā€™ve always dreamt about seeing him play live. I was bummed at first that he couldnā€™t play it, but his son absolutely KILLED IT!!

Regret that I never got to see Dave Matthews Band. always wanted to and their 2 CD live in Central Park is still one of my favorites. Wouldā€™ve loved to see U2.

I donā€™t know that it is a huge regret, but I used to love Hootie and the Blowfish. In college when they were huge, I worked with high school kids at our church and did a weekend retreat for a friendā€™s church in South Carolina and one of the other guys there was Brantley Smith who was their original drummer (and he played cello with them when they did Unplugged). that was pretty cool, to hear about them from someone who knew them.

Iā€™d LOVE to see Eric Clapton, but afraid that will be a big time regret as I donā€™t think that opportunity will present itself anytime.

1 Like

On the plus side, I just got 2 tickets for Eric Johnson at 25$ each so really 75 for two after taxes and fees. Not too bad. The show is in March. I am unfamiliar with the venue but looks smallish.

1 Like

Bo Diddley.

Just checking the tickets again for Iron Maidenā€™s Future Past Tour, theyā€™re between 70ā‚¬ and 102ā‚¬ right now. Itā€™s out of my budget this month, but maybe I could save some money and get me one as Christmas present :slight_smile:
Or maybe a far away seat for the Roger Waters ā€“ This Is Not A Drill goodbye tour, for 90ā‚¬, the last front seats are at 230ā‚¬ so thatā€™s a no noā€¦

Iron Maiden, totally. Unfortunately, they skipped AZ on this tour.

Dio is top of my list too. I had tickets to see him with Heaven & Hell in 2010(ish) just before we lost him. Iā€™d say Nirvana was the other.

Strangely one of my biggest successes was Black Sabbath with Ozzy not that many years ago. It was one of those where I wondered if I should just let it go, maybe Ozzy well past his best etc but it was a really good show and glad that I saw it.

Probably the biggest success of all those was seeing the ā€œbig 4ā€ (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth,Anthrax) play on the same bill at Knebworth some years ago now. Thatā€™s very much the music I love and with the well publicised differences between some of the bands itā€™s not something I thought would ever happen, and especially not the finale with them all on stage at once!

1 Like

I had a chance to see Stevie Ray Vaughan when I was in college, declined because I had a calculus exam to study forā€¦SRV died shortly afterward and Iā€™ve always regretted that decision.

Regret: Didnā€™t see Pink Floyd in the 80s in Australia.
Success: Have seen solo concerts (Roger twice, David once, Nick once).

Regret: Had a window of opportunity to see Metallica on their previous tour in London, but missed it.
Success: Saw Tool earlier this year, which was great.

Zeppelin and Skynyrd.

Happy with all the others I saw over the years, apart from The Jackson Five, I preferred Junior Walker & The All Stars who were supporting (I did not buy the tickets either !).

:sunglasses:

In progressā€¦

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

@Majik enjoy the show! I have seen them earlier in the year. Front row. What a gig that was. They were having such a good time on stage, I got to hear Reckless Life live. The only song they skipped (but luckily I heard it few years ago on the first reunion tour) was Estranged.

My semi-regret is Taylor Hawkinsā€™ Tribute show in September this year. I had the ticket in the basket. but decided not to purchase it because I thought it was unfair towards true Foo Fighters fans; I was never a huge fan (more accurate description is that I love their live shows, but donā€™t enjoy the albums). I felt bad the whole Saturday but when the show started and I had the live stream on, I realised I would emotionally not make it through this 6 hours long gig. So the regret morphed into some sort of a weird combination of sadness, relief, pain but also joy at seeing all the greats celebrating music and life of Taylor Hawkins.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the gig. Unfortunately, I was seated quite far away.

In fact the whole thing was a strange set-up. It was held in the Singapore National Stadium which is a pretty large stadium (55,000 seating). Apparently itā€™s the worlds largest free-span dome with a retractable roof, and it is a very impressive building.

IMO the gig hadnā€™t been well advertised. On the way there the taxi driver didnā€™t know there was a show there that evening, and the taxi drivers in Singapore normally know everything thatā€™s going on. Getting tickets wasnā€™t particularly difficult, even at fairly late notice (a few weeks ago), but the ticketing site seemed to indicate that tickets were running low.

The whole venue setup was strange: the stage was set about 2/3rds down the arena with a fenced in standing area at the front. Then the seating seem to have been distributed around the rest of the arena with some areas clearly out of use. This meant that some areas were quite a distance from the stage, but with a lot of empty space between us and the stage.

Iā€™m not sure if the ticket numbers were deliberately limited for some reason, or if they simply didnā€™t have the sales they expected. Iā€™m more used to gigs in places like Wembley Stadium or Knebworth Park which have been packed out with 80,000+ attendees (or even the Singapore F1 which had over 300,000 attending), so the empty space and distance felt a bit weird.

I would have thought a band as big as GnR would have attracted a larger audience, but Singapore is a small place (only about 5.5 million, far smaller than the population of greater London) and I think it would be a die-hard fan to travel from another country to see them, especially as they had quite a few dates around South East Asia and Australia.

Nevertheless, they put on a good show and the crowd were mostly enthusiastic, if a little ā€œpoliteā€ at times (probably because this is Singapore).

Another odd thing was that there was only one merchandise stand, and that was outside the venue. So if you wanted a T shirt you had to queue up for about an hour before you went through the ticket barriers. And it was uncovered so when it started to rain (albeit quite lightly) everyone was standing around getting wet.

I really enjoyed it and I would definitely go and see the band again. However, I think I would think twice about seeing them, or any other band, at that venue.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the concert Keith but it does look odd to see all that empty floor space. Surely the atmosphere wasnā€™t as good as if it had been full to the rafters?

No, exactly. Despite the emptiness of the place the band really put on a good show, and I donā€™t regret going.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Missed actsā€¦ quite a few actually. Living in New Mexico, we didnā€™t always get a lot of the ā€œBig Nameā€ bands but in the 80s most of them had shows in Phoenix or Denver - both about 500 miles from my home in Albuquerque. I had friends who saw the Stones & the Eagles - having a blast on their road trips there & backā€¦ so those 2 were at the top of the list. Always wanted to see Fleetwood Mac but never made it. Missed Aerosmith because of work once & I had tickets to ZZ Top but had a car accident on my way to the show. The show I kinda wish I would have missed was Van Halen in '81 - I had seats about 10 feet in front of the HUGE wall of speakers on the left of the stage which was GREAT but woke up the next morning with unbelievable ringing in my ears which I STILL HAVE 42 years later!!! Great concert but tinnitus ever sinceā€¦ NOT WORTH IT!!!

BEST concerts ever were The Kinks in the late 70s, the original Beach Boys & Santana. Once in June of '79, I was at work & this girl told me that sheā€™d won 2 tix to a show that night - would I like to go with herā€¦ I asked who was playing & where - she didnā€™t know the bands & neither did I. The venue was this tiny auditorium that seated maybe 500 and neither of us had ever heard of the bandsā€¦ turns out it was AC/DC opening up for Journey - it was AMAZING!!! When AC/DC did Whole Lota Rosie, everyone went WILD!!! :metal: Great memories!

Iā€™m not much of a concert-goer, but there have been some artists Iā€™d have loved to see live.

The ones that I feel lucky to have seen are the Rolling Stones last year in Vienna, Billy Cobham here in Budapest with some Hungarian players in the 2010s and Hungarian group KispĆ”l Ć©s a Borz about 2 months ago (they played their previous show in Budapest in 2010 but back then I wasnā€™t very interested in them). In 2007 I got to see Hungarian group Locomotiv GT on day 0 of the annual Sziget Festival - they stopped being active as a touring group in the mid-1980s, so it was one of the rare occasions to see them live (they played for 3+ hours).

Not counting the ones I couldnā€™t see because of my age or historical reasons (Western pop/rock groups only rarely ventured behind the Iron Curtain), these stand out:

• Roger Waters on multiple occasions, including earlier this year. Oh well, hope he will tour some more and play somewhere nearby if not here.
  • Ozzy Osbourne solo and with Black Sabbath on their last tour. He was scheduled to play here this year but has been sidelined due to health reasons.
  • Chick Corea played several times at the Palace of Arts solo and with his own group as well.
  • Keith Jarrett also played there more than once.
  • Deep Purple: they were my first favourite band, been burned out on them, then got back to listening to them time and time again. I guess they still have the chops, but the group is becoming more and more like the ship of Theseus.
  • Sting also played here several times. I wouldnā€™t call this a huge regret, but Iā€™m sure being at one of his concerts would have been cool.

Feel like i have missed out when never seen Stones live.
I was told that theire last gig in my area was not the bestā€¦ but it is still the Stones.
I also missed Alice in chains in Oslo in 1993 and 2010. And that feels even worse :see_no_evil:

Success: Prince

Failure: Tommy Emmanuel (oh and a zillion othersā€¦)

Best show: Greatful Dead/Santana Calavaras 1987

Brush with greatness: I (and friends) showed Niel Diamond how to play Hacky Sack (kicking the bean bag around with feet, for non-locals). Never saw him in concert though.