YouTube Copyrights

If you are just posting cover versions for fun, then you really should be able to ignore it.

As CT says:

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Michael, I recall there being posts on the Topic before. May be worth summarising and including in the AVOYP sub-category, pinned for easy reference. That said, given the volume of posts in AVOYP, it doesnā€™t come up as a concern that often.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the feeling, when you know nothing about these issues. Thanks for sharing your experience. Itā€™s like now I know that it happens to others too and thereā€™s nothing to really worry about.

As @CT

And as far as I can understand @MAT1953 I see no harm for us beginners to post our covers. The issue is definetely nasty for people posting their original work.

Anyway itā€™s been very interesting for me to understand how things work, thanks to @Majik for the clear explanation and to anybody else for their points of view.

4 Likes

At the end of the day Iā€™m an anarchist regarding most things, and certainly all things musical. I will play a clone tele, or pedal and take your song, which is a jumble of notes with an optional word salad, and do my thing with it/them. If I change a song by --letā€™s say 10%, I donā€™t feel a need to even give you any credit. If I do, itā€™s because I want to. My Sweet Lord, Free Falling, and many other songs are knocked off, recorded with new twists, and retitled, almost daily. What the heck is new under the sun with a I-IV-V progression? Oh wow, someone added a iv, how awesome.

Iā€™m unapologetic about it too. Eff Betty Crocker if I add another egg and more vanilla to the cake batter. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

David @DavidP
I do think something along the lines would be helpful for those of us that are new to all of this getting some communication from YT would cause some concern.
As it did to @SILVIA
Michael

1 Like

Thanks James @Socio
Will do a bit of investigating
Michael

Basically, Youtube bots gave you a compliment saying
ā€œThat sounds enough like the original for us to make sureyou donā€™t earn money out of itā€.

Really, take it as a compliment :smiley:

6 Likes

It did, but itā€™s vanished now and I canā€™t remember. I recognised it as a record label though. They identified it as ā€œwhat child is thisā€ - apparently an 1800s song set to the tune of Greensleeves and performed and recorded many, many times.

1 Like

Thatā€™s some estate management to hold on a 19th century song, wow!
Hope youā€™re well sir :metal:

1 Like

Good to see you back around Mark, Iā€™m great, are you going to the next OM?

Iā€™ve a seat front and centre in the audience this time around and looking forward to cracking open a beer from the beginning rather than after playing!!

1 Like

Sounds like a plan !

As to the whole YT copyrights thing, its never bothered or worried me and I have had a few get flagged. I am not after monetization anyway, its just a vehicle to share music here at the end of the day.

I have never had anything taken down due to such an ā€œinfringementsā€ on YT. The only place that happened was on Soundcloud where a number of my early songs were blocked due to copyright but its been a while since I posted there, so do not know what the current situation is in that respect.

I agree with Lieven, if you get flagged see it as a compliment and pat yourself on the back, for a job well done !

:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Uploaded today a video to YT for a AVOYP, just need to add some words before posting it.
However I got my first copyright claim, not a strike I think.
Thought I would post up a couple of screen shots for anybody like me who has not come across it before.
Copyright Details

The Copyright +1 on the second screenshot I presume means there is one claim, is it possible for others to make a claim as well?
Donā€™t think I need to take any action but at least the ā€˜botsā€™ must have thought it sounded like something!!!
Michael

2 Likes